What Roof Racks do you recommend? Rail or clip on?

Dox
I'm new, be nice!

What Roof Racks do you recommend? Rail or clip on?

Unread post by Dox » March 28th, 2015, 10:31 am

hey guys,
ive been into a couple of roof rack stores but everyone was either unhelpful or had no idea to any of my questions so I was just wondering what type of roof racks people recommend?
ive seen the track mounts but not sure about drilling into the roof and sealing, but in saying that im not sure id trust the door clip ones.
What's been your experience with one or the other or both?
it obviously has to be suitable for 4wding, from wa so plenty of corrugations. It will have an awning installed, some camp lights, swag etc...
any advice welcomed :)
cheers

GBC
Part of the furniture

Re: What Roof Racks do you recommend? Rail or clip on?

Unread post by GBC » March 30th, 2015, 11:55 am

Track mounts will hold up better.
Clip mounts will get dust and grit under the feet and scratch the crap out of your roof as they vibrate on the corrugations. I've had both. The clip ones are quieter and easier to get on and off and are cheaper, but the h.d. track mounts do the business better.

Dox
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dox » April 2nd, 2015, 2:13 pm

cool thanks mate

Super-Ranger-man
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Super-Ranger-man » April 4th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Dox

also on some of the other forums other than this one such as newranger.net there have been cases of those door ones actually coming off with high wind resistance of a load ie surf boards.. tearing the last rack right off creating an expensive panel repair to the top of the door.. there are pictures on the other forums... warranty is a problem with the company saying it was tied down with occy straps .. totally bogus imo .. but the case stands have to agree with GBC on the track mounts .. they're standard on the Wildtrack models for good reason!

mnpalmer
Been here a while

Unread post by mnpalmer » April 13th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I fitted the track mount rhino rack ones. It was a time consuming job and 5mm pop rivets were really hard to install with a normal pop rivet gun. I used the sealant they recommended and a drill stop when drilling the holes - really didn't have any problems and am glad I did it now. The roof racks are really solid and easy to take off with minimal chance of scratching the car. I just wish the front was quieter (aero model purchased).

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”