Anyone know anything about small lawnmower engines?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Anyone know anything about small lawnmower engines?

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 30th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Hi all

I have an old victor ride on Its 4stroke and 10HP.

The carb is totally wrecked but the engine is running really well on straight aerostart.
Is it possible to buy a cheap ebay universal carburetor that will let the engine run?
I know I will have to adapt a flange, and sort out an air filter, Is there anything else I will have to do?

What about this carb?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231588217453 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I seriously know very little about carbs, and carb engines so any help/opinions appreciated. :redface:
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Anyone know anything about small lawnmower engines?

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 30th, 2015, 11:49 pm

I should add that I cant get an original replacement carb its an older rarer model.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » December 31st, 2015, 12:41 am

I'd be really surprised if you couldn't still get a carby for that motor!.
Is it a briggs and stratton 10HP motor?
Somewhere like Bills Machinery would almost guaranteed have one!.
http://www.bmms.com.au/

I once did something stupid and used compressed air to "blow out" a carby on my old WW2 Grey Fergie TEA 20 tractor & collapsed the brass fuel float with the pressure so that it no longer floated!
That pretty much meant "tractor destroyed".

Rang Bills Machinery & he said - take it off the tractor - bring it up here and we will try and match it!.
So I did.

Took an hour or so walking up and down the isles of his wrecked stationary motors - but we found a matching carby off a old stationary engine identical to the original 0ne that I screwed up!.

Saved!

While I was busy paying for it - someone came in looking for the EXACT same thing - his tractor was screwed too and he needed a carby part! We knew I had just found the last one in stock... and was about to walk out with it.. but luckily for him - he needed a different part of the carby - to what I needed, so since I still had my screwed carby - I just took out the float I needed to make mine work again & sold him the balance of it that he needed to fix his tractor!.

So 2 tractors saved with one carby of an old stationary motor!.

The thing is you have to have to time to search!

Or

You put up a wanted post with a photo of the carby on Gumtree - or try small engine shops for a replacement carby...out of the stockpile of scrapped engine parts.

It's always easier if you can just bolt a replacement OEM / rebuilt carby back on an engine than try and adapt one to fit and have to guess at air fuel ratios and jet sizes etc and make up inlet manifolds and accelerator / choke mechanisms that will work reliably.

Depends on your abilities I guess... and resources - if your an engineer, who can design a new manifold adapter, on Cad Cam & 3D print it in lost wax - then make a lost wax mold from plaster of paris and melt out the 3D wax and pour molten aluminium into the m0old to cast your own inlet manifold adapter... then probably anythings possible - BUT if you have to PAY someone to do all that then likely it will cost more than a new ride on Mower (out of China).

Or some guys this would be a walk in the park and for others it might not be worth the time or effort.

If it is a briggs and stratton engine you SHOULD be able to buy a replacement carby thru your local mower center OR get them to rebuild it for you and just re fit it yourself.

If its a chinese zongfu / whoflungdung or something engine then likely your better off binning it.

I forget what engines the old Victor mowers used... My old Victor was over 40 years old when it eventually quit, the head gasket was gone, so I made a new one out of wheeties packet cardboard, and it went for another decade or so. :lol:

Good luck with it however it works out for you.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 31st, 2015, 11:47 am

Thanks for that reply, but I cant get a replacement they are a single piece manifold-carb (very very old) and the manifold is not removable.

As for a manifold adaptor being that difficult its a 1hr plasma / welding job, its a mower not a performance car.

So the origional question is "Will another carb work on this engine? and what should I be looking for in a usable carb? "

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 31st, 2015, 12:00 pm

Rogerb,

Realistically if you could find any carb that physically fits the unit or can be modified to adapt easily then either by rejetting or manipulating the air/fuel mixture through the venturi it should be fairly simple to get it to run throughout its performance range and idle at a reasonable rpm. I think the hardest bit will be to find a unit that actually fits or can be adapted to suit your purpose

Cheers

You could try Keilor Mower , in Keilor Village, he has been aroun for years and tends to know his stuff.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » December 31st, 2015, 5:59 pm

I cant get a replacement they are a single piece manifold-carb (very very old) and the manifold is not removable.
Pictures worth 1000 words.
You never know who might have one laying around or know someone who has!.
Without details (pics) probably no one could help!.
No reason you can't adapt, something else to work!.
You could probably swap the entire engine maybe? There's a zillion knock off copy engines out of China these days that are probably made with the old Victa or Briggs and Stratton tooling even!.
Good luck with it!.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » January 1st, 2016, 8:11 pm

How's the carbie wrecked? Is it worth asking an (old school) carbie place to have a look? We also have a great mower and saw shop where an old guy has parts for all sorts old motors and loves helping revive them. Also look at US websites as old B&S motors have reasonably big following.

