Toyota Hilux 2KD-FTV - will an Intercooler help power?

pawcu
Getting to know the place

Toyota Hilux 2KD-FTV - will an Intercooler help power?

Unread post by pawcu » December 23rd, 2015, 7:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I did some research already but I still cannot find the answer to my question. I am still a bit green when it comes to this topic so feel free to redirect me to another post.
I have a 2003 Toyota Hilux 270VX with a 2.5L D4D 2KD-FTV engine without an intercooler. I was planning to add a bullbar, air snorkel and some bigger tyres on my pickup and wanted to get some more power from the engine (as it will be doing more work). As it is I already feel that it is a bit laggy from standstill and was wondering if adding an intercooler would help. I might consider adding a chip as well.
Having said that, should i just get the chip (any product suggestions)? Should i get a top mount or a front mount interooler? I heard that top mount would have less turbo lag which is better for my case but considering that I will mostly be doing city driving with it, i was worried about heat soak after a while. Then again not sure if the snorkel with the front mount will cause even more lag.
Should you have any questions please ask :) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

pawcu

Re: Toyota Hilux 2KD-FTV - will an Intercooler help power?

Unread post by pawcu » January 2nd, 2016, 4:20 am

Anyone please? :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 2nd, 2016, 9:27 am

An intercooler by itself won't make any significant difference to power....

To get more power from a diesel, you need to burn more fuel efficiently in the engine with each power stoke; but if you wind the fuel up so the Air Fuel Ratio is biased towards more fuel rather than sufficient charge air, you'll probably blow the motor.... Going back a bit - Compressing the charge air as it goes thru the turbo (or supercharger) increases its heat, and when that hot charge air gets into the cylinders & hit by the compression stroke, it gets even hotter again. The power stroke gets hotter again as it burns the fuel/air mix. Inject too much fuel to the cylinder (or inject it inefficiently) & the burn gets extremely hot very quickly & your Exhaust Gas Temps rapidly reach 'melt metal' temps, and if you do that too often or hold them there for a split second too long, your engine is toast!! :eek:

All an intercooler really does is reduce the charge air temp after the very first compression process (the one done by the turbo charger) so that your engine & EGT's will take a bit longer to reach those 'melt metal' temps - if you want to risk it, by fitting an intercooler you can reduce the rapidity of reaching those temps a little, allowing you to pump in a little more fuel (if the pump is capable of delivering it & the injectors can handle it) before things go bang! But without making any other changes, pretty much all that fitting an intercooler will do is reduce the charge air temps & lower the boost a little (that happens cos the intercooler has a larger volume inside it than a straight pipe!) - basically, intercoolers are aids to improve engine reliability & longevity, but if you take advantages of those benefits, you can wind up the fuel & get more power within that improved reliability & longevity envelope; push too much fuel in & it gives you more power momentarily but at the cost of the gains you made in reliability & longevity.... But fitting an intercooler all by its lonesome WONT necessarily give you any more power! ;)

Oh, and because of the 'greater volume' thing inherent in passing compressed charge air thru a cooler/heat exchanger, without making even more compensatory changes, fitting an intercooler will generally INCREASE turbo lag issues rather than decrease them :(

There's a whole lot more to getting more power safely & reliably out of diesels than just winding up the fuel &/or fitting an intercooler.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

pawcu

Unread post by pawcu » January 2nd, 2016, 6:25 pm

Wow thanks! This explained a lot :)
Ok so if i plan to get a chip I think it is better if I get an intercooler. The bigger the better right? :P

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 2nd, 2016, 9:06 pm

Fixed your post above - there is rarely any need to quote just to reply; in fact, please don't, try to use 'quick reply' or 'post reply' instead - if you quoted before making any reply when you were down the pub, you'd probably get yourself snotted!! It doesn't help make the discussion any easier here either. ;)

As for ''the bigger the better right?' - NO!! :eek:

In fact, just going bigger with the intercooler for the helluvit the worse off you'll be!! The bigger you go the more the boost drops and the more it increases turbo lag!! You need to get an intercooler that matches your charge airflow volume & boost, & yet is still 'efficient' enough to evenly cool the charge air as it passes thru without allowing it to expand too much & lose too much boost or create too much turbulence or hot spots in the intercooler... Best to get some reputable diesel tuning advice based upon YOUR vehicle, snorkel, air filter set-up etc & the sort of use & power output you want.

BTW, you need to be very careful with choosing chips - they work by over-riding the multi-million dollar tune that has been designed by the vehicle manufacturer to let your diesel run with a reasonable power output/fuel economy balance as well as reliably enough to run at least until it runs out of warranty..... dick around with that state of tune without being aware of what you are doing or feed the computer doctored readings so that the I/P pumps too much more fuel and you WILL be risking reliability & longevity; you can up the power a little (often at the cost of fuel economy) by very judicious adjustments of some parameters, but that won't be what a cheap chip does, and might not even be what an expensive chip from a 'less than reputable' supplier does; and YOU get to foot the bill if (or should that be when?) your engine blows!!

You'd probably be better off 'blue-printing' or optimising what you've got & making it work as best it can within the OE Specs without adding chips or biiiig intercoolers - Toyota did spend a lot of money on developing something that wouldn't cost them too much in blown motor warranty claims etc, and you'd be surprised at how much better bringing everything properly up to spec can be instead of the 'that's near enough' way it left tha factory!! Oh, and if you want the best power & acceleration you can get from your vehicle, don't fit taller tyres!! That'll sap both, but might give you a little more ultimate top speed and better ground clearance, maybe even make it easier to climb over some things off road, IF your engine can drive the taller gearing!! Basically, most things that help you most off road won't necessarily help you much on road, and the best off roader vehicles won't ever be the greatest on road vehicles (for power or handling!) You just get to choose where to compromise! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

pawcu

Unread post by pawcu » January 2nd, 2016, 9:22 pm

Yes i've heard the last part alot hehe. I just really like the way it looks like that xD
I was thinking of going for the steinbauer chips. Some people on other forums and google seem to like them but I will do some more research. Unfortunately right now i still do not have a snorkel attached so it might be a good idea to get that and the air filter fixed hehe.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”