Best top mount intercooler & aftermarket turbo for GU TD42T

overit
Been here a while

Best top mount intercooler & aftermarket turbo for GU TD42T

Unread post by overit » July 31st, 2015, 3:50 pm

G'day all.

I am wanting to get a bigger top mount intercooler for my 99 GU TD42T Wagon and through my research Adrad has come up as one of the best cores for the TD42T, problem is they don't actually make one for the TD42T so wondering which ones people are using on theirs? I am also looking at upgrading the factory turbo to a ball bearing turbo as well. Is there any good complete kits out there that people recommend? I have a factory top mount cooler and scoop in it at the moment running max 15psi boost to a 3" straight through mandrelly bent exhaust from the turbo but haven't put it on the dyno yet. Thinking I will upgrade the lot then dyno tune.

What have you got and how much boost are you pushing? Also, what's a decent 52mm pyro gauge for EGTs?

Cheers for the info and help!

overit
Been here a while

Re: Best top mount intercooler & aftermarket turbo for GU TD

Unread post by overit » August 2nd, 2015, 10:53 pm

Anyone???

I'm getting max 440 deg C EGTs at the moment unloaded up hills with 33's and 15psi boost going 120kph whilst overtaking fraight trains, but I haven't touched the fuel pump yet so I might be able to get some more out of it winding up the fuel pump to cool the EGTs and maybe go up to 20psi boost with the factory turbo? It kicks in at 1200rpm ATM. I know going a garret BB turbo would be better again but it pulls well at the moment as is and if I don't have to spend $3000 on a better turbo kit (that's not including intercooler) I would be happy as that is a s)$& load of .338LM ammo and fuel for trips to the centre for camels! If I can get 20psi, 500 deg C EGTs with a bigger intercooler and factory turbo I will be very happy!

I'll be running 35's or 37's depending on the trips so more cooling power the better! Going to go to the wreckers tomorrow to see if I can find a TD42T air box lid to try modding it to accept a 3" pipe from the air box straight to the turbo to maximise airflow and cold air intake. Will save me $400 if it works! If it does, I'll post a thread up here to show what I did if it works too!

What's everyone running for their aftermarket top mount intercoolers? I would go glycol but this thing will be doing mainly highway use but will have nitros injection into the top mount when off road (low range stuff).

Info will be greatly appreciated!

DeepThought
Been here a while

Re: Best top mount intercooler & aftermarket turbo for GU TD

Unread post by DeepThought » January 7th, 2016, 8:00 am

I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure winding up the fuel pump for more fuel on a diesel will result in higher EGT's not lower ones unless you do get more airflow to compensate for the extra fuel. Diesels work differently to petrol engines so I'm pretty sure I'm right on that point, so you want to be careful about over fuelling. I'm happy to be corrected though.

As for top mounts try http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au they seem to have a good one. I've got a Denco air-water system on mine but I'm considering a Cross Country one for my 1HD-FTE because I'm sick of the water leaks on the air-water ones.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”