what size tyre are you running

eveyoz
Here and there

Re: what size tyre are you running

Unread post by eveyoz » May 5th, 2013, 8:12 am

Be careful, doesnt the fact that the BT 50/ranger has electronic stability control affect what you can do?

Changing the tyre size has implications for ESC and is mentioned in some states rules.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » May 5th, 2013, 10:01 am

Most other new vehicles with ESC get away ok with 265/75/16, they would be nice actually after yesterdays run on the 245/75/16 when we let out pressures down to 24psi, and I even got down to 10psi. In short, I lost a lot of my clearance. Also to note, when in 4x4 lowrange, the ESC gets disabled. Also, Mazda can adjust the computer parameters, and Ive seen a fair few BT-50's with the 265/75/16 size in the service area on customers cars. So as long as Mazda are informed I guess to reflash the ECU I guess they'd warrant it.
Last edited by BTFIVO on October 13th, 2013, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eveyoz
Here and there

Unread post by eveyoz » May 6th, 2013, 5:53 am

I have read that the dealers (ford/mazda) can change the size of the tyre in their software but wondered if it was a myth. Ive never read anyones post who had it done just people who had heard that it could be done.

Ford and mazda should work with owners/ARB/TJM to test and allow these mods. It would set them apart from other manufacturers and be a selling point IMO.

Yakman777
Been here a while

Unread post by Yakman777 » May 10th, 2013, 11:40 am

The local dealer where we bought our BT50 has set up an XTR on 265/70/17 BFG KM2's, so I gather it's ok to up size judging by there actions, but any way here is a photo of my BT with 265/65/17 Achillies XMT's, So far so good, made the trek to Birdsville and back across so fantastic outback roads, no punctures or problems with them so far, 7000+ km's and counting! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ATC
Been here a while

Unread post by ATC » May 10th, 2013, 11:43 am

BTFIVO wrote:Also, Mazda can adjust the computer parameters, and Ive seen a fair few BT-50's with the 265/75/16 size in the service area on customers cars. So as long as Mazda are informed I guess to reflash the ECU I guess they'd warrant it.
Asked my dealer (in NSW) about this today, young guy on Service counter hadn't heard of it (no suprises there), will let you know.

Also waiting for a call back from Mazda Customer Service about other issues and will ask them as well.

ATC

ATC
Been here a while

Unread post by ATC » May 10th, 2013, 11:47 am

Yakman777 wrote:Here is a photo of my BT with 265/65/17 Achillies XMT's,
:star: :star: Looks great, :star: :star: but there's questions...

Tell us about your rims, are they covered, painted, powdercoated or anodized?
MazdaRim.jpg
I've seen a few ad's for places that have powdercoated (mazda / ford) rims, and also spoke to 1 anodizer (they wouldn't do it - to much magnesium in the rim so it comes out grey(.

ATC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yakman777
Been here a while

Unread post by Yakman777 » May 10th, 2013, 11:54 am

They are the factory 17"rims, painted with proper Wheel Matt Black paint, there are places that do paint rims and also powder coat them but I prep'ed and painted my own. It took about 4 hrs a rim to clean, prep and paint, two coats of Matt black also did the same to the factory side steps to keep the Blue and Black theme going :D

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » May 10th, 2013, 2:58 pm

ATC
I think a lot of the time, Mazda will try and "pass the buck" on questions, just because they cant be fkd. I spoke with Ford about it today and they confirmed the need to adjust computer if the tyre size was beyond factory spec so the ESC works properly. As soon as they do adjust it, it puts it back as a warrantable item, which they dont want the responsibility. Bums.!!

macmanluke
Been here a while

Unread post by macmanluke » May 10th, 2013, 3:05 pm

I find it hard to believe bigger tyres will affect ESC at all.

Car is still going to see the correct RPM per wheel, centre of gravity is going to be slightly higher but less so than a 2" lift.

Even then there would be tolerances built in to compensate for different tyre wear, tyre material etc.

Iv certainly found no difference in behaviour with regards to traction control, ESC etc

ATC
Been here a while

Unread post by ATC » May 10th, 2013, 5:21 pm

You obviously don't have the Big Auto mentality of "how can I void this claim", and "I know that I could have put better sized tyres on, but we saved $1.25 / tyre with our choice" (actual saving may have been more)

macmanluke
Been here a while

Unread post by macmanluke » May 10th, 2013, 5:59 pm

oh i agree insurance COs might try to get out of a claim but they would ESC or not.

BTDave
Here and there

Unread post by BTDave » May 10th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Traded in the stock Dunlops AT22 for BFG ATs 265/70/17

feels good

The dealership had the same size Coopers on their demo vehicle
2013 BT50 XTR dual cab|factory snorkel|BFGs ATs|OME suspension|ARB bull bar|ARB bash plates|Lightforce 240 Blitz HID|GME UHF|Pacemaker King Brown 3" zorst

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » May 10th, 2013, 9:26 pm

macmanluke wrote:oh i agree insurance COs might try to get out of a claim but they would ESC or not.
^^ I'm thinking this is having a lot to do with it as well Luke... apart from ADR & RTA data, why else are tyre companies refuse fitment of certain sizes. It's all a crock of Bull-****

macmanluke
Been here a while

Unread post by macmanluke » May 10th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Problem is law says 50 or 15mm depending on state. Exceed that your taking a chance.

Maybe one day we will get more freedom (but most likely less knowing the gov...)

15mm is just not acceptable to me. 50mm just acceptable.

Yakman777
Been here a while

Unread post by Yakman777 » May 10th, 2013, 10:43 pm

It really is amazing the amount of tyre dealers that will not fit anything but what your tyre placard say's, they are legally bound to only sell you the tyres that are designated for your type of vehicle and the current rim size that vehicle is running. As I have posted on this subject before, a lot of tyre dealers in Qld will fit any tyre the customer wants but you will have to take your rims and tyres into the dealer and then take them back and fit them to your vehicle yourself. ;)

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”