Engine shutting down while driving?

Jason h
I'm new, be nice!

Engine shutting down while driving?

Unread post by Jason h » November 25th, 2017, 11:16 am

Hi guys. New to site. Having intermittent dramas with 2013 bt50 . First time it happenned was after i left work at 7 in morning doing 100ks all the dash lights come on for an instant ant it seemed to stall? But restarted itself and never missed another beat. Was due for a service so put it in and asked for a error code reading to see what it was. There were no error codes. Then bout month later started it up at 530pm to go to work pulled onto the road and the radio cut out then dash lights come on again and just kept flashing very fast truck was running rough as. Got it back home. Started it after i come home from work and its fine. Anybody got any ideas? Sorry for long post

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Engine shutting down while driving?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 27th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Have you checked & cleaned/tightened the battery connections & all the earth connections you can find?? I've seen similar cut-outs & flashing dash lights in the past on other vehicle makes/models, & often the problem was a dirty/poor earth, either directly on the negative battery terminal, or sometimes on the earth strap from the dash/ignition onto the body under the dash.... not positive that'll be it, but it's probly worth checking. ;)

Good Luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Flash6
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Flash6 » December 2nd, 2017, 2:55 pm

When you were driving, did the problem happen when cruising or under acceleration, deacceleration, when you took your foot off the accelerator and hit the brakes? Have you made any recent mods to the vehicle prior the the issues starting? I've known similar issues with different root causes depending on driving scenario hence why many questions. The more info you can give on driving scenario to your garage the more potential they have to consider the root cause. In both cases though the fixes were simple though not necessary cheap. One was a brake sensor. The other was an ecu dropping voltage.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » December 3rd, 2017, 9:45 am

A loose bolt on the crank angle sensor can cause a shutdown.
Another thing to check is the wiring loom where it runs around the front of the motor. It can get damaged by a sharp edge on the timing chain cover and cause random errors.

http://www.newranger.net/forums/viewtop ... amp#p84870

Jason h
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jason h » December 4th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Thanks for replies guys. Mazda seems to think it was sensor errors and needed 4 or 5 computer updates as it hadnt been to mazda for a service in a while. Hasnt done it since but thats the problem with intermittent faults. U never know really if uts fixed

Midwester
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Midwester » September 14th, 2018, 3:19 pm

How did you go with this Jason? A mate of mine had the same issue, and after many trips to the dealership (who found nothing wrong) he got wind of the crank angle sensor becoming loose. On inspection it had moved slightly and was not tight. Since re-adjusting he hasn't had an issue again.

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”