Power Steering Belt Tensioner Cracked

Rocky F78
Here and there

Power Steering Belt Tensioner Cracked

Unread post by Rocky F78 » February 27th, 2016, 10:05 pm

So after a recent service my power steering belt began to squeal. My bro-in-law who is a qualified mechanic but lives on the Sunshine Coast had a look while down here in Syd and tried adjusting it but noticed that the actual assembly is cracked and it's not possible to adjust it anymore.

I've been looking everywhere online and contacted as many wreckers as I could find to see if they had the part but none do.

Any suggestions on how I could go about getting this fixed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Power Steering Belt Tensioner Cracked

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Hi Rocky, can you measure how long the bracket bit should be??

If you can give me a reasonable idea of that length I might be able to find one in amongst the collection of Rocky & Feroza parts that I have in the shed... ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Rocky F78
Here and there

Unread post by Rocky F78 » February 28th, 2016, 10:01 am

Hi Peter, thanks for your quick response.

I've marked the image and and the section I've marked is roughly 3.5".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 28th, 2016, 10:12 am

Ta, I'll go have a bit of a search! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 28th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Not much joy Rocky! The two different versions I can find are significantly different.... & the alternator brackets/tension slides are even more completely different! :(

One of those I found is about 140mm long with about 85 mm of slot for tensioning, & the rest is a slightly offset bracket with 2 holes in it that bolts directly onto the block. The other one is a pretty big lump of cut, bent, & shaped metal plate that is totally different to what you show & runs a tensioning screw as well as the slotted section & a bolt to hold that firm as well as 3 fairly widely spaced bolts to secure it directly to the block. Sooo... I don't think either will be of much help to you, sorry.

I guess the only thing that I can offer at this stage is to suggest you see if you can find a metal worker, engineering place, or maybe a backyard/handyman parts or toolmaker & see if anyone can fab up a good enough replacement for you. It doesn't look like it'd be too hard, especially with the right gear to do the job. Cut an appropriate length of 1/4 or 3/8th plate; drill out the pivot hole & then one hole at each end of the slotted section in the correct sizes; then use a smaller drill to rough in the outline of the slot before using a file, mill, or even a hacksaw to join the little holes & finish the slot. Wrap it all up by using a bench grinder (or hacksaw & file) to finish the outline to the appropraite shape. Using hand tools & roughly doing it that way, I'd estimate it'll be maybe 2 hours worth of work; with the right power tools & a grinder or mill etc, I'd be surprised if a good machinist would take 15-20 mins once it was all measured & laid out, so maybe $20 or so for the material & a case of whatever their preferred beer is sorta price?? :thumb:

Or if they REALLY don't want to do it so they give you a ridiculous price just to get you to go away or make their day, $4-500?? :p

Good Luck~! ;)

Rocky F78
Here and there

Unread post by Rocky F78 » February 29th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Hi Peter, thanks so much for going to all that trouble having a look and for the advice you've given. I don't really know anyone personally that could do what you're suggesting. I might have to look for a metal worker etc and hope they don't charge through the roof.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres and Suspension”