View topic - Conversations on the road, without the UHF!

Conversations on the road, without the UHF!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Here and there

Conversations on the road, without the UHF!

Traveling the other night (400kms) passed a truck on a blind stretch because the truckie signialled me with his indicator to pass then when I moved back in I flicked the indecator once to the right to say thanks and he flick his lights to say no probs.

I'm an avid user of giving a nice flash of white light to all those who don't lower their high beams coming towards me, actually it's more than a flash they stay on until the rude, lazy or forgetful oncomer's hi-beams are dropped. But doesn't everyone do this?

Was just wondering if anyone else had any other tricks they use on the road.

Unread postby brstow » August 29th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Need to get out more

a few quick indicates of the right = overtake, it's safe
left right left = cheers mate
highbeams = TURN YOUR HIGHBEAMS OFF
spotties = TURN YOUR SPOTTIES OFF!
'98 Jackaroo - Alloy Bullbar, Stainless 3" snorkel, Steel Rear bumper, custom timber centre console, 245/75r16 All Terrains, 2" Suspension Lift.
Currently converting to 3.1L Diesel with MUA I-2 Gearbox, hybrid 94/98 dash and other things....

Unread postby chikoroll » August 29th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Need to get out more

when one truck overtakes another, sometimes you'll see them flash their lights to let the other truck know when he's passed them enough to move back over.

Unread postby rumpig » August 29th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Avid Poster

Rumpig,

I do that all the time when truckies pass me. They love you for it, for it is hard for them to tell whether they have completely passed you.

The more we co-operate, the more we stay alive.

BennyT50

Unread postby BennyT50 » August 29th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Part of the furniture

Same here, I flash my high beams, to signal the truckie that he has passed me and can merge into my lane.

Truckies then always indicate right-left-right-left to say "cheers" :thumb:

Works a treat and I will always help them out as much as I can, as I also appreciate when people do it to me when I'm towing another 4wd on a trailer and have limited agility in traffic :thumb:

Unread postby A.J. » August 29th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Need to get out more

Wow, who would have known there was a driving language as well as the sms and net chat!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Unread postby Aaron Schubert » August 29th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Getting to know the place

Thats fine until you get a B double jockey that ignores indicators and tries to run you off the road because you a bit slow. Happened to me towing a trailer south thru Macksville on a wet night about 5 weeks ago. I was lucky I was watching and had the experience to save the situation the ***** trucky should have been taken of the road permanently. I had travelled from Ballina south with an unwieldy trailer that had to much weight at the back and I knew I was a liability so I was constantly watching and moving off to let traffic past, I called all thru ,unbeknown to me My Uhf stopped transmitting not long before. but it still do'es not forgive the trucky that ignore indicators at the end of an overtaking lane. Barnray

Unread postby Barnray » August 29th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Part of the furniture

Barnray wrote:Thats fine until you get a B double jockey that ignores indicators and tries to run you off the road because you a bit slow. Happened to me towing a trailer south thru Macksville on a wet night about 5 weeks ago. I was lucky I was watching and had the experience to save the situation the ***** trucky should have been taken of the road permanently. I had travelled from Ballina south with an unwieldy trailer that had to much weight at the back and I knew I was a liability so I was constantly watching and moving off to let traffic past, I called all thru ,unbeknown to me My Uhf stopped transmitting not long before. but it still do'es not forgive the trucky that ignore indicators at the end of an overtaking lane. Barnray

Just to make sure I'm straight with this....

You were towing a unsafe trailer, loaded in a unsafe manner (Overweight even?), driving below the speed limit in wet and dangerous conditions. And you knew you were unsafe, yet continued to drive a unsafe vehicle in unsafe conditions.

Sounds to me that it wasn't the trucky being a dickhead in this situation.

