Are bigger rims better rims ?

Danieltipping
I'm new, be nice!

Are bigger rims better rims ?

Unread post by Danieltipping » August 16th, 2014, 1:15 pm

I recently bought a 06 hilux, i want to put a set of sun raisers and a decent sized tyre. I don't have the money for a lift and it doesn't have flairs. I went to a tyre place and they said i should get 17x7 inch rims, with a 29 inch tyre.
Iv also been told to get 15x7s with the same 29 inch tyre
I'm happy with the 29 inch tyre but wouldn't that be bad off road? would i be able to fit 31" or something?
and the bloke said that all the bigger the rim and the smaller the tyre is better for four wheel driving, but i haven't seen many peoples four wheel drives with there tyres looking like low profile commodores tyres.
And is $140 per rim a good price for black sunnies
d.tipping

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Are bigger rims better rims ?

Unread post by hoyks » August 16th, 2014, 4:51 pm

The reason most vehicles went from 15 to 16 and 17" rims is so they fit over the front brake calipers as brake size increased. On a 4x4 the improvement in handling on road due to a lower profile tyre would be a secondary consideration.

Off road or on corrugations and obstacles, then a tyre with more side wall would be preferred due to the the fact that you can let a bit of air out and the side wall can flex to swallow up some of the bumps. Look at comp trucks, aren't too many of them with 20 inch rims even with 40" tyres on.

For what you are looking at putting them on, I'd go with some 30x9.5 R15's. With my old wagon this was the easiest tyre size to find tyres in and therefore they were also around the cheapest.

$140 a rim, I think you could do a lot better than that. On Ebay they are about 1/2 that price, less if you are happy with 2nd hand. It's a shame you missed the Maitland 4x4 show as they used to have good specials there.
Last edited by hoyks on August 16th, 2014, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 16th, 2014, 4:53 pm

As hoyks says^^ the smaller the rim & the larger the tyre profile the greater 'cushioning' you get from the air in the tyre, so the better the ride over the rough stuff (if your tyre pressures are low enough) & the greater scope you have for lowering tyre pressures from your on road pressures and gaining greater traction &/or flotation as the pressures go down.... Low profile tyres are great for on road driving, where the lesser sidewall flex that they provide means you get more direct handling and a firmer ride with less tyre squirm etc so it steers more like a rocket sled on rails, with the only roll you get coming from the suspension instead of the tyres folding under the rims at speed!

Sooo, if you want the greatest potential off road ability in your 4WD, generally going for smaller dia rims will allow you to fit taller sidewall/higher profile tyres that will give you more room to drop pressures before you are riding on the rims instead of the tyres.... altho that does come at a cost in terms of less direct on road handling & steering, altho not usually in terms of ride! ;) But you do hafta make sure that the smaller rims fit over the brake calipers etc, & that they don't rub on any components under there!

What size (well, dia especially) are the std tyres?? Any increase in rolling dia is generally an improvement in ground clearance, especially under the diffs, but it can impact badly on your CoG & have an adverse effect on your low range gearing.... and fixing your gearing to compensate can have an adverse effect on your top speed/cruising fuel economy!!

So it's all a game of compromise.... a little bit of ground clearance improvement by fitting slightly taller (ie higher profile) tyres on the std size rims can be handy, but go too far & you'll start paying the penalty!

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

76 Cruiser
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 76 Cruiser » August 20th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I just paid $115 for black 16x8" mine spec sunraysia's from a tyre shop.

Earlyninja
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Earlyninja » April 5th, 2015, 11:11 pm

What everyone above said is true. My 285/55r20 Cooper AT3's ride a little firm but can take a corner at high speed to the point where I can feel the tyres starting to slip sideways. My other set of wheels are 265/75r16 Hercules traildigger MT's abd feel like pillows in comparison, but they're such a smoother ride.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 5th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Good feedback. You guys are pro! However, a bit of important safety detail missing in this instance, and having owned one of these vehicles for some time, I know a lot more now.

