Cabramurra closures

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
nilla60

Cabramurra closures

Unread post by nilla60 » January 13th, 2017, 2:44 am

Cabramurra, highest town in Australia is being vacated of residents:
14333779_653984814754671_1059498663228634453_n.jpg
I can only wonder at the implications to access and services, let alone long trrm prospect of fading away like Kiandra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Cabramurra closures

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 14th, 2017, 7:36 am

I been there a few years ago. I did get a bit of a " Truman show" feeling when I saw it. It looked a little fake. But I did read up on it and it all made sense why did built it the way they built it. It's a great, although fairly young/new, Snowy Mountain history
that should be kept.

I missed the Snowies this year. I was keen but could not get there because of limited time we had. We did go last year but the rain got the better of me and we left after 2 days.
Next year maybe....

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 14th, 2017, 10:12 am

You might want to try to schedule it earlier if you can BigD!! It might've been a little 'faked', but that was to ensure the impact was minimal. By maintaing that & other facilities & showing that it COULD be done, Snowy Hydro has been a big part of helping keep the Park open for well managed recreational activities besides walking & in keeping NPWS honest for years, ensuring Access for ALL has remained viable despite the NPWS's avowed intention (& I'll quote a former Director here) to 'get rid of all the tourists and I'll have a fantastic Park' - but now that Snowy Hydro has caved, that's changing rapidly!! At the rate the less 'well heeled' General Public & any activities they might possibly enjoy in the Nat Park are being pushed out & affordable access for All is being restricted & closed, leave it too long & you won't even be allowed IN to Kosciuzko Nat Park soon - unless you can pay for the privilege of partaking of the expensive 'sanctioned' activities, are fit & well enough to carry your home & all your requirements for a week on your back, or you're a mate of someone high up in NPWS of course!! :irked:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » January 15th, 2017, 10:10 am

Wasn't Cabramurra once infamous as the divorce capital of Australia? From that aspect, I am sure that some will be glad to see it gone.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”