Will an IFS spring lift, lift the chassis???

Been here a while

Will an IFS spring lift, lift the chassis???

Unread post by 953 » December 16th, 2015, 9:11 pm

Does it ?
Cheers Dean.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Will an IFS spring lift, lift the chassis???

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 16th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Yes. And it'll even lift the IFS Diff itself when that's mounted on or part of a chassis cross member; but it will not lift a rear beam axle/solid diff housing or the front wheel hubs etc.

That said, the front hubs & spindles etc on an IFS vehicle will only be lifted higher off the ground by fitting larger dia wheels &/or taller tyres, and the CV & steering arm angles will be increased by any suspension lift & thereby lessen their 'strength' (which is partly why the 'safe limit' for lifting IFS vehicles is generally 30-35'ish mm's) and if you fit a diff drop kit to reduce those angles & regain the OE strength in those components, you are going to be dropping the diff back closer to where it was before.... :purplex:

And of course, while lifting the front suspension will raise the diff centre up a little, lifting the solid rear axle suspension won't raise that diff at all - once again, only fitting larger dia wheels &/or tyres will achieve that.... So you can often achieve just as much true 'lift' or ground clearance & approach, departure, & ramp over angles on the vehicle by simply fitting the larger dia wheels &/or tyres all around & maybe doing some judicious panel beating, wheel arch rolling, or possibly even trimming the wheel arches - you generally only hafta do that sorta stuff to the front on many utes/tray tops, unless things are pretty tight up the back too! And by doing it that way, you don't reduce the 'strength' of those all important CV's or steering arms anywhere near as much, & neither do you mess up any of the very carefully designed (at great expense to the manufacturer... often millions of dollars worth of design, engineering, & testing work) suspension or steering geometry that lets the car ride & handle as safely as it does! :thumb:

Have fun!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Been here a while

Re: Will an IFS spring lift, lift the chassis???

Unread post by 953 » December 16th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Many thanks Peter, Ive already got 32's which is the largest legal size for my vehicle (bt50) but, for me, I don't really think such a small lift is worth it at this stage, I just don't see the value. It has a factory rear diff lock & bash plates so picking good lines with the odd bit of scraping will have to do. Don't go out deliberately looking for the hard tracks anymore so again, Im legally set up to about my max without the lift.
Maybe when the sups sags too much the 30-35mm lift could be the go, (maybe). Or, just return it to its original ride height with better quality components.
Cheers Dean.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres and Suspension”