Performance 1hdt rebuild - what to do, who to do it?

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Performance 1hdt rebuild - what to do, who to do it?

Unread post by mad_mat222 » December 16th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Did the head on my 1hdt. Have not pulled it apart yet but the cam is bent so who knows what else. It is going to be rebuilt so I will throw a bit of extra money at internals while I'm in there.

Has anyone had experience with spec these things up a bit. Don't really hear of performance heads or cams. I will put in a set of ceramic topped pistons and look at getting it balanced. Should make a difference. It's already got a Gturbo so will look at a bit of longevity.

Anyone know what the comp guys do to similar engines eg cam grinds, bigger valves etc?

Any recommendations for a rebuilder? I live in cairns. Freight would be a restriction sending it around the place. The IP and turbo are reco and new recently so it's just a long motor that I need done.

Cheers
Mat

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Re: Performance 1hdt rebuild - what to do, who to do it?

Unread post by mad_mat222 » December 27th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Has anyone ported the heads on a 1hdt? Does anyone know any of the comp guys who are using 1hdt/f/fte and what they have done to their donks? There are that many threads on various forums about pumps and Gturbo's or hiflow turbo's but nothing on internals and longevity. Engine Australia reckon they have some performance parts coming but no eta.

Any info to share???

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 27th, 2016, 10:07 pm

There are a few build threads here on the Forum from the early days (2003-'05ish I reckon) where people have put a lot of work into re-building their L/C's; IIRC, I reckon at least one of them included a lot of internal work, altho it may well have been a few of them??!? :frog:

Those 'serious builds' are all a fair while back now tho, & most of those posters haven't been around for quite a few years; but if you search thru the Member's Rides section for L/c's & engine rebuilds, or search thru the L/c Model Specific Tech section for 1HDT's you will probably find them. ;)

Good Luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » December 31st, 2016, 2:34 pm

Thanks Peter. I searched forum with no luck also extensively searched google. I see a lot of threads with people talking about rebuilds and the only real performance part mentioned is the ceramic coated pistons. No mention of porting or valve work what worked what didn't and money well spent options.

Did I miss something?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 11th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I think you might hafta read some of the Member's Ride threads - especially those from a few years back!! From what I recall, most of the discussion about that sort of work was sorta tucked away in the discussion about how heads got fitted, or the motor went back in... Not much to go on I know, but those early threads ARE worth a read to find out about what people did back then - and invariably, they are the vehicles that are still out there still plugging along without any hassles & fewer current posts, cos their driver/owner is now happy with what they've got & how their vehicle performs!! :thumb:

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » January 11th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Has anyone got any feed back on putting a 1hz cam into the 1hdt head. The result is (should be) better bottom end. Considering I drive my car like a tractor that's what I want. I don't drive much above 3000 rpm. 3300-3400 very very rarely.

Cheekyboy over on ih8mud did the same thing but did a grind. I don't think you would need to grind. The differences between the two are minimal and would give better bottom end. Not sure how much you would need to play with the timing to get the best tune.

This was the link to mud. Got hi-jacked a bit with waffle and the usual nay sayers:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hz-tu ... ft.172767/

The difference is on the inlet lobe with slightly more lift.

The bonus of using a 1hz cam is that they are cheap and plentiful.

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » January 11th, 2017, 8:18 pm

http://oztradez.net/product/toyota-1hdt ... nder-head/

Has anyone touched these? Two sayings come to mind: a fool and his money are soon parted and

Poor man pays twice.

For that price it would be worth a go

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » January 14th, 2017, 8:18 pm

I'm going to port and polish the head. Might do the intake as well and probably ceramic coat the exhaust manifold instead of polishing to keep heat out of the engine bay and pumped into the turbo. The below is a pretty good link that shows the painfully long process of polishing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iejDWSQEsqI

Does anyone have flow numbers from a standard 1hdt or Hz head. If the rebuilder has one once I'm done I ll get him to test it for interest sake.

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 18th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Ads injection in Mareeba is doing the rebuild. Insists on genuine everything which is costing more but greater peace of mind. Head is genuine and came from SMS in se qld. They were a couple hundred bucks cheaper on the head and not quite half price on the cam than Toyota dealers. Someone's having a lend.

Started the port and polish work today. 4 and a bit hours of grinding and buffing and the intake manifold runners are enlarged and smoothed, smoothed out and enlarged the intake manifold flange where the crossover bolts up and took the edge off the flange of the turbo housing (exhaust input side).

From the amount of stuffing around today, I won't be going mirror finish.

Haven't even started the head. Looking at the intake side I don't think I'll play with it too much. The exhaust side will get a polish but.

Using a polish kit from eBay included was mandrels. Works well. Using a new Ryobi die grinder. Big thumbs up. My air compressor (and the neighbour ) can't be enjoying this!

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 30th, 2017, 9:06 pm

WARNING. This has been done by a complete rookie and is in no way advice but a documentary of my tinkering.

