Spring ratings - what are std springs rated at?

Been here a while

Spring ratings - what are std springs rated at?

Unread post by 953 » June 8th, 2016, 9:17 pm

If you buy a sus kit the springs are usually rated to match your requirements, i.e., 300kg constant etc.
What are the standard springs rated at ?
Cheers Dean.

Been here a while

Re: Spring ratings

Unread post by 953 » June 9th, 2016, 6:40 pm

I should clarify, by standard i mean oem springs.
Cheers Dean.

Been here a while

Re: Spring ratings - what are std springs rated at?

Unread post by 953 » June 21st, 2016, 5:31 pm

Anyone ???
Cheers Dean.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 21st, 2016, 6:05 pm

If that sort of info is not listed in any of the manufacturers detailed specifications (& in my experience, it rarely is!) then your best bet is probably to get the std springs tested by an industrial spring maker. If you are in SA, then Adelaide Industrial Springs on Port Rd can generally do that sort of testing in a couple of hours or so and they can also work out what spring rating & type you really need to do whatever the job you want done; then make you the spring/s that will do that job best.... I often get drive in/drive out service there, going in with whatever under the vehicle & a couple of hours later driving out with new springs (leaves, torsion bars, or coils) spec'd to my particular needs & all at a better price than most of the after mkt springs available out there too! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » June 23rd, 2016, 6:06 pm

thanks Peter, have contacted my "local" spring guy at Moorabbin springs who sounded enthusiastic & helpful.
Wonder if anyone else on here has had any dealings with them ?
Im asking the impossible but they reckon they might be able to come up with a reasonable compromise.
Im looking for more clearance, more flex, a reasonable ride, reasonable weight carrying capacity, not too much cv angle & no or very little vibes through the driveline.
Thats gotta be easy, doesn't it ???
Possibly taller, softer springs with back up air bags in the rear.
Yer, Yer, I know the cons with the airbags but, when I need to carry a load, if I load sensibly & am aware of what causes the probs, & drive accordingly, perhaps it might be the compromise Im looking for ???
Will go into Moorabbin springs & have a further yak.
Cheers Dean.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 23rd, 2016, 7:14 pm

The issue with air bags is not 'having & using them' per se, it's more 'using them to provide lift', effectively by running higher pressures than are strictly necessary for the load on them right now all the time!!! Many people run them successfully for many years by ensuring they reduce them to their minimum pressure when the vehicle isn't loaded up; and only increasing the pressure when they need to load the vehicle & even then, never using them to actually increase the static ride height above normal once loaded....

It's the pumping them up above their minimum pressure when the vehicle is empty or only lightly loaded(often to the extent the ride height is increased above normal) & liking the feel/look of the vehicle like that so then running them pumped up ALL the time that generally does the damage that these things can do (altho running the vehicle at or above max load for long periods with max pressure in the bags doesn't help either) - they can help your vehicle maintain a reasonable 'loaded' ride height by restricting the springs from doing their designed job, ie transferring the load carrying & springing task from the springs & spring mounting points into the air bag mounting points on the chassis.... do that for maybe 2weeks a year (for your hols) & you'll probably get away with it, but do it for 52 weeks a year & the chassis is being asked to do something it was never designed for, so it breaks!!

So if you take care, they should work. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”