Unread postby chuckybear » August 30th, 2010, 7:36 am

Need to get out more

when on dirt roads if the oncoming wankers dont slow down to a non windscreen busting pace, I steer straight at them....... that gets their attention and slows them down unless the want to go bush ;)
The Mother Ship Lands on December 21 in a town near you

Unread postby Harb » August 30th, 2010, 7:52 am

Been here a while

Harb wrote:when on dirt roads if the oncoming wankers dont slow down to a non windscreen busting pace, I steer straight at them....... that gets their attention and slows them down unless the want to go bush ;)

haha your car wouldn't last very long here, if ya didn't have a head on collision the countryman would run ya off the road and spear ya.

it is much easier to just worry about your self and not get worked up over what other people are doing.

Unread postby supazuk » August 30th, 2010, 9:15 am

Here and there

Always gunna be another idiot round the corner that does the same thing....although sometimes i end up swearing at the steering wheel and cursing the gods with what some dickheads do on the road! Some should plain not be driving on dirt roads where i live. :crazy:

In my neck of woods i find it best to pull off the road if a semi is coming at ya, might take you 2mins but it saves a broken windscreen, id like to see a semi pull off in a ditch quickly for a oncoming cruiser......would be a bit hard me thinks.....
06 Di-Turbo HDJ79R
DPChip, Beaudesert 3Inch
Warn XP 9.5
Safari Snorkel

Keeping Cape York well tracks well worn :)

Unread postby Tommy » August 30th, 2010, 9:50 am

chikoroll wrote:a few quick indicates of the right = overtake, it's safe
left right left = cheers mate
highbeams = TURN YOUR HIGHBEAMS OFF
spotties = TURN YOUR SPOTTIES OFF!

Also Use the double flash = mr Plod up ahead ;)

Last night on my way home about 100m away an oncoming BMW X5 flashed me good. dunno how she thought I had high beams on, as my lights are adjusted quite well. so I let Rip with the HID Light force spotties and got her square on.
Doubt she'll do that again in a hurry:p

Unread postby Black Bull » August 30th, 2010, 10:28 am

Need to get out more

Tommy wrote:Agreed with that, always gunna be another idiot round the corner that does the same thing....although sometimes i end up swearing at the steering wheel and cursing the gods with what some dickheads do on the road! Some should plain not be driving on dirt roads where i live. :crazy:

In my neck of woods i find it best to pull off the road if a semi is coming at ya, might take you 2mins but it saves a broken windscreen, id like to see a semi pull off in a ditch quickly for a oncoming cruiser......would be a bit hard me thinks.....

with trucks I let them go, but cars....well tough luck.
I was born and bred in the country and spent the vast majority of my life on dirt roads, both in cars and trucks and it is considered good form to slow down for oncoming traffic....... the DH's that dont can dodge the guide posts if there are any......
The Mother Ship Lands on December 21 in a town near you

Unread postby Harb » August 30th, 2010, 10:37 am

Harb wrote:with trucks I let them go, but cars....well tough luck.
I was born and bred in the country and spent the vast majority of my life on dirt roads, both in cars and trucks and it is considered good form to slow down for oncoming traffic....... the DH's that dont can dodge the guide posts if there are any......

I hear ya Harb. back home on the developmental roads, when you see a dust cloud on the horizon though, you get off the road and wait, means a road train is comming through.

In the old days of timber framed caravans, you'd regularly see a bare chassis on the side of the road and the rest of the caravan scattered for several hundred meters :p

Unread postby Black Bull » August 30th, 2010, 11:15 am

I'm new, be nice!

chuckybear wrote:Just to make sure I'm straight with this....

You were towing a unsafe trailer, loaded in a unsafe manner (Overweight even?), driving below the speed limit in wet and dangerous conditions. And you knew you were unsafe, yet continued to drive a unsafe vehicle in unsafe conditions.

Sounds to me that it wasn't the trucky being a dickhead in this situation.

You took the words right out of my mouth

Unread postby pete the truckie » August 30th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Next

Return to Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!