Tell us (show pics?) about Yowies, panthers, & rock-dogs?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Anthony
Part of the furniture

Tell us (show pics?) about Yowies, panthers, & rock-dogs?

Unread post by Anthony » October 16th, 2009, 8:55 am

If Yowies are in fact living in our bush , can any of the members tell me what they eat ? If they are vegetarians I can't believe that enough natural edible vegetable or herbage can be found , and especially in times of drought , to support a species of large bipod creatures in good health without them raiding farm crops and orchards .

And if they were raiding farms for food wouldn't they have been spotted a long time ago , and welcomed into our society , and dressed up in suits and put to work , may be for the government ?

If on the other hand they are omnivorous they could easily supplement their diet with the occasional Joey or Bandicoot or a well fed Happy Camper or Hitch Hiker and still not draw attention to themselves .

An un-substantiated story that has occasionally aired on ABC talk-back radio that mentions a Yowie who lives in the Pilliga Bush NSW and has his lair decorated with human limbs hanging in the bushes curing for consumption at a later date .

This story sounds quite plausible because campers and backpackers would be an easy target for a large Ape like creature with a yearning for fresh protein .

Did you go into the Pilliga Bush lately to confabulate with this inhabitant , to sit down and chew the fat , so to speak ? Or do you know some one who did and didn't return to tell the tale ?

Or do you wonder if Yowies exist at all ? I have looked in the bush , behind trees , in gullies , over hill and dale , but have never seen sight nor sound of a Yowie , but the same applies to UFO's and Black Panthers .

Are Yowies just an Urbane Myth , an amusing tale to tell around the camp fire on a dark breezy spooky night to entertain the children , and they don't really exist at all ?
2.5 td Paj. Very good down hills. Whenever you take your foot off the accelerator it immediately goes into "Sleep Mode".

80?
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80? » October 16th, 2009, 10:36 am

same as big cats, none in the Victorian high country, too many Hunting hounds running around every winter weekend (except alpine national park).
Vote 1 shooters and fishers.

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » October 16th, 2009, 11:28 am

.... I'll have some of what your havin there Anthony...! Bottoms up!!
'06 GU4 4.2 Diesel, nicely tweaked and set up for the touring!

davoee
Part of the furniture

Unread post by davoee » October 16th, 2009, 12:00 pm

MEAT of course

there favourite meal was Aboriginals but with the movment of them to the citys etc the yowie population was severly reduced. the rest were wiped out by 1080

FNB4WD
Avid Poster

Unread post by FNB4WD » October 16th, 2009, 12:01 pm

We had this creature jump out at us from behind a tree in Tasmania. Not sure what type but we guessed it was a Yeti not a Yowie. :p

Proudly independent. Great Team !!

[url]http://www.fnb4wd.com.au[/url]

Tree cutter
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tree cutter » October 16th, 2009, 1:10 pm

I think the black panthers have eaten all the Yowies so you don't have to worry about them anymore.
I have seen a panther cross the road near the Penola gulf course about 18 years ago but never seen anything like a yowie in the twenty years i have worked in the bush.

Captain Cupcake
Avid Poster

Yowie Question

Unread post by Captain Cupcake » October 16th, 2009, 1:19 pm

For more information on the Yowie, Tasmanian Tiger, UFO'S and other Australian Mysteries, check out Rex & Heather Gilroys Mysterious Australasia

And there is also this thread I started some time back http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/show ... hp?t=62285
[align=center][align=left][url]http://www.fluoridealert.org/[/url]
[url]http://www.themotleycrew.info/[/url] [url]http://www.nblc.com.au/[/url][/align]
[/align]

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » October 16th, 2009, 1:48 pm

I've said it before, there is a reason we're not allowed into the Avon Wilderness.

Seriously Chuckanoo, WTF?? That page is doin me head in!!

:eek::rolleyes::cool::rolleyes::eek:

80?
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80? » October 16th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Agent 13
Plenty of hounds get in there. they would tree a BIG CAT OR A YOWIE quick smart.
Vote 1 shooters and fishers.

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » October 16th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Bit of a worry that hound situation if you ask me. "Rescued" one once that had been out for a few days according to owners, and on the radio they always seem to be trying to locate them at the end of the day... kooky... must cost a fortune too...

(Flame ON!!)

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » October 16th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Okay, no taking the p$@#.

About 25 yrs back I saw a big (8ft tall) black and hairy thing lumber across the road near Kempsey NSW. Turned the car around to have a look and got a big case of the chills and took off. Mum asked if I saw a ghost when I got home.

Few days later one of the farmers said they had a cow killed by what he thought were wild dogs but the leg joints had been pulled apart while fresh so damned if he knew.

The indigenous people around that area have believed in them for years.

There is a suggestion that they have a sixth sense that they somehow project a "fear" emotion like whales do with sonar that scares people away. Most who say they have seen them have experienced this.

I suppose they didnt know apes existed till the turn of last century.

Trojan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Trojan » October 16th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I am open to the idea, either way. If someone proves they exist, i feel sorry for the outcome. If no one proves it, then it's still a great camp fire story.

I do have one thought though, for those that want to categoricallyy say nothing wierd could exist in our bush. The Wollemi Pine was discovered in 1994, that's not that long ago. It's a tree of all things that can stand nearly 40m tall and doesn't move around and it took that long to discover. So anything could easily live in that long stretch of bushland, which when you look at it, stretches a very long way with minimal human presence.

BushyD22
Been here a while

Unread post by BushyD22 » October 16th, 2009, 4:54 pm

its a big place out there and with enough time in the bush your bound to see weird stuff. some stories i have been told by very skeptical farmers, stockman and others who spend a lot of time out bush are nothing short of weird. i have seen strange things to.
04 D22- 3" lift, 33" STs, 16" Enkei Race wheels, Locked up front and a whole lotta grinding!!!!!:D:D:D
plus the dual batterys, uhf, 50l fridge, roof racks, bashplates and onboard compressor.:truck:

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » October 16th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Anthony wrote:If Yowies are in fact living in our bush , can any of the members tell me what they eat ? If they are vegetarians I can't believe that enough natural edible vegetable or herbage can be found , and especially in times of drought , to support a species of large bipod creatures in good health without them raiding farm crops and orchards .

If on the other hand they are omnivorous they could easily supplement their diet with the occasional Joey or Bandicoot

Are Yowies just an Urbane Myth , an amusing tale to tell around the camp fire on a dark breezy spooky night to entertain the children , and they don't really exist at all ?
Dont forget the Aboriginals managed to live off the land without farming for thousands of years. Theres plenty of food out in the bush for the taking. Theres a hell of alot of bushland out there and just because you havent seen it dosent mean it dosent exist.
As for black panthers, you can take it as a given that there out in the bush. Thats not to hard to convice given that they have run away from circus in the past and not to mention the ones that were illegally raised by people then released when they got to big.

chuckybear
Part of the furniture

Unread post by chuckybear » October 16th, 2009, 6:38 pm

I know they exsist.
And hunters have gone about it totally wrong.
To catch one you need to for a three day bender and then pick up while still on it hard.
When you wake up in the morning next to it....you'll be a believer too.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”