View topic - Iridium Sat Phone

Iridium Sat Phone

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Need to get out more

Iridium Sat Phone

Whats the best deal with an Iridium Sat phone.
I want to buy one asap, but was wondering about deals....

someone said that there is one where the incoming calls are only charged as if they were calling a normal mobile........ I know outgoing calls are dear, but I was more looking at the cost of incoming.

I want my daughter to be able to ring me at a pre determined time each night when I am away out of normal mobile range, when we head north.
The Mother Ship Lands on December 21 in a town near you

Unread postby Harb » May 15th, 2010, 12:59 am

Need to get out more

Harb wrote:Whats the best deal with an Iridium Sat phone.
I want to buy one asap, but was wondering about deals....

someone said that there is one where the incoming calls are only charged as if they were calling a normal mobile........ I know outgoing calls are dear, but I was more looking at the cost of incoming.

I want my daughter to be able to ring me at a pre determined time each night when I am away out of normal mobile range, when we head north.

Hi Harb...Have a look here as there is a bit to get through if you look at links etc.

satellite phones @ ExplorOz
NM Paj - 2.5 Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Front ARB Locker

Unread postby steveandviv » May 15th, 2010, 2:48 pm

John, I'm not much help, but I just leave mine connected on the $28 (or thereabouts) Iridium deal with Telstra that I've had for about 6 years. My call costs each year are less than $20, but the security of having access is why I bought it. BTW, the cost of the service is about what I used to pay to hire one every year for a couple of weeks. I take it everywhere I go off road as the tracks in the mountains that we enjoy rarely have GSM access.

I'm about due for a new handset so if you come accross any great deals please let me know. Alternatively, you are welcome to borrow it if our trips don't conflict. ;)
2004 GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND.

WHAT SIDE WAS YOURS ON IN WW2? :)

Unread postby BLU-125 » May 15th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Need to get out more

Hey thanks heaps Guys...... I really appreciate the offers you are making via here and PM's....... I feel like I ought to buy you all a beer ;)

Well I am now under strict instructions from Michele to Buy one...... seeing as we will be away from our little girl for 2 weeks....first time ever......usually we take her everywhere, but this one may be a bit quick for her to sit and enjoy...... and not sure if we can handle the screaming to slow down for 2800km's !!!
So we have come to the conclusion that a phone call each night might be the go......
And I guess with the restructure at work, we will be away more this year, and without the HF Radio a Sat Phone seems like a good idea.......another toy :)
Thanks again though, for the help guys :)

Unread postby Harb » May 16th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Avid Poster

My dad just picked one up nice and cheap for $500 he got a phone, leather puoch, mounted ariel and a portable ariel. didn't bother getting it connected, just got international roaming enabled on his telstra 3g phone, just throws the sim into the sat phone and bingo.

look on flea bay, there is always heaps going there.
2012 Nissan Pathfinder

Unread postby squeeker » May 16th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Part of the furniture

squeeker wrote:My dad just picked one up nice and cheap for $500 he got a phone, leather puoch, mounted ariel and a portable ariel. didn't bother getting it connected, just got international roaming enabled on his telstra 3g phone, just throws the sim into the sat phone and bingo.

look on flea bay, there is always heaps going there.

Surely it's not that simple... If it is, I want one. There's cheap ones going on eBay US - I assume being a sat phone, they're not country specific?

Unread postby WD21 » May 17th, 2010, 9:12 am

Avid Poster

yeah that was the debate we were having but he tried it while they were away and we could all call each other.
the call costs aren't what you normally pay for normal calls but it's a way of doing it when only needing it for trips. (not sure on the costs for any calls/messages we just know they are higher)
2012 Nissan Pathfinder

Unread postby squeeker » May 17th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Part of the furniture

It wasn't a dual-band sat phone, one that also operates on terrestrial frequencies? 'Cos that'd explain why it worked. Unless this is a magical loophole that the companies don't want us to know about... :D

Unread postby WD21 » May 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Avid Poster

WD21 wrote:It wasn't a dual-band sat phone, one that also operates on terrestrial frequencies? 'Cos that'd explain why it worked. Unless this is a magical loophole that the companies don't want us to know about... :D

Ours is a dual band so I think thats whats happened.

Maybe if you put up the model we would know for sure.

Cheers

Unread postby cockles » May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Been here a while

You want the Motorola 9500 or 9505 as long as it will take the Telstra SIM. And yes they do work with a Next G SIM set to international roaming.

You can also hire the Sat phones.

Keep away from the Vodafone Globalstar unless you want to wait for a couple of days for a satellite to come into view.

This mob may be able to help you. See: Landwide

Mike

Unread postby cuvier100 » May 17th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Been here a while

i bought a second hand 9500 model off a mate and thought about trying the Next G sim card in it, read a bit on the web about it, but sat at my desk one morning thought what if for what ever reason the next g card didnt work when you really needed it.........i wander in to a Telstra shop that morning and signed up to a $30/month contract. As far as i am concerned its cheap insurance, especially as we are starting to venture further afield with the young bloke.

I hope i never have to use it in an emergency to be honest, but its good to know that you are contactable at a set time like Harb wants to do

Have a good trip Harb

Unread postby gtir300 » May 17th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Avid Poster

I know you need international roaming turn on, when its used there is a long delay, and he has had excelent reception in places that there is no phone signal.

Apearantly the call costs are higher than if you had a propper plan.

it is an Iridium 9050 phone.
2012 Nissan Pathfinder

Unread postby squeeker » May 18th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Here and there

Hey all,

Scored myself a back today courtesy of the Yankee Dollar. I managed to pick up a Sony Ericsson R290 GlobalStar for only $70 AUD. Its used and doesnt have a battery or charger but will cost peanuts for those and its in mint condition :D
[b]606ETA (GO GETA) Now a 97 GQ Patrol 2.8 TD. ARB steel bar, 31in BFG Muddies with a long list of upcoming mods :D
[/b]

Unread postby BigRemz » May 19th, 2010, 12:50 am

Need to get out more

The one i think you were talkin about Harb i saw on one of Pat's DVD's and if i remember rightly it was the Canning Stock Route one!
Might be worth checkin his website or borrowing a copy of his DVD off of someone and check it out.
It stuck in my head cause i thought that was a great deal too.

Good Luck,

Steve.
forget the racin and stick to the social, to many people with there hand out!!!!!

Unread postby et4wd » May 19th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Need to get out more

I'll give Pat a call and ask him....... Thats were I remember it from now you mention it.....dohhhh... :)

Unread postby Harb » May 19th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Next

Return to Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!