i need a computer and TV technowizard

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
solidute
Avid Poster

i need a computer and TV technowizard

Unread post by solidute » July 1st, 2016, 12:08 pm

hi,

as the title suggests im in need of a computer and tv technowizard.

this for what i think should be a fairly straight forward task but seems to be more difficult than first assumed.

sound familiar? good im not alone then.

ok so i have purchased a portable hard drive to store all my movies and music on so its easy to access when travelling and at home. what i want to do is be able to password protect a folder so that the kids cant access it but it needs to be able to input the password when plugged into a tv or portable dvd player or ipad or whatever. the content of said folder is NOT, i repeat is NOT x rated but obviously isnt suitable for 4, 6 and 8 year olds.

am i dreaming or is there something out there that will help me out so i dont need a number of these expensive gadgetries ?

cheers,

damo.
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy"
-Guillaume Apollinaire

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: i need a computer and TV technowizard

Unread post by stockhorse » July 1st, 2016, 2:06 pm

If you password protect a file on the hard drive you need a way to input that password and i don't think that is possible via a portable DVD or TV.
Why not just keep the files you want to restrict access to on a usb that should work on a portable DVD or tv.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 1st, 2016, 10:40 pm

All or nothing I am afraid for a plain old drive. The encrypted thumb drives still require to be plugged in to a computer so you can provide a password.

A lot of home WiFi routers support network sharing of portable drives and have variying options for sharing them. For example, split into public (not authenticated) and private shares. Most WiFi routers these days also support a second "guest" WiFi network that can include free access to "non private" media files (our kids WiFi is restricted to such a second network).
http://www.howtogeek.com/243703/how-to- ... art-wi-fi/

(warning, more gadgets) If you do that and have a tablet/smartphone, a Chromecast is neat. We have a drive with movies and can use our phone/tablet as a remote to play them on the TV.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 1st, 2016, 11:44 pm

Sorry didn't make my idea clear enough. put the kids movies on the portable hard drive. store the restricted movies on an unpassword protected thumbdrive and keep the thumbdrive stored separately

solidute
Avid Poster

Unread post by solidute » July 4th, 2016, 4:31 pm

cheers, figured as much but thought that someone might know something
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy"
-Guillaume Apollinaire

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 4th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Stockhorse has the easy answer. With drives as cheap as they are these days, probably the simplest and most foolproof solution.

Jer2000
Been here a while

Unread post by Jer2000 » July 4th, 2016, 11:10 pm

It all depends what operating system you are using.

Windows? Mac? Linux? Android? Something else?

Multiple solutions for all of these.

And as to the drives thing, encrypt it in (say) Linux, you may not be able to read it in another OS (eg mac/iOS), depending upon your usage, which we don't know.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”