what things do you look for in a car.

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
jfoldbar
Avid Poster

what things do you look for in a car.

Unread post by jfoldbar » August 7th, 2016, 5:45 am

we all have different tastes and likes when choosing a car. im curious what others consider important or not when choosing a car/4by, and why is that important for you.

for example, a car i used to own is widely known among its owners to be very unreliable, however a lot of the people that own them are quite happy to pay in excess of $500pw to keep them on the road because if they are going good they are very nice to drive. comfort over cost and practicality is their choice.

another example is the 1hdt is preferred over the 1hz, then the 1hd-ft preferred over them. but why?

what are the factors you look at most.

me personally, i think id go a robust thing like a 60 series with a 2h over a 200 series with all the bells and whistles. reliability is my number 1, everything else is second to me.

what do for and why, how do you justify it?

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: what things do you look for in a car.

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 7th, 2016, 8:25 am

I have had all sorts of 4WD's and own a Jeep at the moment. Why a Jeep?
Cause it was cheap and looked OK. I wanted a bit of a project. That's why I bought it.
As for my daily/wife's daily we chose this particular brand because it's very quiet, fast, really good on fuel, not to expensive to service and reliable.
We love the look of the car and have had this brand of car for a very long time.
We are very happy BMW drivers. We have compared our car to all sorts of other cars but for us there is only one and that's our BMW.

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » August 7th, 2016, 11:44 am

As far as my 4by goes, I wanted something affordable, good space, towing capability, looked good, reliable and semi capable off road. It needed to be new for salary packaging purposes, which was also good for me in that I could choose the configuration I wanted and I knew the car's history. I also wanted it to be (relatively) fuel efficient as my other car is a 6l V8 :) It needed some core features like aircon, cruise, safety stuff etc. And I wanted something that would have goodies available for it, enabling a potential big trip somewhere.

The collie has ticked all the boxes. I could have paid 20-30k more for an equivalent brand which is supposedly cheaper for parts and servicing. No thanks, that 20-30k is better off in my pocket and servicing/parts has been as minimal a cost as I've ever experienced. The thing is reliable too.

It needed to be blue too :) Surprising how many car makers these days provide you with 200 shades of black/grey/silver but neglect good looking colours which are a high contrast to the roads we drive on.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 7th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Good lookin' blondes usually, but a good looking red head will sometimes get a second look! :lol:

That's what I look for in cars, dunno bout the rest of you lot tho. ;)

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » November 1st, 2016, 6:24 pm

Agreed! It's a trap though, I ended up marying one just so I could make it a permanent feature. ( Probably the most expensive accessory I ever purchased though - albeit you can carry across to each new vehicle)
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » November 1st, 2016, 8:29 pm

:lol: Cmar, all accessories grow old mate, but don't let the current one know you are considering updating :rolleyes:

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » November 26th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Mine has to be simple. I need to be able to fix it in the middle of nowhere. No bloody silicon chips!!!! Also do all the general servicing myself and ofcourse... a diesel. I wont even have power windows or central locking.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » November 27th, 2016, 10:08 am

Hmmm... things haven't been like that for a while. It would be difficult to get a 4wd with those specs these days.
flintstone car.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”