1hd-fte Gearbox & Clutch - rebuild it, go used, or Recon?

StumpyB
Here and there

1hd-fte Gearbox & Clutch - rebuild it, go used, or Recon?

Unread post by StumpyB » August 8th, 2015, 2:20 pm

So on my first big camping trip in the 79 series up the Kimberly and El Questro, I had the great misfortune of sh!tting a gear box on my first afternoon at Elquestro.
We were heading out to one of the fishing holes when on the 4wd track the cruiser started struggle getting fuel. Stalled a few times, but I was able to get it going enough to drive by keeping the revs right up. This was good for a couple hundred metres till we hit a rough section. As I tried to select 2nd from 3rd I was greeted by quite an angry sounding crunch.
We managed to tow it in to the fishing spot, caught my self a barra and towed it back to camp.

The general opinion of the mechanical minded mates around me was a snapped or stripped input shaft.
After tilt traying it into Kununarra and talking to a mechanic,he said it could very well be but you don't know till you look inside. He also thinks the fuel issue at the start could have been caused by the gearbox sensors playing mind games with the ECU where the Gearbox and Fuel Pump cross paths. But that's not worrying me to be honest.
With all that in mind I put the big girl and a roadtrain bound for home, while I skipped over the few thousand k's, thanks to VIrgin.

So the question is; Do I have my box rebuilt, Do I trade it in for another rebuilt box, or do I spend the little extra and get a brand spanking box.

Also what are the best clutches going, I'll definitely be going a heavy duty, but what should I be looking for in a clutch.

zacthegreat5
Here and there

Re: 1hd-fte Gearbox & Clutch - rebuild it, go used, or Recon

Unread post by zacthegreat5 » August 13th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Hey mate.
It depends, are you going to do the work yourself? Can the vehicle stay off the road a few weeks?
If the answers are yes yes. Then I'd pull the box and transfer and send them off to a reputable joint for reco. Have them save the stuffed parts to show you what went wrong how and why and how they have sorted the problem or what the next thing you need to do to sort the problem is. Get a direct clutch heavy duty organic clutch. Great clutch for the money you pay. Light on the foot for the clamping power they have. While your in the area pull the flywheel and get it machined and get new bolts for it. Consider any other mods you might do while the box and transfer is out. I'm not sure what mods are available for your rig but I would consider things like a strengthened overdrive in the gearbox, reduction gears for the transfer or an overdrive gear. You don't want to have to do it all again down the track. It's a prick of a job.
Good luck with it all mate.
80 series! 2" ironman profoam lift, 33" maxxis 980. Dual batts, solar, inverter, rear bar with dual swing aways, roof rack. Humble beginnings.

StumpyB
Here and there

Unread post by StumpyB » August 14th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Yeah, Me and the mechanics from work are going to tackle it over a weekend probably. It's been of the road for a few weeks, but once we have it in the workshop we need to pretty much get it out.
I made a few calls the other day and the general quote I'm getting is around the $3700 mark to get a reconditioned box. Was also "quoted" $2700-$3700 to recondition mine. Of course that cant be determined until the box is inspected.

I think I'll Probably just replace it and trade my current box to hopefully get a bit of the purchase price back.

zacthegreat5
Here and there

Unread post by zacthegreat5 » August 14th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Yeah sounds like a solid plan. Atleast that way its a box out box in kind of deal. No leaving it on the hoist while your box gets rebuilt.
Well I think if you work at a mechainic joint youll have no problems. I did mine with a mate who had a hoist without a transmission jack or a clutch aligning tool. Good times, but we still knocked it over in a weekend.
Goodluck with it anyhow
80 series! 2" ironman profoam lift, 33" maxxis 980. Dual batts, solar, inverter, rear bar with dual swing aways, roof rack. Humble beginnings.

StumpyB
Here and there

Unread post by StumpyB » August 14th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Na I'm a truckie, but our work shop is equipped to drop much larger gearboxes and stuff. We'll do it over the pit with a gearbox jack. Once I've got everything together it'll just be a matter of finding a day when a couple of the boys are free and we'll smash it out.

Just need to find a box, seems as though everyone in Perth wants to order one from over east so I may just look at getting one directly from over there.

zacthegreat5
Here and there

Unread post by zacthegreat5 » August 26th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Yeah check out these guys. I get all my gear off them. Pretty fair on price too, if it's not too late anyway, sorry for the late reply I was out bush for a couple of weeks.
https://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/sho ... Categories

StumpyB
Here and there

Unread post by StumpyB » September 12th, 2015, 12:31 pm

so time for an update, been an exspencive couple of weeks.
So I found a recon gearbox and replaced the the box and clutch to have no positive results, still getting the same grinding noise and no drive.
Bit more testing and we discovered it has to be the transfer. Got my hands on a recon transfer installed it and I finally have drive again.
But..... why is there always a but. When compression breaking, even with low revs there a hollow, tingy clunk. Hoping it was just the unis, which had a small about of play and wouldn't take grease, I bought a new tailshaft. Yeah, Probably didn't need to replace the whole shaft, but it had been welded and balanced and looked dodgy as, so Why not spend a little more and swap it out.
But... Yes another one. I've still got the clunk.
If I put the transfer into H4 with or with out the hubs locked I don't get the clunk. It's a bit weird. Think I'm going to have to get another opinion soon. The boys at work are getting snowed under, so I reckon I'll have to try find a mechanic to take it too.

oh,and on a side note. Be really careful with sensors on the transfer case. They're between $100-$250 from toyota.

Toy12HT
Here and there

Unread post by Toy12HT » August 23rd, 2017, 11:12 pm

So stumpy, what was the final outcome.
I'm pulling the engine/gearbox/transfer out for a bit of a freshen up. Currently at 350,000 and just starting to blow a little oil when started but pump and injectors could do with some work.
Always good to hear how other people went about their rebuild projects.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”