So what have you been up to?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
nilla60

So what have you been up to?

Unread post by nilla60 » January 12th, 2017, 9:26 am

We've been up in the Snowies for the most part. Spent NYE camped at Blowering under a perfect night sky and did some exploring of the nearby hills, dry compared to October but plenty of washed out tracks and fallen timber. A nice contrast a week later was beers on the St Kilda waterfront at a fancy pub and watching the trendy folk and backpackers on the boardwalk. Now we're home just enough to mow the lawn and do some laundry and we're off to the Snowies again this arvo. Stiinky hot day yesterday so I finally got around to welding up my new folding fireplace, won't be needing that any time soon.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: So what have you been up to?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 12th, 2017, 10:16 am

Sounds like a hard job nilla, but someone's gotta do it!! And since it can't be me.... ;)

Enjoy
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 12th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Sounds like Nilla is on horridays, but why go to St Kilda? Probably so you can appreciate the Snowies more. Smart bloke I reckon.
Best view/pic of Melbourne is the one snapped in the rearvision mirror.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » January 12th, 2017, 2:23 pm

That was an obligatory rello crawl over the festive season to see people we'd not seen for a few years.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » January 12th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Worked through Xmas. Always do. Don't like getting out and about during the Silly Season. However we did take a quicky, three nights, up to friends at Gladstone between South West Rocks and Kempsey. Had to get away for a few days due to a sh---y moment at work. All good now just sorting out the mess they left behind. Moving forward though off to NZ at the beginning of March for two weeks. I've been drooling over their glorious weather lately. I've had enough of this crap heat, bring on Autumn and Winter. One week in the Queenstown area and the other in the North Island around Rotorua area. Have friends there. Well just north about 45min. After that back into some Camping....... :D

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » January 16th, 2017, 9:17 pm

I'm really exciting, work, more work & just for something different work :irked:
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

sparra
Here and there

Unread post by sparra » February 15th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Pulled the pin where I had been working for the last 15 years (shark bay salt at Useless Loop,w.a.) retired,left there on Anzac Day,few days at Carrarang station just down the road fishin and camping. Called in to Paraburdoo to see an old mate for a night,then proceeded to Onslow to catch up with friends that live/work there and done a bit of fishing.
Stayed at Barn Hill for a few days then headed all round the Kimberley,some good fishing on the lower Keep river.
Stayed here and there then went to Dundee Beach and then into Humpty Doo on a mates property for a month.(more fishin,drinking).
Through Kakadu to Pine Creek (where I used to work in the mine years ago). Then out to Roper Bar and mouth of Roper River(very desolate spot) and on to Lorrella Springs for 3 weeks camped most of the time out at the coast,very nice. Made my way slowly across the Gulf track camping at a few spots then went up from Normanton to the Mitchell river crossing near Dunbar station for a week camped on the southern bank,what a nice spot.
Left there and took the Koolatah,Oriners track that comes out just south of Musgrave,a good track,never went northwards from there as I have been to the top several times and anyway there was way too much traffic for me.,so I headed to Cooktown and then Mareeba where I camped at the Rodeo ground for a few days.
From there I went out on the Chillagoe road to Almaden then down to Mount Surprise,Georgetown,Forsayth,Oasis roadhouse,Greenvale to Charters Towers and then to the Burdekin Dam where I stayed for a few days.
Left there on the back track to Mount Coolon,Nebo and to Grasstree Beach where I caught up with old friends that live there ,stayed a week.
After that a reasonable quick trip to Brisbane and stayed there a month with friends.
After there I went inland from the coast a bit in NSW,Warialda,Inverell and Armidale and then hit the coast again to check out the Slim Dusty centre at Kempsey.
From there it was a slow trip down to Victoria via backtracks to my old home town of Bairnsdale where I had left 35 years ago to travel,Work and seek adventure,I certainly found that.
I have bought a place at Bairnsdale and have been reaqainting myself with the high country again which is right on the doorstep,also great catching up with old mates etc.
Well that's what I done for 7 months or so from April 2016. Many more trips to come
Cheers, Sparra

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » April 16th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Mostly I've been working but a couple of day trips up the beach and to glasshouse mountains have kept me sane enough to get through to the next campfire
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”