warm fronts - meteorology

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

warm fronts - meteorology

Unread post by V Williamson » June 25th, 2016, 12:08 am

Question for the meteorologists amongst us...

Having a look at the weather maps for Australia, I notice that warm fronts facing east to west (opposite the usual cold front) on the lower latitudes of low pressure cells have been marked in. Maybe I wasn't taking enough notice over time, but I have almost never seen warm fronts on Australian weather maps, until somewhat recently, and now it seems they are attached to many low pressure cells.

Is it that I haven't noticed them before, or were they considered to be too weak to include and there has since been a change in policy so they are now shown?

nilla60

Re: warm fronts - meteorology

Unread post by nilla60 » June 26th, 2016, 9:55 pm

That's taken a bit for me to adjust to. Usually the southerly systems and fronts dominate the weather. You get a huge high pressure system sitting on the Australian continent and in winter as it weakens, the southerlys get more of a look in and it generally keeps the tropical weather systems having too much influence down south.

The warm fronts seem to be more a tropical thing and they have been dominating the weather more in the last few years. They seem to channel warm, wet air southwards and as a result bring heavy rain.

My climate text book that I just grabbed off the shelf says warm fronts "are seen infrequently in the Australian region". So maybe it's not just my observation.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » September 29th, 2016, 10:29 pm

The front page of most of today's papers showing the big low hitting SA shows the warm fronts in action. The air has been drawn down & behind the massive low off the coast, veering off west as it gets drawn into the cold winds (and dumping huge amounts of rain into the bargain).

Spent the last few days around the hills on a property in the hills and everywhere is really wet, totally saturated. 99% of the time you can pick where to go, but there are springs popping up everywhere, turning even formed roads into impassable quagmires when you least expect it. Out on the flats and plains in must be even worse. Rainfall is in the top 95% of years here, in other words, 1-100 or 1-50 year territory.

coxsy
Been here a while

Unread post by coxsy » October 2nd, 2016, 5:53 pm

here in New Zealand we are getting the big wet fronts from the cold meets warm your way

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 2nd, 2016, 6:02 pm

Hey coxsy, it's hard to believe that there'd be any rain at all left in those clouds once they leave here; but I have seen the weather reports & spoken to a coupla people your way, so I do know it's really happening!! :eek:

I guess the clouds must be picking up a whole heap more moisture once they leave us spluttering & swimming in their wake!! :boggle:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”