Anyone centred their Reverse Camera?

AndyBT
I'm new, be nice!

Anyone centred their Reverse Camera?

Unread post by AndyBT » February 18th, 2014, 8:05 pm

I'm finding my reverse camera annoyingly offset.

Just before I start, I was wondering if it's any better centred?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone centred their Reverse Camera?

Unread post by mydmax » February 18th, 2014, 8:52 pm

All personal preference, but I prefer the camera to be on the RHS so the edge of the vision is the same line as the RHS mirror sees down the vehicle.
That means the camera is pointed to the left and looks sideways across the tow ball so you CAN see how the trailer and ball are positioned for hitch up AND the looking left aspect allows you to see around the corner you are backing out of ie driveway or building, and you can therefore see the approaching traffic before any of the vehicle is placed in danger of being hit.

I fitted a system exactly that way on a LARGE VW long wheelbase van and it is used in Melbourne narrow streets and the owner CAN see the dangers before he backs out too far.

May not suit you but it is the way mine is going to be fitted. What is the use of having it centre anyway?

The one on the Ford Territory ads can see children but absolutely useless to see up the street from a narrow driveway or that kid coming down the footpath on his bike at warp speed.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » February 18th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Hi AndyBT
I have a spare wheel carrier on the left so placing the camera centre wasn't going to work for me as I'm using the camera for lining up my camper . The camera had to be mounted low enough to have the tow tongue in view which was a determining factor for the mount position . The best I could do was to install a camera with the highest angle degree , it has 170'. Getting use to using the camera placed offset, my only trouble is when sun hits the lens but have a better camera ready to go in to see if it makes a difference.
Cheers TLC60S

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » February 18th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Ive got 2 cameras to the one screen

one is 50mm higher than the towbar and exactly in the centre of the vehicle - makes any reversing and hooking up a trailer or the camper a snap

The other is up high on the Canopy on the drivers side and is used to look out over the camper and to see the general area in traffic .

Of the two I reckon the centred one is the more useful
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

mnpalmer
Been here a while

Unread post by mnpalmer » February 19th, 2014, 10:00 am

I pop-riveted mine to the number plate, in the centre. Works well there.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » February 19th, 2014, 4:02 pm

I screwed mine in over the number plate for perfect centre too. I am the worlds best trailer hooker upperer now :p
The other good thing with centre is lining up on car park lines for reverse parking.

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » February 19th, 2014, 6:10 pm

I'm another who has it centered, mine is just above the number plate. As other have said, it makes hooking up the camper trailer really easy, plus I get good all round vision behind the vehicle.
On the camper trailer I have the camera mounted high up on the roof rack, but again it is centered. This one is on full time when driving with the camper hooked up.

AndyBT
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by AndyBT » February 20th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Thanks Gents, will add it to my to-do list next week with the EGR plate.

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”