No traction control in low range.

Been here a while

No traction control in low range.

Unread post by 953 » November 20th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Why can't I use traction control in low range ?
When I go from H4 to L4 it turns off.
I suppose if the going gets difficult, L4 was designed to work in conjunction with the rear diff lock ?
Cheers Dean.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Re: No traction control in low range.

Unread post by GBC » November 21st, 2015, 6:43 am

You need to read your manual. It is stability control that's automatically switched off, not traction control. You need to press and hold the traction control button to disable it - something you'll need to work out very quickly if driving in soft sand.

http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/ranger-2 ... g-analysis

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » November 21st, 2015, 3:25 pm

I read the manual.
Page 98, Using dynamic stability control.
It states " Transfer switch in 4H or 4Lposition:
Press & hold the switch for 5 seconds to deactivate Engine traction control, trailer sway assist and Brake traction control.
Hill decent control & Hill launch assist remain active.
I didn't do this because I wanted Traction control but,............. no Traction control.
Cheers Dean.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » November 21st, 2015, 7:55 pm

You are agreeing with me now.....
It's a bit confusing but required reading to get the most out of it.

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » November 22nd, 2015, 7:59 am

Yes, I agree its confusing.
DSC is made up of a multitude of systems that include 2 different types of traction control, (engine & brake).
Pressing the DSC button for different lengths of time, deletes certain aspects of DSC.
Pressing the DSC button in different modes, (e.g. 2h,4h,4l ) also varies the result.

Basically, Im trying to work out if I can use 4l with braked traction control ?

There is also debate re TC & sand driving.
Braked TC only brakes a spinning wheel that has no traction anyway, therefor not affecting forward momentum.

With DSC being comprehensive, I wish more was stated in the manual as to in which situations it is preferable to use which mode.
Cheers Dean.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » November 22nd, 2015, 3:27 pm

In low range without pressing any buttons you will have braked t.c. Until you hit the diff lock button whereby it is disabled. My px xl doesn't have a rear locker so it gets driven around like that a bit.

There is no debate to be had with regards T.c. In soft sand. The abs noise is horrendous and constant due to the sensors being confused as to what you want. Turned off, it is a normal 4wd in sand.
The new Everest has various terrain settings on a dial to take this a step further, but you'll have to do it manually. Every time you turn the car off it reverts back, so you have to press and hold every time. You get used to it after a few weeks as soon as you hear the abs kick. The reason why there is no debate is that the electronic T.C./DSC Immediately also robs you of engine power when the abs brakes a wheel and you lose momentum straight away. Sod's rule is of course this will happen towing a trailer through a cutting going around a corner and meeting up with a tour bus. It will all become quickly apparent when you drive in soft sand.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » November 22nd, 2015, 6:10 pm

GBC wrote:There is no debate to be had with regards T.c. In soft sand. The abs noise is horrendous and constant due to the sensors being confused as to what you want. Turned off, it is a normal 4wd in sand.

The reason why there is no debate is that the electronic T.C./DSC Immediately also robs you of engine power when the abs brakes a wheel and you lose momentum straight away.
Maybe you need a better car with a more sophisticated TC setup. DSC will cut power but TC should not do that - TC does not cut power in the better systems. Likewise on better systems there is virtually no noise and no vibration from the ABS module.

Hobbit

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » November 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm

I am not seeing the relevance. The manual says turn it off. I am explaining what happens outside of the standard operating parameters of the car. For a ute it's pretty much as advanced as it gets at the moment. I'm not complaining about it one bit, just helping a newer owner work out this system.

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » November 23rd, 2015, 6:11 pm

thanks Guys, your input is really appreciated.
Looks like some more trial & error for me, that can only be fun ? :lol:

When I turn the dial & put it in 4L, the DSC off light, lights
up on the dash.
If I hold in the DSC button for 5 secs, the manual tells me everything except Hill Decent control & Hill launch assist are cancelled.
Im still confused but, Im sure I'll work it out over a period of time.

thanks again.
Cheers Dean.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » November 24th, 2015, 7:32 am

Yep, spot on. Maybe they need more than a single light. Enjoy playing.

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » May 21st, 2016, 5:27 pm

Ok, so after a little more mucking about, for me, it 4h and tc for easy/medium 4wdriving & 4l & diff lock if it gets harder.
Cheers Dean.

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”