Check out this free Emergency App for your phone!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
madcow
Been here a while

Check out this free Emergency App for your phone!

Unread post by madcow » May 18th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Guys, I came across this little gem of an app that can be used on any mobile device with a gps. Basically it will give you your location with gps cordinates to give to a 000 Operator if required. Handy either in the scrub or unfamiliar areas.

Well worth a look and it's free, on the app store or Google play

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/emergen ... 14685?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nesn&hl=en

cheers

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Check out this free Emergency App for your phone!

Unread post by Shann Low » May 18th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Sounds like a great idea. To be fair it says in the disclaimer before you download that its only accurate to within 6000 meters (6 kilometers) which is admittedly better than nothing - but MIGHT be a little troubling if your say lost on foot anywhere away from a major road!
Driving 6 Km's up and down a road to find someone stranded versus 28.28 square kilometers to search, if your stumbling around in the bush on foot is a bit of a difference HOWEVER - it would still have to be better than having nothing!.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » May 18th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Its as accurate as your phones GPS is.

the disclaimer is only their because sometimes GPS is really crap.

Its a good app, but in reality any good GPS app will give you a grid reference - which is what 000 wants.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » May 18th, 2016, 11:49 pm

Yeah 6 KM is nuthin' in the big scheme of things. :lol:

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » May 19th, 2016, 11:11 am

Sitting on the lounge in the house, mine is down to 3m, so it isn't that inaccurate.

If the ambo can't see the house from 3m away, then there is a major issue with their personnel recruitment standards.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 21st, 2016, 7:26 am

Rogers Cruiser
Iv had this App on my phone for a few years now and thankfully haven't had to use it. So to clarify Rog, '000' want a grid reference as in UTM or Geo Reference as in Lat/Lon? The App as far as Im aware only shows Geo Lat/Lon and not Grid. :)

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » May 21st, 2016, 2:10 pm

I should of been clear as well.

Different services want different things, but if your out in the bush a grid reference is easier to plot on a map so if for any reason they need to get the paper maps out its going to be faster

And for those that say paper maps are a thing of the past, We have paper maps in all our fire trucks and most rural ambulances.

They are very easy to convert, if you have acomputer or phone in front of you.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 21st, 2016, 5:07 pm

All good.
Thats what the MGS (military grid system) was designed for. Super quick plotting under duress circumstances. Even a simple 4 figured Grid Reference will get people rolling to a 1km sq area. A 10 figured will put you in someones pocket... lol
If I can get my hands on a Topo in time for an area Im going to I'll get it. I have all our favourite camping areas covered with Topo's. GPS and Topo's go together. For us it's TomTom, Magellan XL with Topo's.
Tell me, do you Fireies put clear contact on your maps? Map reading and Navigation was my 'bread and butter' in the Army. We clear contacted all our Topo maps and used Fine Tipped Overhead Projector Pens for all our markings. Easily removed with a little alcohol rub or better still a smidgen of arogard on a soft cloth. The clear contact also protects the map from wet weather. I've still got a topo in the shed with my markings from one of the Kangaroo Exercises. I think it 1983.... omg! lol

Cheers.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » May 21st, 2016, 5:11 pm

No clear contact, we just draw on them if we have to.

a drawn on one can sometimes be better then an original one, old control line can often be useful as new control lines. Old marked water points are another gift on some old maps.

we also have fresh sets in the newer truck so we can always refer to them.

Millions of dollars spent on mapping technology, Im happier with a smart phone (to give me grid) a compass and a 1:25,000 map.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 21st, 2016, 5:21 pm

Christ that was a quick response.... lol
I'm hearing ya! But I'll take a dedicated GPS Like my Magellan Explorist XL over a Smart Phone. Don't get me wrong, they're [smart phones] goodish but I've tested them out to be wrong on several occasions.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”