Grunting in tennis

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Grunting in tennis

Unread post by V Williamson » January 27th, 2016, 7:16 am

Are others ticked off by the tennis on tv with the number of players, both male and female, who have to let out a grunt every time they go to hit a ball? It sounds like a lowlife tactic to try and put the opponent off. Is that what it is? I am sure it has been complained about on court. What an unsportsmanlike turn off. :mad:

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: Grunting in tennis

Unread post by the-viking » January 27th, 2016, 2:15 pm

I'm with you on this. I don't mind the serve grunt but it's got out of hand imo when it's all the way through a match. It's tennis's version of soccer's ridiculous fake fall. What an embarrassment for a sport that is. (Cant believe its actually aloud) and NRL's stupid scrums. lol.

Grrrrrr. :irked:

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » January 27th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Probably sponsored by the tennis betting agency's bet on how many grunts each player utters or something! :lol:

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » January 27th, 2016, 4:10 pm

is it something to do with getting a bit more power, like martial arts? not that I actually watch tennis, too busy doing other things

Heisenberg
Been here a while

Unread post by Heisenberg » January 27th, 2016, 8:39 pm

I once heard a tennis commentator say that he considered it cheating;- as it masks the sound of the ball off the racket, and if you've miss-hit it, then that sound is the first indication that the opponent may get....

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » January 28th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Blimey!!! Imagine all these new young tennis players of today being told they're not allowed to grunt aloud anymore!!! lol I wonder how many rackets they'd break spitting the dummy getting the news? lol :lol:

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » January 28th, 2016, 10:06 pm

I always thought you used your hand to grab hold of the racquet and arm to provide the power to hit the ball, not your bloody throat/voice box! I won't watch the tennis if grunters are on, in the rare event i do watch it at all...

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » January 28th, 2016, 10:08 pm

And there are too many players like Betchanotgettinova and bowlamaidenova for me to tell the difference!

Heisenberg
Been here a while

Unread post by Heisenberg » January 31st, 2016, 10:33 pm

Yeah I've always wondered why Billy Birmingham didn't do tennis player names in one of his segments

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”