PJ Ranger timing belt thrown - fix it or replace engine?

brett5141
Here and there

PJ Ranger timing belt thrown - fix it or replace engine?

Unread post by brett5141 » January 30th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Hi all,
So yesterday I was driving slowly and my pj ranger diesel died and wouldn't start again.
I pulled to the side of the road and it wouldn't crank over.
Had it towed home and the local mechanic came home and had a look and said the timing belt has gone and caused damage inside (I'm no expert but what he was saying didn't sound good)
Basically he's saying replacement of the timing belt and damaged parts will be a fair whack looking at around $2500-3000, this will mean a lot of work including replacing the thermostat, stuff to do with the egr etc..
A replacement engine apparently is about $6000.

My motor has about 120,000, can anyone tell me what I should do and how much I should expect to pay?
Does the $2500 sound reasonable if a fair bit of a mess has been done?

Thanks in advance.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Re: PJ Ranger timing belt thrown - fix it or replace engine?

Unread post by Chamberlain » February 21st, 2016, 7:55 pm

Brett, that's unusual for a timing belt to break, unless it wasn't replaced? I think service interval was around 100 to 120kkm, but the general feel is any time after 80kkm from what I have heard. It must have been the original?
Well, you are in a state now.
When you say "replacement engine" - what does that entail? New/recon/second hand? You didn't say.
But really, at 120kkm, your engine would still be expected to be in very good condition - other than the broken belt and associated damage. Is that a firm quotation? A friend of mine just had a rocker break on another diesel vehicle. it cost him over 3k I think.
I think do some homework and get a proper quote from someone who knows what they are doing before you make an educated decision.
All the best with it
Rex

Return to “Engine and Driveline”