How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

Unread post by cruza driver » November 17th, 2012, 9:07 pm

I dont want this thread to turn into a manual vs auto bashing thread :) but I was wondering how people with manuals are finding them in there new BT's.

I have test driven the manual and auto and I am leaning towards the manual.

Thanks in advance Cruza
BT50 GT
[b][i]BITUMEN IS OVER RATED[/i][/b]

jasjul
Been here a while

Re: How are you New BT50 drivers finding the manual box?

Unread post by jasjul » November 17th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I'm happy. Started off pretty notchy, but I and my wife both still preferred the manual, I now have just over 9000kms and it's loosened up nicely. :D

madaz2012
Been here a while

Unread post by madaz2012 » November 17th, 2012, 10:04 pm

can be a lil bit awkward when brand new, but after about 5,000km they loosen up ok.... there a pretty typical feeling getrag box. like in commodores a bit vague in the shifts, too me they feel as if your only getting the selector half way through the gate,

but they are pretty easy to handle,

eveyoz
Here and there

Unread post by eveyoz » November 18th, 2012, 7:56 am

I have the ranger, it has loosened up and I actually enjoy driving it and working through the gears. It can be a bit of a pain in stop-start traffic but overall driving the manual is more rewarding for me.

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » November 18th, 2012, 8:05 am

The box is Ok after a few K's, but I'm not overly impressed with the ratios.....

At times first feels too low and other times too high, second is too high to start off in and a considerable jump from first.

The other issue I have is that in 6th gear towing on cruise, the slightest hill see's the speed drop to the point that cruise dissengages...... I have only towed once with it, from Melbourne to Central Queensland, but I figured that was a long enough trip to try it out.

If I bought another one tomorrow, it'd be an auto with out a doubt, even though I've never owned an auto transmission before.

kenny5000
Here and there

Unread post by kenny5000 » November 18th, 2012, 8:48 am

I agree with the above posts.. The box is a little notchy and has unusual feel but loosens up and/or you get used of it after about 5000km. First is too low geared although this is handy offroad. I drive through melb daily and the constant gear changing is a bit of a pain when caught in traffic (with 6 gears) but on the flip side I personally prefer the manual in all other situations. I have a mate with an auto and he loves it so i guess it depends on driving conditions and personal preference.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » November 18th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Wastednights wrote: ...At times first feels too low and other times too high, second is too high to start off in and a considerable jump from first.
I am not sure what anyone can do about 1st gear being sometimes too low and sometimes too high... You should have bought an auto, whack it in 'D' and go from 'A' to 'B'..
Wastednights wrote: ..The other issue I have is that in 6th gear towing on cruise, the slightest hill see's the speed drop to the point that cruise dissengages....
I have towed trailers with bikes and camping gear in the mountains and 1200 Kg Camper Trailers and on the highway between Sydney and Newcastle in sixth I have not had the Cruise Control drop out once.. 470nm is a lot of grunt.. I am guessing you were towing something heavy and big ?

Maybe you should go back to the dealer and get them to check it out...

jimi
Getting to know the place

Unread post by jimi » November 18th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Didn't we settle on not towing in 6th (overdrive) with heavy loads ? That was the discussion earlier this year. Don't remember if we ended up with an official line from Mazda. As for the manual 30 000 ks and still loving it but yeah city traffic gets tiresome.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » November 18th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Not sure if the 'not towing' in 6th was actually settled.. Owners manual doesn't say anything about not towing in 6th but I guess some want to be on the safe side..

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » November 18th, 2012, 7:49 pm

BarKer wrote:
Wastednights wrote: ...At times first feels too low and other times too high, second is too high to start off in and a considerable jump from first.
I am not sure what anyone can do about 1st gear being sometimes too low and sometimes too high... You should have bought an auto, whack it in 'D' and go from 'A' to 'B'..
Wastednights wrote: ..The other issue I have is that in 6th gear towing on cruise, the slightest hill see's the speed drop to the point that cruise dissengages....
I have towed trailers with bikes and camping gear in the mountains and 1200 Kg Camper Trailers and on the highway between Sydney and Newcastle in sixth I have not had the Cruise Control drop out once.. 470nm is a lot of grunt.. I am guessing you were towing something heavy and big ?

Maybe you should go back to the dealer and get them to check it out...

I did say earlier that given my time again I'd buy the auto :)

I have owned 2 of the earlier model and still have one as an everday work ute, to me the earlier model got away more smartly from a standing start, this new one feels like I have to drive it like I stole it!!! however on the highway the new model runs rings around the earlier model, and off road it's brilliant.

Just to get it moving, to me anyway, it feels like I'm driving a fully loaded semi.

Perhaps once I fit a 3" chimney and chip, that'll put a rocket up it ?

It won't go back to the dealer for checking, infact given the quality of the Mazda dealer where I now live, this will be the last Mazda I buy until I relocate again :( I've had 5 over the past 5 years, dealt with dealers in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney and have nothing but praise for the Brand, Company and it's dealers until I moved here :(

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

Unread post by cruza driver » November 19th, 2012, 12:31 am

Thanks for all your answers and different driving condition scenarios.

I think I'm sold on the manual and I have always had manuals except in one car and I wish it had of been a manual. :D

The manual BT I drove was only a quick drive, but thats another story :mad: I then drove the auto straight after to compare the too. I agree the gearbox felt tight and the gear shifts short but I was happy with the feel of the ratios on my quick spin. I will be towing with the BT as well.

Once again thanks and I will let you know what I decide
BT50 GT

fishwenican
Avid Poster

Unread post by fishwenican » November 19th, 2012, 8:59 am

I have the manual ranger and NO issues, I have driven the auto aswell and found the manual
to be a better drive. Yes it was tight for a while but so it should be...its a new car.
Now after 12000kms it is shear pleasure to drive.....
the gearstick gives it a better look aswell, auto shifters look so cheap.

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

Unread post by cruza driver » November 19th, 2012, 9:09 am

Thanks Fish, :waycool:
BT50 GT

ATC
Been here a while

Unread post by ATC » November 19th, 2012, 10:22 am

I have the Auto, and anytime that I'm not in the city I wish I had a manual.

It does hold well in Low range, and 1st gear is nice a low, but going down a hill - it's an auto and short of Hill Decent Control it will want to get up a bit.

Over the weekend I did a 4WD course and was in Low Range all day.
Managed to get my DSC / Traction control to fault and turned the Traction Crontrol off / ABS in low range.

In the Auto going down steel loose rock track (one of the excercises) the benefit of a manual was clear - 1St Gear Low and let the engine do the braking.
In the Auto with no Traction Control had to be careful on the brakes.

That said - awesome engine, and overall I'm happy with the Auto, but sometime I do wish for the manual!

ATC

80mojo
Been here a while

Unread post by 80mojo » November 19th, 2012, 12:40 pm

I'm a manual man through and through, but if I could have purchased an auto XT, I would have.
The auto + electronic aids means this car can nearly drive itself.
Examples; Auto + cruise = no running away down hills on the highway
Auto + manual shift = a good balance when towing
Auto + HDC = who needs gears at all? Just stick it in neutral. (just to clarify, the manual is still king here but HDC works a treat)
Auto + city = bliss, compared to manual

One thing I do like is the shift from 6th to 3rd. I use this frequently when turning from a highway to a side road.
Also, I found that while spending 7 odd hours on the "Maytown" track at Cape York, swapping between HDC and engine braking for steep decents cuts driveline load up by half,
cheers,
mojo

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”