105 series cruiser mods - need advice on what & how please?

ThomasBush
I'm new, be nice!

105 series cruiser mods - need advice on what & how please?

Unread post by ThomasBush » September 16th, 2015, 6:24 pm

G'day guys,

new member here just looking for a bit of advice.
I’ve recently purchased a 2003 105 series.
it has a 1HZ with an aftermarket turbo (not sure which brand) put on at 250,000km running about 9 and a half pounds of boost.
it’s got just over 300,000km on it and it runs like a dream. just had a major service and timing belt done.

I’m going to start modding it soon as it was stock apart from the turbo when i got it.
I have put a 3" exhaust on it and a turbo gauge and soon to put a EGT gauge on.

I just want a bit of advice on what kind of snorkel, air intake, and intercooler on it as I’m not too familiar with diesels.
I’m looking at a water cooler as air to air intercoolers don’t do too much when driving around town.
also thinking of getting an air box and 4"snorkel made but I have yet to find one that isn’t ridiculously priced so I’m thinking of making my own.

so if anyone has any info or advice on how to go about these things myself it would be much appreciated :)

cheers.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: 105 series cruiser mods

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » September 16th, 2015, 10:31 pm

1HZ running 9 psi your going to get next to no increase in power from an intercooler, and any pipeing is likely to loose any gains you make,

As for the air intake and the snorkel its doent matter so much with diesels. With your setup i doubt you will get any chagne from the snorkel.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

ThomasBush
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 105 series cruiser mods

Unread post by ThomasBush » September 17th, 2015, 7:24 am

Thanks mate

I'm not fussed about power im happy with where its at i just want to add a bit of reliability and make it last a bit longer as i do drive long distances.

also i may be hanging the turbo in the future for more boost but ive been advised not to as too much boost can crack heads or pistons without internal work. so if i get all intake and intercooler sorted now then I'll be getting it ready for any future work.

thanks

THE GHOST
Been here a while

Re: 105 series cruiser mods - need advice on what & how plea

Unread post by THE GHOST » January 23rd, 2016, 8:26 pm

Hi there,
Running 1hz 100 series with water intercooler 3inch pipe that runs average of 12 to 14 boasts with no over heating issues, climbing up long step Hills it starts to get up around 500 egts.
The biggest power increase was the gas injection.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”