do i need to upgrade suspension after adding canopy + drawer

Dubguy
Here and there

Is suspension upgrade needed with adding a canopy and drawer

Unread post by Dubguy » December 8th, 2015, 11:02 am

Hi im adding an alpha canopy and titan drawers onto my standard 2013 bt50 dual cab ute. I will also have an ISI bike rack with 2 bikes on it. Is the suspension going to be ok with the extra weight? I will be doing an upgrade, but not until 2017.

Dubguy
Here and there

do i need to upgrade suspension after adding canopy + drawer

Unread post by Dubguy » December 8th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Hi im adding an alpha canopy and titan drawers onto my standard 2013 bt50 dual cab ute. I will also have an ISI bike rack with 2 bikes on it. Is the suspension going to be ok with the extra weight? I will be doing an upgrade, but not until 2017.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: do i need to upgrade suspension after adding canopy + dr

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 8th, 2015, 12:28 pm

You will not need replacement suspension just becasue you have added a canopy and some draws.

But when you do decide to upgrade your suspension then make sure you take the weight into consideration.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 8th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Just see how it goes mate. The factory springs will sag a little, but you should be ok for a while

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Dubguy
Here and there

Unread post by Dubguy » December 8th, 2015, 2:00 pm

cheers guys, i asked the guy in the 4wd shop and he said it would definetly be a good idea, seemed scared that i wasnt going to do it, but i guess thats scare tactics to get another $2000 out of me!
im not sure how much the canopy weighs, maybe 100 kgs, but he said the drawers would be around 80-90 kg, 2 bikes maybe 30 kg and 32 kg for the bike rack. obviously we will have camping equipment, tent, clothes etc in the tub and drawers. just dont want to ruin the ute before i get to modify the suspension etc!!

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 8th, 2015, 2:32 pm

There would be BT50s driving around all day everyday with >500kgs in the back without a negitivie outcomes.

Sometimes the 4wd industry drives me crazy, all you hear is that you need to spend, spend and spend some more to have a basic 4wd.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Is suspension upgrade needed with adding a canopy and dr

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » December 8th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Personally don't think you'd NEED it, depends a lot on how much and what gear's in the drawers too.
Drawers can increase your load a fair bit more, especially if you go double layer, increasing the floor space to effectively 3 levels (drawer 1 and 2, plus the top still).

Suppose suck it and see, if it's needed then I guess you need it.

Dubguy
Here and there

Re: Is suspension upgrade needed with adding a canopy and dr

Unread post by Dubguy » December 8th, 2015, 6:11 pm

cheers Les, i asked the guy in the 4wd shop and he said it would definetly be a good idea, seemed scared that i wasnt going to do it, but i guess thats scare tactics to get another $2000 out of me!
im not sure how much the canopy weighs, maybe 100 kgs, but he said the drawers would be around 80-90 kg, they are just dual titan drawers with a fridge slide. 2 bikes maybe 30 kg and 32 kg for the bike rack. obviously we will have camping equipment, tent, clothes etc in the tub and drawers. just dont want to ruin the ute before i get to modify the suspension etc!!

Dubguy
Here and there

Unread post by Dubguy » December 10th, 2015, 5:55 pm

i did google the payload for the bt50 mines a 2013, but i could only find a 2015 and it say 1411 kg, but im sure thats not all in the tub!
so no one reckons il have issues?
how much is the fuel economy going to be affected with daily driving with a canopy and empty drawers in the tub, about an extra 200 kg in the tub area.

mnpalmer
Been here a while

Unread post by mnpalmer » December 11th, 2015, 8:12 am

I've got a 2013 BT50 with an EGR canopy and Black Widow drawers in it (and a 2nd battery behind the left rear wheel). I didn't like the way the car handled for the couple of weeks I had it empty but once I fitted the canopy and drawers it was a lot smoother. Remember leaf springs are stiff and need some weight on them to handle better.

Just on two years now with this setup and I also put a Swagman 4 bike, bike rack on with 4 mountain bikes and still don't have a problem. A friend as the new ARB suspension which has certainly made the ride of his BT50 a lot nicer. Worth it? Not yet, I'll wait until mine needs replacing or I have a spare $2500 or more... :)

Actually, I forgot I have a Brown Davis 145lt fuel tank in too and it's still fine. Fuel consumption went up to 9.1lt per 100km when I fitted the fuel tank but sat on 8.9-9lt per 100km before the tank went in. The canopy will make your fuel consumption slightly better, or not change it at all.

Great car, no plans on replacing mine anytime soon, just drive it and enjoy it. :)

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » December 16th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Mate I have a canopy on my BT50 and just put some Titan drawers in. I have found that it rides better on the highway with a little added weight. Before the drawers it wandered a bit on the highway when I hit some bumps. Settled down now. Don't rush into upgraded suspension until you can afford it mate. Tradies carry cement etc on standard suspension. 4WD shops now are just trying to fleece money out of you. If it looks like it is sagging in the arse end then upgrade. You will know if you need it by the way it rides. Don't spend money on your 4wd just for the sake of it. They are capable standard.

Dubguy
Here and there

Unread post by Dubguy » December 20th, 2015, 3:21 am

terrano2buck how do you find the titan drawers? im thinking of getting them. did you make your own wings for over the wheel arches or just leave it? which canopy did you go for?

RicBro
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by RicBro » December 24th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Hey mate,

Was thinking the same thing after canopy, roof rack etc on the PX and noticed the springs sagging. Can't afford the suspension upgrade just yet so spent $100 on Ironman spring helpers as a temporary fix...I don't think it's a permanent fix but certainly reduced the roll and sag...

Cheers

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » February 6th, 2016, 12:12 am

Hey Dubguy,

Titan drawres are very good mate. $750. I got my mechanic to bolt them in as I don't trust myself with a drill. They don't come with wings and I don't care. I find it handy not having wings. My 2 camping tables fit beautifully between the wheel arch and the drawers. I guess they could be a little bit deeper but then your fridge starts getting too high. My canopy is an EGR. Very good. I got pop up on the passenger side and slide on the drivers side.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » February 6th, 2016, 12:22 am

If you do want to load it up for a trip and not upgrade the suspension yet you could just put air adjustable shockies in the rear for those odd times when your loading it up a bit, until you can afford to go for better springs etc.

Just a suggestion.

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”