2015 Grand Cherokee banging noise front driver wheel well

Kappy854
I'm new, be nice!

2015 Grand Cherokee banging noise front driver wheel well

Unread post by Kappy854 » January 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Hello Peeps,

First time caller. I hope everyone had a great Australia Day yesterday?
Just wondering if any other Jeep owners think that the issue I am about to ask about is common or if anyone has any ideas as to what it is.

I need to have as much knowledge & lingo as possible when I take car back to dealer as i do not want to receive a 'Could not locate fault' response.

My GC recently starting making a banging noise from front driver wheel well or around that area when going over bumps. Kind of a bump and subsequent rattle or residual banging following contour of road. Happens regardless of driving in straight line or turning.

But just when I am driving to work thinking I need to ring and book a service, it stops.

I dont want to book it in when service guys cannot hear the sound as they will just ignore it.

But it has come & gone a couple of times now. The last being over the long weekend driving from Narrabri to Sydney with no service mechanics open over long weekend.
Very distracting when driving. But no noticable feeling in driving wheel or car itself. Just the noise.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would be very appreciative of any thoughts you might have.

At least it will give me a list of things to ask the sevice guys to check.

Thanks in advance!

Kappy

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: 2015 Grand Cherokee banging noise front driver wheel wel

Unread post by typhoeus » January 27th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Have you got under &had a look yourself? I would be checking shocker mounts, swaybars etc. Check around the main bolts where the control arms bolt to the subframe for shiny metal which would indicate its loose etc Wriggle everything to see if you get any movement or noise.
. . . And welcome to the forum,
PS heres a link to a similar jeep issue http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/41-wheels-t ... ise-2.html

Kappy854
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kappy854 » January 27th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Hey thanks Typhoeus!
Hmm I will try and have a look if I can work out what all of the above bits are. But it is good to have your thoughts as I can then go back to service and ask they specifically check these parts.

goldiexxxx
Been here a while

Unread post by goldiexxxx » January 27th, 2016, 7:52 pm

I would check the shock absorber. Had a similar situation in a work Hilux. The shocker upper mount was completely snapped through, made some noise when driving at speed.
Goldie

Kappy854
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kappy854 » January 28th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Thanks Goldie!

Return to “Wheels, Tyres and Suspension”