Deisel Contamination = no warranty!

bedehunt
I'm new, be nice!

Deisel Contamination = no warranty!

Unread post by bedehunt » March 2nd, 2016, 8:39 pm

Went bush on the weekend, filled the ranger up at Samford garage then drove approx 320km, then the ute sat all weekend until sunday morning, we drove 10km out of the property then this mad ticking noise coming from motor then it all shut down, $900 tow truck back to brissie for Ford to say no warranty due to diesel contamination and its going to cost $10300 to fix, whats everyones thoughts on this, I spoke to the servo were I filled up he said they go thru that much diesel in a day there why would I be the only one with bad diesel and why would I be able to drive 300plus kms on bad diesel before stopping.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Deisel Contamination no warranty

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » March 2nd, 2016, 9:40 pm

How do you know that the problem is diesel contamination?

If you want any sort of compensation, get a copy of the receipt and a sample of the fuel. 1 sample from your fuel tank and another from their pumps.

I think there is alot blamed on bad diesel in Aus that isnt actually the problem
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Re: Deisel Contamination = no warranty!

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » March 2nd, 2016, 10:15 pm

Most car insurance companies cover contaminated fuel but not putting the wrong fuel in.

Speak to your insurance company.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » March 3rd, 2016, 8:48 am

Did you fill up with the wrong fuel? Or was the fuel contaminated? Contaminated with what?

CrankHead
Here and there

Unread post by CrankHead » March 3rd, 2016, 1:20 pm

wrong fuel would not take you very far.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » March 3rd, 2016, 1:52 pm

CrankHead

Depends what ratio of petrol with diesel. You would be surprised how far you could get before the engine implodes with a low level of contamination. Know of one owner who did almost 400kms when he filled about a third of his tank with unleaded. Repair cost of almost $12K

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 3rd, 2016, 3:40 pm

bedehunt

Although it is a good idea to check the fuel in the tank, I would be suspicious of the filter action and if it has ACTUALLY been changed when it should have been done. If anything is wrong with filtering the engine will fail.

Apart from sus fuel, which you would probably detect isn't working/running properly, ie poor running/power/noise, it is the lack of service and contaminants which will get to the vitals of the high pressure pump and damage is very likely/inevitable.

The dealer will then always immediately blame fuel quality.
Fuel quality in Australia is quite good, if it wasn't the roads would be littered with stopped vehicles more frequent than road kill.
It isn't, so most times you look for other reasons. SERVICING is the next BIG item to go under the spotlight.

If Fraud already have your filter or inspected it and you were not there to see it, they can continue to blame fuel and you have no way of proving anything. A reputable/honest dealer would not do that to you, however reputable folk in the motor trade are rare, very rare indeed, particularly when it comes to warranty claims of large $$$$ amounts.

Most owners are at their mercy.

bedehunt
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bedehunt » March 4th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Thanks guys, yeah ford is saying the diesel has water contamination from the servo but it looks like my insurance is going to pay out on it fingers crossed, so far my ranger has done a clutch, my gear stick came out, replaced intercooler, front tailshaft,now the engine, I think it might be time to sell it for such a nice and comfortable ute its a shame but I think its just going to cost me more money.
is mine the only lemon out there or what.

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”