How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

80mojo
Been here a while

Re: How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

Unread post by 80mojo » December 10th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Yes Barker, I have read the manual (I had not had HDC in a fourby before this, so reading the manual was a gimme), but real world testing has showed me there is more than one way to skin a cat. As I stated earlier, using neutral during hilly descents removes the forces on the driveline which promotes longevity of the driveline. As for "dangerous" or "silly" , that's more to do with driver confidence then the braking ability of the car.
Using your handbrake to create rear traction in an open or LS diffed vehicle isn't written in owners manuals either, but it works! I appreciate yours and others input Barker, but unless you've tried it ,appreciate mine,
mojo

fishwenican
Avid Poster

Unread post by fishwenican » December 10th, 2012, 6:25 pm

@ barker.
Your comment on steep decent in HDC only is 100% correct.
Attempting a move like that is plain stupid and contradicts all safe 4wd driving rules.
But each to their own I suppose

4wheeler
Here and there

Unread post by 4wheeler » December 10th, 2012, 7:28 pm

I am a little concerned that people new to four wheel driving or with little experience reading this topic might get the wrong idea about descending steep hills as a couple of references have been made to descending steep hills with HDC and neutral on the auto box. While it is probably possible, I would not wan't to try this on long steep tracks in the Victorian high country. This is not having a go at any individual but an expression of concern about the ramifications if something goes wrong.
Driving a four wheel drive is a great fun but is also a responsibility and we as the drivers are responsible for others as well as ourselves. The lowest gear should always be selected for the safest controlled descent of steep hills. Sure it is slow but it is safe. Adequate gaps should be left between each vehicle on the descent. If people are unsure, do a course or join a four wheel drive club. Either way it is money well spent considering you have probably just spent $50,000 on a Ford or Mazda.

Having an automatic vehicle (or any vehicle) in neutral and relying on HDC while descending any hill is potentially asking for trouble in my opinion and contradicts every four wheel drive training manaul and driving technique. HDC is an assistant and should be viewed this way. I feel that a vehicle in neutral descending a hill is not in full control whether HDC is working or not. The steep hills in the Victorian High Country have claimed a number of lives through driver error or mechanical failure. Steep hills are no place to experiment! This is my opinion only, others may have different ideas but this is an area where there should be no confusion as the consequences of making a mistake could be drastic.

I have yet to experience HDC on long hills but for me it will be low first gear (manual box) with the possible use of HDC depending upon speed in the dry and in the wet, low first with HDC on or off depending upon how it reacts to the slippery suface. Only time and use will let me know which is the best combination. :)

After 1500km's my manual gearbox is starting to get a better more direct feel to the gear change and will sit in 6th gear all day on the highway.

eveyoz
Here and there

Unread post by eveyoz » December 16th, 2012, 11:57 pm

I have just had my 15k service, the car feels 100% better. I wonder if they did something with the software as its sooo much smoother during gear changes. The kids heads arent nodding half as much as I change gears and no its not my driving improving! :)

killerpeanut
Getting to know the place

Unread post by killerpeanut » December 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

i just got my bt-50 dual cab xt in manual on Friday, and im loving the manual box!!! :D

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

Unread post by cruza driver » December 17th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Thanks for that, I'm still waiting for mine its been put back a week so hopefully no more delays :rolleyes:
BT50 GT
[b][i]BITUMEN IS OVER RATED[/i][/b]

rocksteadybt50

Unread post by rocksteadybt50 » September 29th, 2013, 5:24 pm

my manual gearbox seized up at 4500 klms from new couldnt select gears. second one has done 5500 klms now it does feel better than the first but still notchy and stiff selecting gears especially from first to third ,fourth to six is fine, getting used to gearbox now with the turbo lag /throttle lag problem.

