5le turbo - can I use a CT20 & Surf pipework on my 02 Hilux?

Dann_98
Here and there

5le turbo - can I use a CT20 & Surf pipework on my 02 Hilux?

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 3rd, 2016, 5:23 pm

Hi

Just wondering whether it is possible to use a ct20 turbo and pipework off a surf to turbo my 2002 5le xtracab Hilux. As far as I know they are very similar engines the 2lte and 5le besides the engine size. I know the ct20 turbo will be small for the 3 litre and will run out off puff at the top end. This will not worry me as I am looking for more suck down low as I'm going to swap to higher diff ratios so not working as hard at 100. Also will not go to crazy with boost as motor has just ticked over 200k just keep it around 6-7 lbs. Just wanting to know wether this will be possible and any problems I could run into. Also being an electronic injection I am thinking I will need to get ecu reprogrammed/chipped to adjust fuel delivery for turbo, other crazy idea i thought of was if a 2lte ecu would match 5le wiring harness then would not need to get chip just install the new ECU. Any thought/ experiences of people doing this would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dan.
Last edited by Dann_98 on January 20th, 2016, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: 5le turbo - can I use a CT20 & Surf pipework on my 02 Hi

Unread post by typhoeus » January 3rd, 2016, 8:21 pm

try these threads mate,
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=104102
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=117510
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=155903
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=141285

That should get you pointed in the right direction.
for more research try looking under the Hilux topic viewforum.php?f=72&start=125
good luck

Dann_98
Here and there

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 6th, 2016, 8:20 am

Thanks for that though need some more info on ecus will a manual surf ecu fit 5le. Cmon guys please need some help on this before I go purchasing parts also will sump from surf fit as I believe they have oil return tapped into sump already.

Thanks

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » January 7th, 2016, 6:22 pm

The top line of posts I put up before has detailed instructions on how to plumb the return feed back to the block with out modifying the sump. I think that is the most comprehensive set of instructions on how to do what you want to do that you will find anywhere. If its too hard, you might be better to get someone to do it for you.
you could also PM 1993hiluxsr5 , if he is still around, he might be able to help you with those ecu questions

Dann_98
Here and there

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 10th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Have come to conclusion that the ecu are slightly different ie. Plugs at the back so will have to rewire the 2lte ecu in. It should be relitivley easy as both engine share the same sensors except for the boost pressure sensor. This should allow me to not use chip as the 2lte will control fuel injection relative to boost pressure, effectively acting as a boost compensated fuel pump on a non efi engine. With regards to oil return the you cant run it back into the block as this is where oil feed will come from. So will have to run return to sump or utilise the vacumn/ alternator return. Going to do compression test tomorrow and if all checks out will go ahead with turbo. If not will wait till due for rebuild then turbo it.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » January 10th, 2016, 6:55 pm

post up some pics as you progress, All info is useful to someone who wants to do what you are doing.
Good luck with it

Dann_98
Here and there

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 10th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Thanks for your help mate. Will do that as there is not much info on doing a turbo on 5le.

Cheers Dann

Dann_98
Here and there

Re: 5le turbo - can it be done

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 20th, 2016, 11:50 pm

Finally got around to compression testing the old girl and all was good. 550 to 535 ( think my gauge may be reading a bit high as standard is 460 but they were close so that is the main thing). I think I will go ahead with it now considering compression good and motor still seems very strong. I have not had much time to get parts ready but have got:

Exhaust manifold, dump pipe, ecu, crossover pipes and few other bits for 300 dollars.
I'm not sure about using a 2lte ecu as it will be a fair bit of mucking around to wire in, ( so if anyone has a secondhand 5le chip that they want to get rid of pm me).

Also ebay has rebuilt ct20 turbos for 300 with 12 month warranty so will go down that route for turbo.
Will post up again with pics once I can get some time to gather the remaining bits.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 22nd, 2016, 12:36 pm

When testing Diesel engines for potential longevity/reliability & to see if they are in good overall condition (& to see if they are worth turbo-ing) unless you do & get good results across the board with a bleed down/leak down test as well as getting good results from the compression test & confirming that it starts easily hot &/or cold EVERY time & that it uses little oil between scheduled changes etc, then getting good results from the compression test alone really doesn't give you a heap of valuable info or in any way reliably suggest that the engine is in good overall condition or up to handling a turbo.... :o

Did you get good results on the bleed down/leak down test? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Dann_98
Here and there

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 23rd, 2016, 12:06 pm

I agree that a leakdown test is better indication of an engines condition than a compression test, however I don't have a leak down tester and it uses next to no oil between 5000 services. When turboing a car you can never be certain about its condition and longevity, there is always a risk of bottom end failure which you cant detect with any test except pulling the motor which by then you may as well rebuild it. Thanks for the reply and I will get a leakdown done to satisfy my curiosity as well. Oh and it starts well hot or cold every time.

Cheers

Dann.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”