How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

Re: How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

Unread post by cruza driver » November 19th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks again,

I kept leaning towards a manual, and having always had them it was hard to change. My wife has a T/D auto its nice to drive but when driving it I feel a bit lost :cool:

So today I ordered a manual BT GT :woohoo: , it will be ready in a months time for delivery and I cant wait.

Thanks again for keeping this thread on topic too its much appreciated.

Cheers Cruza
BT50 GT
[b][i]BITUMEN IS OVER RATED[/i][/b]

jackal77
Here and there

Unread post by jackal77 » November 19th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Congrats with your order! Im sure you should be happy with it. very happy with my manual but i sometimes find fourth to be a bit doughy ( could be my driving) but it sounds like the waste gate stays open until i really plant it ( i have a snorkel) and then she goes again. The missus doesnt drive it enough and trys to take of in third ocassionally but like the short throw especially on the beach makes for quick changes when you get used to it.

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » November 19th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Congrats on the purchase, despite my ramblings, and I'm being very picky!! You WILL enjoy the BT, an absolutely brilliant all round package :D

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

Unread post by cruza driver » November 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Wastednights wrote:Congrats on the purchase, despite my ramblings, and I'm being very picky!! You WILL enjoy the BT, an absolutely brilliant all round package :D

Thanks wasted :drink:

I am also picky which is why I started the thread :rolleyes: and thanks for posting up your thoughts mate :thumb:
BT50 GT
[b][i]BITUMEN IS OVER RATED[/i][/b]

killerpeanut
Getting to know the place

Unread post by killerpeanut » November 20th, 2012, 6:57 pm

thanks for confirming my thoughts.

i had one on order already. Comes next Friday. :)

eveyoz
Here and there

Unread post by eveyoz » November 20th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Manual is harder but more rewarding mate. You wont regret it especially when you drop her down to 3rd on the approach to a junction then power out! :)

4wheeler
Here and there

Unread post by 4wheeler » November 20th, 2012, 8:48 pm

I have had my XT for a couple of weeks now. The 6 speed manual is interesting in that it feels very different to the MT82, 6 speed in the Land Rover Defender I had previously and the Ford Transit which I have as a work vehicle. It almost seems a little vague at times but it is not a problem. In all three vehicles 1st is low which leaves you behind at the lights but by the time you spin it up and hit 3rd gear you are back with the pack. It also means a fair bit of cog swapping in the traffic. The BT manual does not worry me as I don't mind the ratios. On the open road, it is like an auto as you don't need to shuffle gears much at all due to the grunt factor.

I know in city trafic the auto would be best but on some of the steep rocky bush tracks in the Victorian high country I like the idea of selecting first low and walking down. Sure, hill descent control is a useful addition but I suspect it might burn the brakes on the auto on long steep runs so on this alone I went for a manual box. I do like the fact that you can just push a button and turn HDC on or off. I am looking forward to tackling some tracks once the vehicle has a few km's on it to wear it in a little. :)

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » November 20th, 2012, 9:02 pm

4wheeler, The HDC is a brilliant addition in my opinion, I have played with it a fair bit recently on or off road, is works well, kinda spooky not using the brake pedal for first coupla times!!!

80mojo
Been here a while

Unread post by 80mojo » November 21st, 2012, 8:45 am

4wheeler
You won't "burn" the brakes because it is an auto. When using the HDC you are in neutral. The beauty of HDC is you can share the driveline load. On one descent use engine braking with auto in first with a feathering of the brakes, next time use HDC.

4wheeler
Here and there

Unread post by 4wheeler » November 21st, 2012, 3:49 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Mojo80,
I probably should have used a term such as "experience reduced brake efficiency" due to the heating effect caused by prolonged application of the braking system on long steep descents. "Burn" was not the best term to use and I obviously did not make my point clear. Having said that I have been on tracks which were long and steep and all the autos (old style auto boxes ) had stinking brakes with heat pouring off them and the vehicles needed to cool the brakes off before they could continue. The manuals were fine. Obviously vehicles vary and so everyone's experience will be different depending upon what they have been exposed to. Luckily things are improving

I chose a manual box for hilly country use as the BT 50 manual has a 52.5 reduction in first low compared to the auto 42.3 in low first. That is a 25% difference in reduction. From my experience turbo diesels don't provide as much engine braking as the old non-turbo engines and you are relying more on gearing ratios and now electronics. On a long descent, if you are using HDC I would have thought that you run the risk of heating up the braking system as it uses the ABS/Traction control systems to keep the vehicle to the set speed (selectable) unless you can give it a rest in between sections. With a manual box, especially in the dry, with the low reduction there is a good chance you won't need to even "feather" the brakes on steep sections let alone select HDC. In low first and at idle speeds there would be little strain on the 4x4 system as the car is designed to handle 450 Nm torque potentially with heavy load.

A friend of mine in the 4X4 club I am with has purchased an auto BT 50 so it will be interesting to see how both the manual and auto go on steep tracks in the future. Obviously on short steep sections it probably won't matter at all if you use HDC either in the auto or manual.

Getting back to the original topic, I like the manual box in the BT 50 for what I wish to do with the vehicle.

westquad
Here and there

Unread post by westquad » November 22nd, 2012, 12:22 am

one good thing with the HDC (which i learnt from that maz vid promo) is the speed can be regulated with the cruise control buttons. Never tried that and i thought a couple of times that the speed was a bit too fast for a decent

TheDamage
Been here a while

Unread post by TheDamage » November 22nd, 2012, 9:03 am

I never knew this, and appreciate finding this out, as the last time I used HDC I went down a hill so fast in low range that I swore never to use again off the tarmac, it was too fast for my liking!
Mazda BT-50 GT with TJM Bullbar / TJM Underbody Protection / Xray HID 220's / Ironman 9000lb rope Winch / 2" EFS Lift / Flexiglass Canopy / 2.75" Beaudesert Exhaust / 130L LongRanger Fuel tank / GME UHF / Projecta 150a Dual Battery / 12" Rear LightBar / KW Systems Chipped

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » November 22nd, 2012, 6:21 pm

westquad, Didn't you read the owners manual??

And it works great on long decents being able to up and down the speed with the cruise control

80mojo
Been here a while

Unread post by 80mojo » December 8th, 2012, 9:10 am

Use the accelerator instead of the cruise. Even though you're in neutral, it works.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » December 9th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Uhhrmm...

From the Owners manual..

"During a hill descent when driving off-road, engine braking is used to control the speed of descent, If engine braking alone is insufficient to control the vehicle's speed, HDC will slow the vehicle using the braking system.

If the vehicle is fitted with an automatic transmission, HDC should only be used in D, R or sport mode 1. When in D the vehicle will select the most appropriate gear"

If you go down a steep descent in neutral using HDC only then sorry, that is dangerous and silly... :crazy:

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”