2008_bt50
Here and there

Unread post by 2008_bt50 » November 5th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Hi all

Got a 2013 BT50 single cab 4*4

My major gripe is the gearing. It seems pretty high. Especailly if 6th is meant to be overdrive. surely in 5th gear i should be able to keep 110kph but it just seems to struggle. So i'm using 6th gear more than i thought i would. I thought the 5th to 6th gear change would occur around 110-120kph . Maybe i'm just being paranoid coming from the older 5 speed box. But from previous comments perhaps there is a bit more than me just completely not knowing what i'm talking about. IS it just meant to be geared that way?

someone please enlighten me. As you can see i'm not the most mechanically minded so go easy on me

cheers :)
NEW 2013 Mazda BT 50 4*4 Single cab chassis
6 speed manual, weathershields, bonnet protector, snorkel

------------------------------------------------------------

mazda 2008 BT 50 4x2
mods: Elite auto flash tune, Extreme custom engineering 3inc

Ultrabat
Here and there

Unread post by Ultrabat » November 5th, 2013, 10:49 pm

2008_bt50 wrote:Hi all

Got a 2013 BT50 single cab 4*4

My major gripe is the gearing. It seems pretty high. Especailly if 6th is meant to be overdrive. surely in 5th gear i should be able to keep 110kph but it just seems to struggle. So i'm using 6th gear more than i thought i would. I thought the 5th to 6th gear change would occur around 110-120kph . Maybe i'm just being paranoid coming from the older 5 speed box. But from previous comments perhaps there is a bit more than me just completely not knowing what i'm talking about. IS it just meant to be geared that way?

someone please enlighten me. As you can see i'm not the most mechanically minded so go easy on me

cheers :)
I've had mine for 3 weeks now and still not used to the 6th gear. I forget it is there sometimes and wonder why she is reving a little high lol
Agree that you need to use 6th a lot more then normal... well for my liking. But I find that 5th in mine does pull pretty well.

2008_bt50
Here and there

Unread post by 2008_bt50 » November 5th, 2013, 11:03 pm

5th pulls well for me too, its just that i think its still a bit geared high. should be able to cruise in 5th @ 120 just under 2000rpm. I actually get the shift light after 80kph in 5th gear. anyone else? perhaps i'm a bit unrealistic :(
NEW 2013 Mazda BT 50 4*4 Single cab chassis
6 speed manual, weathershields, bonnet protector, snorkel

------------------------------------------------------------

mazda 2008 BT 50 4x2
mods: Elite auto flash tune, Extreme custom engineering 3inc

tezza351
Here and there

Unread post by tezza351 » November 6th, 2013, 2:09 pm

pretty sure that 5th gear is 1 to 1 so 6th is like 5th in the last model ranger 1st is alot lower than the last model this is why it is a six speed box :rolleyes:
HORSHAM 4X4 ACCESSORIES.

ricktor67
Here and there

Unread post by ricktor67 » November 6th, 2013, 2:18 pm

I reckon that would be geared a bit low. If 5th ran just under 2000 rpm at 120km/h then you really wouldn't need 6th at all as then 6th would be doing about 1300 at 110.

I think it is ok how it is. I leave it in 6th at anything above about 80 and it is fine for almost all overtaking, towing, hills etc. The nice broad torque curve means you rarely need to change back down to 5th.

Having said that, I wouldn't actually mind if 6th was a little bit taller. Mine does about 2100 in 6th at 110. Would probably be better at about 1900 at 110 in 6th.

Cheers,
Rick

CptnBarney

Unread post by CptnBarney » November 7th, 2013, 8:47 am

I also feel the gearing is pretty good. First is very low, perfect for towing or going down hills in 1st-low ratio. Plenty report that with broken in motors they are taking off in 2nd on the road. 4th gear is actually quite comfortable at 50km/hr ie suburban street speed limit. 5th is direct and a 1:1 ratio, the overdrive 6th sits well on the highway.

I've driven a few Ranger and BT-50 demos, gearbox change quality was quite variable. The vehicles with more kilometres generally had the smoother shifting gearbox, especially on down-shift. Anything with a good 1000+ kilometres was pretty good though.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » November 7th, 2013, 10:41 am

I like my BT50 manual. Good gearing spread, and nice change. It did free up after I topped the oil up, it was 600 ml low from new, and got even better after some fresh oil later on. 250,000 change interval just doesn't gel for me. 33 k kms now.

As for HDC, its an aid, but reactive, and I prefer to be proactive and get the speed sorted before with correct gear selection and brake application in anticipation of the obstacle/descent. I have more control that way.
Subscriptions don't work for me, so I'm unlikely to reply quickly, sorry.
Shed Time is Quality Time
My BT50 - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=141977

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » November 7th, 2013, 10:42 am

Duplicate post deleted
Subscriptions don't work for me, so I'm unlikely to reply quickly, sorry.
Shed Time is Quality Time
My BT50 - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=141977

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”