nets on utes

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: nets on utes

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 16th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Just like everything else you might get stopped for, it largely depends on the cop concerned & how he feels about you & your attitude on the day!! Play the smart arse & you stand a good chance of getting defected for running wheels that aren't the detailed type & at the specified pressure AND booked for having a tissue lying loose on the dash that might impede your vision as well as having an un-secured load; but be polite & listen to what the cop has to say about whatever & take it on board, and you might just get told off about not having a tarp over the trailer load of dry leaves you were taking to the tip!! :thumb:

It's mainly up to you and your attitude, altho if the cop's just come from trying to unsuccessfully resuscitate someone who copped a brick to the face off the back of a dump truck, it's gonna be a whole lot harder to avoid a warning if not a fine for having an unsecured load.... :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » March 17th, 2016, 10:03 am

Cargo net is law in Qld
Only yesterday I got pulled over for having my front ladder bar on my bull bar. The police officer did not see the 6m length of 1/2" copper. So I was not fined, but I asked what the fine is for not having a load on the bar and it's a $200 fine. He then checked out my ute tray, & questioned my small tool box which holds the cargo net not being tied down. That's correct officer it's not tied down because it's bolted to the tray.
He also found a 40mm piece of 1/2" copper in the tray which I missed, handed it to me and said this could be a issue. Luckily it wasn't at this time.
So be very aware around Qld and take note of what's in your tray.
Last edited by gqjay on March 18th, 2016, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » March 17th, 2016, 5:02 pm

gqjay.
so did you actually get fined for something or not? if so, what was you fined for
so do i understand this correctly. you can only have a front ladder bar on your bull bar if you have a long load on. and 1 copper pipe constitutes a load? even though the only thing that holds a ladder bar in place is gravity.

peter.
i was expecting that this is all it could boil down to. none really knows for sure, there is no black and white and it just depends on the cops decision at the time. i reckon like a lot of things, its a numbers game and if a cop wants to get his quota in he will just get anyone for anything

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » March 18th, 2016, 8:37 am

Sorry mate, I was not fined. I just edited my post.
And yes if you have a front ladder bar on the Bullbar and it has no load. It's illegal and a $200 fine in Qld. I had a 6m length of copper and officer did not see it until he got to my vehicle. He was originally pulling me over for having the front ladder bar on with no load.
Also my ladder bar is removable and it is secured by bolts which are tightened when I slide the ladder bar In place.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » March 18th, 2016, 6:08 pm

A lot of this gets down to two remarkably simple questions to the cop.

1. Has it fallen off?

2. Is it likely to move or fall off?

From that point on you ignore rated load gear, rolling over, nets, tarps, straps etc.

Half a ton of sand on your ute tray wet down with a good amount of water. Is it actually blowing off, is it likely to? If not, it's suitably restrained.

A car on a trailer held in place by string. It hasn't moved yet but.... you know.

It's a bit of a red herring about what happens in a roll over, look at a load on a float, dozed, crane etc .Is it going to be suitably restrained? Yes, move in a roll over, yep. Same with wet sand, course blue metal in a tipper or wood chip covered in shade cloth .

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » March 19th, 2016, 5:25 am

jfoldbar wrote:
GBC wrote: "if you flip the car upside down and shake it, anything which falls out you will be fined for" end of story..
but here in is the part i dont get.
a lot of the stuff that people put the nets over, if the ute is turn upside down and shaken, the net will not hold it.
just like the bogey tipper with a tarp. if that truck was turned over, the tarp will not stop whatever flying out.
a 10 ton excavator only needs a strap over it to be legally secured, but that truck flips over the strap aint gunna stop it flying out.

i get the whole idea of light stuff like buckets of tools or shoes or small stuff being netted. but at some point something becomes too heavy for a net to do anything if the ute flips over. does anyone know what that some point is, or even if there is one in the eyes of the law?
or is it just one of those things that depends on the cop discretion and u just gotta hope that you get a cop that has some practical knowledge with holding loads.
From the NTC. A properly restrained piece of machinery in a tipper will not move even at full tip......there's goes the single strap theory.
Also, proper ute nets have gauze as well as webbing so yes, they will stop everything.
Read the NTC attached on page one and you'll be left with no doubt as to when a net will not suffice anymore, and just how well you need to tie down a 10 tonne excavator. No discretion required. They cover it off very well.
You'd better read from page 152 about transporting tracked machinery because there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell a single strap would be legal to restrain a dingo much less a 10t excavator which needs sideways restraint in all 4 directions PRIOR to tying it down - 6 chains - minimum if you don't have anything to drive the blade against.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » March 20th, 2016, 3:15 pm

i think ive seen that thing from ntc before. but still a good read again. though since its from '04 i reckon there seems to be some things that are not covered in it.

it says a few times that for small things, or even large lumps of concrete or rock, high sides are sufficient to hold a load. that contradicts with the fact people are fined for high sides alone holding a load.

quote".A properly restrained piece of machinery in a tipper will not move even at full tip......there's goes the single strap theory. "

yes this is true for flat top trucks, but i couldnt find any reference to trucks with high sides.
the 2 guys i know who contract to the rta both say that if a truck has a high side, a strap is ok. since they actually work for the guys making the rules and they wouldnt have a job if they didnt know the rules then i would assume they know.

quote"proper ute nets have gauze as well as webbing so yes, they will stop everything"

i have yet to see a ute with a net capable of stopping everything. they may exist though.

foogill
quote"A lot of this gets down to two remarkably simple questions to the cop.

1. Has it fallen off?

2. Is it likely to move or fall off?quote"

id be a bit nervous of the concept of 'has it fallen off?"
because every truckies load that ever fell of a truck somewhere the truckie coulda said that 2 seconds before.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”