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » January 23rd, 2016, 11:09 pm

Mate,

One of my other hobbies is restoring and collecting vintage mowers. I don't do ride on's as I don't have room BUT The engine you refer to is a very common one in that era. I can guarantee there are carbies around (Not new but good used ones).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1970-10-Hp-B ... SwaA5Wkow8

It is INCREDIBLY rare for one of those carbies to be past repairing. eBay will have plenty of rebuild kits. Try Michael at Northside lawnmower spares

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/northside-la ... 7675.l2559

He is based in Gawler in SA but posts anywhere. He WILL be able to get a rebuild kit for you MUCH cheaper than having to work out a new carby. He also lives on an acreage and has a few older ride-ons lying around the back.

Also worthwhile looking on Gumtree for blokes that are selling lots of lawnmowers. They like me probably have dozens of different engines in their garage.

Checkout outdoorking.com.au for parts too. If you post a thread asking for a carby there are HEAPS of guys on there that will be able to help you.

If you post a picture of the carby and jets I will be able to tell you if it's fixable or not. The ONLY carbies I have not been able to fix with a quick rebuild are the new Chinese Honda style ones or "Chonda's".

Good Luck!
Pete.

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » January 23rd, 2016, 11:14 pm

Also just checked out that add you posted the link to for the carb on eBay. That is a Quantum carb for a maximum 5HP engine. It will not have large enough jets to run your engine. If you use that carby and make a new intake it will run very lean and be seriously down on power if it runs at all.

Always best to stay original. If you really don't want to rebuild the carb or replace it with a used one then it'll be easier to replace the whole engine than try to make something else work.

Usually with the carby on these engines it is a blockage in the main jet or the emulsifier tube. Quick clean with carby cleaner and a piece of wire, blow out with compressed air and voila!

Let us know how you get on.

Pete

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » January 24th, 2016, 7:57 am

Rogers Cruiser.. I may be wrong, but when you say VICTOR, I guess you mean VICTA ?? If thats the case, then when I was a kid just out of school, I worked for a place that sold those early Victa's .. They were actually a Villiers engine.. As I recall, the carb you have should have a little brass button to push down the float?? If so, then the Villiers engine was used as a stationary engine for lots of things, and was the engine fitted to the Seagull outboard engines.. Just a bit of info that might help..
Puff

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » January 24th, 2016, 8:32 am

I have one of those seagull outboards, they are 2 stroke, and I doubt it puts out 10P !!! maybe 2 0r 3 at best, so I would think the carb would be too small for Rogers application.. He would be better trying a small motorcycle carb. A Honda 90 is about 8-9 HP so you might be able to adapt something like that.

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » January 24th, 2016, 10:45 am

Brisbane Puff wrote: They were actually a Villiers engine.. As I recall, the carb you have should have a little brass button to push down the float?? If so, then the Villiers engine was used as a stationary engine for lots of things, and was the engine fitted to the Seagull outboard engines...
Hi,

The Villiers engine you talk about was never fitted to a ride on. There were a handful of Victa rotaries that had villiers engines.

Early 1950's Victa's used the villiers midget but quickly after that Victa started using Kirby 2 and 4 stroke then begun production of their own engines. from then on they used a mix of pretty much every engine. Also the Seagull is water cooled so whilst it shares similarities with the stationary engines it is fundamentally different.

The Seagull came as 2-3 HP and 4-5HP (They were never labelled as any particular rating. Always 2-3 or 4-5). They are a BRILLIANT little engine - I use a '58 40+ 2-3HP as an auxillary on my runabout.

Pete

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » January 24th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Yep... my mistake.. read everything and then just remembered 'Victor' .. Forgot about the ride on thingy bit.. Only excuse is a brain freeze.... Sorry... I'll go away now.. :redface:
Puff

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » January 24th, 2016, 8:12 pm

Yeah, 9 out of 10 mowers I have attended to have come good after stripping and cleaning the carbie. Spraying stuff down the throat is a waste of time, you have to get into all the nooks and crannies and blow if clean with compressed air if you can.

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » January 24th, 2016, 9:19 pm

^^^^

A few years ago I picked up a couple of cheap mowers, got them running, serviced them, cleaned them and sold them for a tidy profit. This started a very busy time for me.

Summer is hard to sell mowers but Spring is BOOM time. I had an add on gumtree advertising mower repairs. I would (No exaggeration) make $600-$1000 on the weekend just doing minor repairs (And my prices were CHEAP - $30 a carby clean, $40 full service 4 stroke, $30 full service 2 stroke etc etc). Without a word of a lie 80% of the jobs are carby cleans.

At any one time I would have anywhere from 1-10 mowers for sale - all serviced with warranty. Never had one come back yet. If you're patient you can regularly pick up decent 2 stroke Victas for free or VERY cheap, get them going in a couple of hours and sell for $130 in a day. This is how I have funded most of my vintage restorations.

A bit off topic I know but hey.

Pete

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”