But why the old thread revive?

overit
Been here a while

Unread post by overit » August 6th, 2015, 8:54 pm

From my experience: I just paid $125 a rim for 15x10" -44mm offset Dynamic 8 hole rims (I could have got -76mm for another $50 per rim but I will basically get that anyway as I am beadlocking these rims). Depending on the vehicle you have depends on what works best for the type of driving you do. If your driving mainly on road (say a daily for work and then weekend warrior) 31x10.5r15's on 15x7" or max 15x8" in a max -44mm offset rim is perfect for all round driving, ok for road use, ok for off road use (but this also depends on the tyre and tread pattern you get, it's always about compromise if you only have one set of rims and tyres. On my 92 IFS 4Runner I replaced the stock 16" rims with pencil tyres with 31x10.5r15's cooper ST's (I am not affiliated with any tyre or rim manufacturers at all) on 15x8" -44mm offset rims and these were a perfect combination for daily driving (was an apprentice carpenter at the time) and weekend mild tracks going camping. The 31" OD tyre gives you better clearance under the vehicle than the stock 29" (1" overall lift to be exact without other mods), decent fuel economy and road handling capabilities in the wet and dry. The higher -44mm offset rims also give you a wider track so it's more stable at higher speeds on the highway and whilst driving hairy tracks (the ifs is what lets them down all over though). On the 4Runner I ended up going to 33x12.5r15's Goodyear MTR's (the old tread pattern) on the same style 15x8" -44 rims but a second set so I used the 31's for daily use and the 33's for the weekends. On road the 33's were a little slower with take off speed but one up to speed it would hold fine due to being a diesel 2.8lt apart from large steep hills where semis would overtake me on the highway lol! This was only when I was fully loaded with all my work tools but the NA diesel chugged along and just went, when empty it went like a lot better with the 33's on (those engines really need a turbo though!). Using low profile tyres on 4wds is just asking for trouble as all the work is going through the suspension and any pothole impacts are going straight to the rim and not being soaked up by the tyre. I don't understand why they bring out 4wds with low profile tyres (they should be illegal as this means they are never used for what the vehicle is designed for! Soccer mums beg to differ though and ruin it for people that use their 4wds for 4wding... :mad: )

Off road, the stock 29's were bumpy as f)$& even when lowered to 16-18psi. The 31's were much better, but the 33's (on the 4Runner) made it like I was floating on balloons when using off road pressures being 12-18psi depending on the tracks. Having the extra sidewall height makes a huge difference when off-road and soaks up the bumps (like others have said) and it was not too bad when they are back up to 32-35psi back on the road too as they float better with our lovely patchwork quilt number 1 highway (more pot holes in the sealed highway than the crebb track!). It's all how much you use it on and off road and finding a compromise between the two if you only want 1 set of tyres. (Aside: the 35's on the troll let down to 16psi on the beach and I don't need to put it in 4wd, only need high 4 to get on and off the beach to protect the tracks. The flat ballooned footprint makes a huge difference!)

Another important thing to note when installing larger tyres is the brakes which many people forget to do when installing bigger tyres. Going from 29's to 31's there is no real concern to braking capability between the two, well not that I noticed, but going from 29's to 33's or larger, you want to ensure you have decent pads at the very least to make it pull up quicker. Eg. In my GQ ute with 35x12.5r15's I have upgraded the brakes completely all round with slotted rotors, Bendix pads (softer compound) and DOT approved braided brake lines and I can lock up all four tyres traveling 110kph on the freeway if needed, not that I need to do that as I allow a safe distance from other vehicles, but it was just to test how much they have improved from the mods. It brakes better than new and peddle feel is brilliant. I feel safe and most importantly I feel safe for other motorists on the road from having done these mods to the brakes with the bigger tyres.

What I am getting at is that having larger sidewall tyres are much better for off-road as they balloon/flatten out more and offer better protection against bending rims from pot holes etc as long as your tyre pressures suit the road you are driving. When/if you do go bigger tyres, always test the braking capabilities at night when it's safe in a "remote" area to see how much more distance you have to allow for it to pull up. New brake pads can make a huge difference for basically no money at all, simple to change over and worth every cent. All things to think about.

But if you are looking at getting new rims and tyres which are better all over than the stock 16's and 29's, my opinion for the best compromise is 31x10.5r15's on 15x8" rims (offset is up to you, -44mm stick out more than -22mm or 0mm etc but offer more stability on and off the road and don't scrub the inner guards when flexed up off-road.) I know this is an oldish thread and the op would have new tyres by now but more info for future reference for others.

Happy wheeling

1640hunter
Here and there

Unread post by 1640hunter » August 6th, 2016, 9:03 pm

Danieltipping, Your tyre guy has got it back to front on rim/tyre size... Also low profile = punctures. And they look wrong :irked:

Also bear in mind basically all aftermarket wheels aren't up to genuine toyota in the quality department. The best wheels are without a doubt genuine... Having said that - do you have split rims? If so and you want to move them on I know someone that's looking for a set.

But I'd stick with 16" still. A set off an 80 series GXL would be perfect, although you'd want to double check offset.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres and Suspension”