What canopy did you get and how much was it?

AMW83
Here and there

What canopy did you get and how much was it?

Unread post by AMW83 » September 19th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Hey Guys,

Im looking at getting a canopy for my PX Ranger Dual Cab and wanted to know peoples opionions?

Which brand did you get?
What problems have you had?
What price did you pay?
Any pics of it fitted?

Just trying to figure out whats best bang for buck... Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,

littlenose
Here and there

Re: What canopy did you get and how much was it?

Unread post by littlenose » September 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Got mine from sports 4x4 here in Perth $2300 fitted. No pics but Google is your friend. :)
2012 BT50 XTR Dual Cab Auto

fishwenican
Avid Poster

Unread post by fishwenican » September 19th, 2012, 11:52 pm

depends what configuration you get .....
sliding windows are usually standard...
lift up cost more.....
I have an egr lift up windows.......$3000 fitted.
very good quality and look awesome on the ranger.

ATC
Been here a while

Unread post by ATC » September 20th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Do you have ideas about what you want to do with it apart from "Have a Canopy!"

I have the EGR canopy (on a Mazda), but they have 2 genuine rook rack kits - 1 that has a high load carrying capacity.
ARB's canopies will allow for their roof rack systems to go on it.

If you just want to have a copvered tray then there are some cheapies out there, if you want to have it able to carry a load on a rack then that should be a starting point with various companies.

When I brought mine the standard was a Lift up window on the passenger side, and slide window on the drivers side.
Since I don't keep pets in the back, i wish I had 2 lift up windows as they make getting into the back corners so much easier - this is available as an option from EGR.

Good luck, and post some photo's
ATC

fishwenican
Avid Poster

Unread post by fishwenican » September 20th, 2012, 11:39 pm

@ATC
I like to spend my money on good quality items that I like the look of.
Cheap canopies look cheap and I will never compromise.eg... arb canopies look cheap and outdated andI didnt want to be the proverbial arb sheep as is the case with many.
The arb canopy really looks nasty on a nice looking car like the ranger.
cheaper doesnt mean value for money either.
I travel plenty and have the need for a versatile product and carry plenty in the back
I looked at all that was available and chose egr as it met all my needs. Looks awesome aswell.

TheDamage
Been here a while

Unread post by TheDamage » September 21st, 2012, 11:55 am

Flexiglass
$3500 fitted, gas lift all round

Prob: has a fold down front window but the entire window and rubber compartment fell out cruising down the beach..
Mazda BT-50 GT with TJM Bullbar / TJM Underbody Protection / Xray HID 220's / Ironman 9000lb rope Winch / 2" EFS Lift / Flexiglass Canopy / 2.75" Beaudesert Exhaust / 130L LongRanger Fuel tank / GME UHF / Projecta 150a Dual Battery / 12" Rear LightBar / KW Systems Chipped

Boreit
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Boreit » September 24th, 2012, 7:27 pm

i like the look of the Razorback Canopies "Steel" canopy. it is fabricated just like the body of a car. However this canopy wont be ready until late in the year. They also do a fibreglass "EKO" version. The guys at Razorback were happy to look at a group buy arrangement if i could get a few interested.
The other canopy that caught my attention was the Caddy Alpha Canopy with lift up side windows.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has experience with either brands. At this point i am waiting for the Razorback BT50 canopy to be available.
cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 24th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Razorback steel canopies are nice but they are so heavy, need spring upgrade to keep it at the same ride height. I looked at those, recommended by TJM whatever value you place on that, but I steered away because of the weight issue. Takes three men and a dog to lift the things.
The TJM ute I saw had nothing in the back, a razorback canopy and new springs on a BT50 and it sat at near the OE height.
Something lighter please.

Boreit
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Boreit » September 25th, 2012, 9:15 pm

yeh the razorback website claims the dual cab steel canopy weighs approx 80kg and fibreglass canopies are typically around 70kg. with plastic ones around 50kg. some obvious variables around weight capacity that can be supported by the roof etc etc. i guess it just comes down to what you want from the canopy in the end...

AdzBT50
Getting to know the place

Unread post by AdzBT50 » September 27th, 2012, 6:13 pm

I got the EGR Canopy which costed $3600 fitted through Mazda. Been a great canopy so far, totally waterproof and comes with an interior light. Sometimes I dont like the bubbly shape about it but it still looks pretty cool.
2012 Mazda BT50 XTR Dual Cab 4x4 - Black Mica - Mazda Bullbar, Tub Liner, 7 Spoke 17" Rims, Mazda Canopy, Front/Rear Slimline Weathershields, Mazda Towbar Kit
Coming Soon - 2" OME Lift, Dual Battery, BFG MT2

kenny5000
Here and there

Unread post by kenny5000 » December 6th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Can we get some pics of different canopies posted, just want to see how each brand looks on the BT.

seaskipper67
Here and there

Unread post by seaskipper67 » December 6th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Got an ARB but has gaps in the seals big enough to put your fingers through and they couldn't give a crap about it. Never again...............

ATC
Been here a while

Unread post by ATC » December 6th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Factory EGR canopy on the BT-50.
Don't know the price as I swaped a 3 piece cover and locking set for the canopy with the dealer.

If I was buying again, and could get it without the tub, I'ld consider a Service Body, but they are much dearer than a Tub + Canopy.

Mine has 1 (passenger) lift up window, and a (Drivers side) slide window.
I would get 2 Lift up windows if you don't have animals in the back, and just use it for camping.

EGR also have 2 rood rack kits for their canopys, 1 of them is heavy duty and has metal supports down to the tub to support the bars - they are on the list, but so is a bull bar, winch, snorkle, and the missus would like a Gold and Diamond ring sometime - so the 2nd roof rack might have to wait.

The tastful exterior photo's
Rack-Driver_1.jpg
Rack-Passenger_1.jpg
And what they hide!
Interior_Canopy.jpg
Pit Crew.jpg
ATC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » December 6th, 2012, 7:19 pm

I got the ARB canopy when I didn't know any better & totally regret it. What a waste of money. Yep it's got the big gaps which we have to plug somehow, no inner frame so we can't connect a roof rack to it, & it's very shoddily finished. I complained bitterly but it fell on deaf ears :urgh:

Today I dropped in to Ironman in Clayton to have a look at their drawers, & checked out their canopy while there. What a BEAUTY!!!! Cheaper than ARB, carpet lined, steel inner frame. Looked exceptional quality.

Now considering selling my ARB canopy & getting an Ironman instead. Only issue is it only comes in white & has to be sprayed to match but I think the ARB does too
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » December 6th, 2012, 7:31 pm

I have the high roof Flexiglass, very happy with it.

Lift up onLHS and slide on RHS incase I want to sleep in it.

Problems, had to adjust/rework the lift up window latches, they were too loose and let dust in, I have fitted LED strip lights since, nightime lighting is brilliant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”