Recommend any small runabouts for my daughter?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Recommend any small runabouts for my daughter?

Unread post by jfoldbar » June 23rd, 2016, 7:11 pm

my 22 y.o. daughter is complaining cause she doesnt have any car to get to tafe so i guess i gotta do something about that. apparently she doesnt like carrying all her art s#@$ on the train
i know the whole thing about dont want to spoil them ect by spoon feeding them. so shes gunna pay whatever she can on her 1 day per week of pay.

so since i have not owned a small car for more than 20 years i wonder what is good and bad these days.
im thinking to spend about $10k which should get her something 1-2 years old.

any experience here on what is good price wise.service and more importantly front end repairs. (i cant talk her into driving the 80)
and what cars are the no-nos.
i saw on the news the small fords have a lot of automatic problems.

who is good for full comp insurance for p-plater.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: small runabout for daughter

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 23rd, 2016, 7:41 pm

Dunno how small but I might be loosing my work car and did shop around a little bit for a small car.
10K buys you a low KM Alto, Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris, Mazda 2 and Hyundai.
The Alto is a great little car. Most likely he cheapest out of this lot but also the one that feels the cheapest.
The Micra is a good car but the looks are a little odd, I did not like the seats.
The Yaris is a great car and a low Km Yaris would be a great car. The Mazda, although popular doesn't do it for me. The Hyundai will be maybe the best buy of the lot. There will be some factory warranty left. Mum has one and she loves her Hyundai. She traded her Barina on this car. She hated the Barina.
Did you know that Kia just launched the Picanto. $15.000 a brand new car with 7 years warranty. We might not know the Picanto here but it's been on the European market for the last 20 years. They are just a great little car with all great reviews.
If you would stick to your 10K I would look at the Hyundai and Toyota.New, I would get a Kia.

I don't like the Honda Jazz and I have heard that some are giving some grief.
I did hire a Volkswagen Polo in Holland a few years back.
I loved it big time but it is an expensive little thing.

But lots of choice out there.

Cheers

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: Recommend any small runabouts for my daughter?

Unread post by stockhorse » June 25th, 2016, 8:44 am

2k will get you a ce lancer in good nick.cheap to run cheap on parts and a good learner/beginner car.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » June 26th, 2016, 5:47 am

I was all set to recommend a boat! Small Runabout!.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 26th, 2016, 10:07 am

Funny you should say that Shann, I just happen to have this bewdiful original condition 1970's vintage Caribean Wildcat with an 80 hp Merc on the back that needs to find a new home, & I got all excited when I saw the thread title too.... but it's the other sort of runabout jfoldbar is after..... :(

As for recommending cars, there should be quite a few 'small' vehicles out there that fit the bill, but if it was for my daughter I'd be looking for something just a little more 'substantial' than the Barina, Micra, Lancer, or Alto sort of 'small' stuff & definitely looking for something with a pretty good safety rating, air bags all round, & ABS, etc... In fact, when it was my youngest daughter who was looking for a 'not another 4WD' type car, cos we live out of the city, she drives a lot in the hills, & she does do some reasonably long trips fairly often too, we ended up settling on a Suzuki Swift cos it was a little bigger & a tad more substantial with a better safety suite than those smaller & cheaper cars. The Swift has a slightly larger engine, wheels, body etc than most of them, so that it isn't always going to be driven or running close to the upper limits of its driveline, but it is still small enough to be quite economical & cheap to run etc. AND even more importantly, it has a good multi air bag set-up with a comprehensive range of other 'keep my daughter safe' equipment fitted standard too!! I reckon a lot of people go the 10+ y/o or so 'small & cheap' route (possibly like the Lancer Stockhorse mentioned?!) without considering that for just a few $$ more they could probably get something that was a bit newer & rated a whole lot better in the safety stakes; & when it comes to my family, that's pretty important to me!! Plus the warranty & service package that came with the Swift was a whole lot better than anything else on offer at the time! :thumb:

So for my 2 bob's worth of recommendation, it might be worth your while to look a little bigger, more substantial, newer, & safer than the sorta 10+ y/o ' small & cheap' cars out there... but more importantly to me, do you know anyone who's looking to buy a 'vintage small runabout' boat?? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 26th, 2016, 8:47 pm

Even a Swift can tow this one....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 26th, 2016, 9:07 pm

That's right Big D, a Swift can tow a Caribean Wildcat, my daughter's has!! :thumb: Trying to vaguely keep the thread on track, here's some info about Swift's that might help the OP's choice - Swifts are surprisingly roomy & have a punchy motor for their size too, so if you need to tow a 6x4 trailer or a small boat/van, they are certainly reasonably capable of doing so - and putting 4 adults in one for a trip between capital cities isn't a torture sentence either!!

Now back to right off topic.... :p My Wildcat still looks pretty much like that one in the advert, only mine's got the bigger motor (80 Hp with power Tilt & Trim vs the 50 Hp man-draulic lift version) & it's even still got the original white 'canvas' canopy in pretty good nick too!! :)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 29th, 2016, 9:35 am

I don't need a boat, don't want a boat, should not..etc etc etc
But I do like old 60's and 70's boats!
But I also think that if you would buy a 60's and 70's boat you need a 60's and 70's car to suit!

Heisenberg
Been here a while

Unread post by Heisenberg » July 15th, 2016, 9:36 pm

The best small runabouts are the little peugeot diesels. Something like this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 6126/?Cr=3

Any one will do - 307 406, 407 - Ive lost track of all the different models. I've owned a few of them, and they are great little cars. Torquey, reliable, miserly on fuel (5-6L/100km) and for some reason I don't understand they are dirt cheap to buy

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 16th, 2016, 8:17 pm

You won't go wrong with a well serviced corolla. Expensive, but great quality.

I picked up my 1997 one a few years ago for $4250 with 54,000km on the clock, owned by an older gentleman.

There's bargains out there if you are prepared to wait!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

MatMC021
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by MatMC021 » October 9th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I'd suggest a second hand Rio. Easy to work on and maintain, 7 year warranty.
2009 S/Cab 4x4 BT50

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 9th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Used French vehicles are cheap because they cost more to fix if they do have issues. That said, Pugs have a vastly better rep than other French makes like say Citroens.

As for boat motors, Mercs were great in their day, but with quiet and reliable Japanese outboards, a 70s Merc is a "black boat anchor".

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2016, 9:11 pm

nilla60 wrote:..... a 70s Merc is a "black boat anchor".
Ain't nothin' 'anchor like' about this 80 HP Merc!! It'll punt the little Wildcat along like a rocket sled on rails!! :eek:

Now if only I could find where I put the keys, I'd put the advert up on Boatsales!! :o

As for jfoldbar's need for a small runabout car, any joy yet?? Have you thought about the pre thru mid 90's vintage 'Fun' cars, like Feroza's, Moke's, or even those little Subaru buzzbox things?? Some of those were pretty good in their day, & if you could track down a well kept/un-molested unit, you could get one cheap & spend some $$ on making it into an attractively quirky car that could be a reliable run-around for your daughter.... Just sayin' ;)

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 10th, 2016, 6:27 am

Oh they go alright. I used to have a 9.8 Merc that was older than me, rough as guts but never died. I also like the "tower of power" 6. But my Yammy is a much nicer motor.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » October 10th, 2016, 4:20 pm

i ended up getting her a 2y.o swift for 10k. 50klms. black too which is what she wanted.
its actually a pretty damn good car and still has 1 yr warranty left. economy is 6l/100klms. quite comfy to drive for a couple of hours. and zippy in the city.cant fault it except for the fact that it will have a bit of trouble in the high country.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”