This is what a $2000 piece of metal looks like before you start grinding it to pieces and hopefully not stuffing the valve seats.
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3513.JPG
And the exhaust gasket in situ. As can be seen there is a lot of material that can be removed. Trick is to do it without damaging that $2000 piece of metal. Plenty of ideas how to line up the ports including drilling in a dowel to key all the pieces. I just used the bolts and gravity. How the gasket naturally hangs is how its ported. This might not be an option if there is not enough meat in that position but was not an issue in this case.
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG
First one done. Five to go. Thank Christ this is a 12 valve head!
IMG_3515.JPG
So that pick shows into the exhaust runner. Not real pretty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mad_mat222 on March 31st, 2017, 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 30th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Pics didn't work mat222. :(

How about instead of trying to link to photobucket, you try going thru 'Post Reply' & then hitting 'Upload attachment' which is just below the Preview/Submit button before following the prompts to choose & add an image file or 5? That way the image will always be visible here too, & not disappear/de-link if you update or close your P/bucket acct! ;)

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 30th, 2017, 11:31 pm

IMG_3528.JPG
After about 10 hours you too can have an expensive(if you haven't stuffed it yet) shiney piece of metal. You know your getting there because the light starts to get brighter in the runner and its easier to see.

Then I started on the valve side. Before
IMG_3518.JPG

A quick hit with 60 grit flapper and it's on its way to being shiney. Note the square edge of the valve guide. I rounded that off later.
IMG_3519.JPG
You can't see any of the work done on the short side radius. There is a really big lip in this head. It was a bit tricky to get at and had to be attacked from both sides but smoothed right out and will make a difference.

Then started on the intake. Was not going to even bother but the bug had caught hold and I thought I would just give it a touch up. Well 7 hours later and I did. Before
IMG_3534.JPG
Got a bit sloppy taking photos but you get lost in the whir of the grinder and lose track of time and the last thing on your mind is photos so apologies but you get the idea.

This photo of the intake valve side shows a bit of shaping. Doesn't show how smoothed out the ramp is.
IMG_3541.JPG

By the way using a die grinder is butchery but gets material out fast. It's offset by the time spent smoothing out the bit marks though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mad_mat222 on March 31st, 2017, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 31st, 2017, 12:24 am

Intake runner before
IMG_3535.JPG
After some shaping. Forgot to take a pic of it all polished up. This was after just the carbide burr work. Not much material was removed just casting marks and minor shaping.
IMG_3542.JPG
I think about 20hrs plus went into it. As long as the mechanic says I didn't stuff it will be all good. Would do it again. Best to do if you have nothing better to do, no girlfriend or wife.

Don't wear your Sunday best.
IMG_3522.JPG
I did the turbo and exhaust manifold. Having them ceramic coated so cleaned them up.
IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 31st, 2017, 12:33 am

IMG_3436.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG
I didnt mess around to much here because i dont know what im doing. The last thing i want to do is stuff the Gturbo.

I did port match and polish in the feed side of the turbo housing and i think this should help a bit. Plus its getting coated to help with heat loss and try and keep some heat out of the engine bay and my TMIC.
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 31st, 2017, 12:51 am

Head gasket in place. Traced around the combustion area. Ended up leaving the gasket in place to make sure that only the right areas were worked and gasket leaks did not occur due to poor (shiney/polished) head surface. Left a nicer finish too. I used 2x 8mm drill bits to key the gasket in place.
IMG_3543.JPG
The valve areas had very sharp pronounced edges. I smoothed them out. I wanted to take out more but not sure about how much this was going to effect compression ratio and ultimately performance. I was happy with round. Anything more drastic i think you would want machined for consistency, otherwise you could end up with big compression differences.
IMG_3549.JPG
I used 240 grit then a medium cross buff then a fine and finished with a polishing cloth/buff wheel thing using a white compound. If i did it again i would find some angle grinder attachments and hit it with 11000 RPM's of polishing fury. I didnt get mirror finish, but i was still happy enough with the result. I was a bit pushed for time. If i did it again i would have gone down to 320 and what every is finer than that. I also would like to try using wet and dry papers on it and just use RP7 or similar. I reckon that would work.
IMG_3551.JPG
You can see a lot of little ripples. I think that is because of the size of the die grinder sanding cartridges i was using. To do the combustion chamber again i would try and use an angle grinder or similar large diameter sanding disk/buff wheel.

And the whole thing done.
IMG_3553.JPG
Some things that worked. 60 grit flapper wheels did an awesome job for the initial smoothing work particularly after the carbide burr. Should have got a few different grits and did larger areas with them. Draw back is small shaft length.

Extra length carbide burrs were really handy. 140mm shaft length i think.

Don't bother doing this with a cheap compressor. You'll hate yourself and the job will just not get done efficiently. If your waiting for your compressor to catch up every 5 minutes multiplied by 24hrs, that's a looooooonnnnngggg time. You can not spend enough on a good compressor.

Cover any metal shaft with a plastic sheath. I used a silicon type tubing. Something really soft. I hit the valve seals a few times but I didn't mark them. One shaft I used fabric tape but I was not as confident with that. It was not smooth, started to fray over time and effected the efficiency of the die grinder. The tubing is used for fish tank aerators etc. not much you can do about the chuck. Bit of thin tyre tube but when it grips it really throws the grinder around. The shaft protection was good enough.

Would recommend to any one. As long as your gentle and take your time it's fine even if you just polish to a rough finish and don't do any grinding will make a difference.

If anyone else has got something to add to this please jump in.
Last edited by mad_mat222 on March 31st, 2017, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”