I gonna lose some KG's in 2016 and what are you doing?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Foo
Need to get out more

Re: I gonna lose some KG's in 2016 and what are you doing?

Unread post by Foo » January 6th, 2016, 9:56 am

For those of you that like to cycle. When you go for a ride, spin don't grind as spinning gets your heart rate up and makes you burn off calories. ;) It also gets your cardiovascular system working much better and is easy on your joints. :thumb:

Foo

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 6th, 2016, 9:01 pm

edz wrote:This is working for a couple of blokes at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtaLLjJzn4,
edz, interesting, I did this today after watching the vid.
It's actually easier than I thought.

Found an app for the iPhone, totally free and no ads, not sure if on android, but worth a look.
It's called Australian Calorie Counter, pretty easy to use and keep track of this.
You can actually scan bar codes in from Aussie supermarket products, many are standard, of about 10 or 12 things I put in today, all but 2 were there and I entered them manually no probs.
This has all the info you need, you just tell it the portions you are having and it does all the workings / tally.

So I set a fairly low daily calorie intake of 2500 cals (10500 kjs).
Today I managed just fine on 715 cals (2994 kjs).

I have switched to kilojoules now though as almost all labelling etc is in this format.

Am feeling slightly more confident about being able to do this, not a big gym person, do bushwalk weekly, and walk the dog every day at least twice, often 4 times.
Have a push bike, reasonable hybrid type, so must get on it and ride to the workshop when I don't need to car for transport of goods etc.
It takes me 15 - 20 mins each way to the workshop driving, by bike it takes me about 40 mins each way and there's a few moderate hills in there.

It's really hard to stay on this sort of thing, but I personally feel the time's right to make a change.
Maybe with forum support and seeing how others are going, it will make a difference and people will keep at it.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » January 6th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Good on you Les, mate what ever is comfortable and doable for you.. If its a chore to keep at it your more likely to give it up .
Ive slammed 5 kgs back on over the christmas break by having a break from normal routine, more x beers , softies and food than normal with extended family visitors etc.
Holidays are over and friday its back to work for me and return to a normal routine, So I know that in a week I'll be back down to pre Christmas hols weights again or less if I choose too .
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 8th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Hello, so back from a great little road trip.
Time to start with loosing some weight.
I am 185 CM (might have shrunk a little) and weigh about 117KG
I have lost about 3KG in the Holidays. I always do.

I have not eaten 1 cookie yet, but did have one coke today.
I also had a great salad today and had only light meals for the last few days.
I am going Jan 18 back to work. Our life will be a bit more structured and getting really in to it
will be a little easier.

Cheers

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 9th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Good on ya mate.
If you have an i device, get that app mentioned above, it's a bottler !!

I was 104 Tues night, last night 99.7, just now (noon after a bit of lunch) 101.3
Doing an adaption of that 5 2 diet in that video above (edz post) I am feeling fine doing that sort of intake as a much reduced amount of kilojoules each day.
Set target of 10500kj a day, but so far my avg intake each day is 3049kj (728 cal), 4 days.

The app seems to keep you focused and you sure learn what the foods you eat have in them.

Think I'll post up my results weekly, and hopefully hit the target 90kg whenever, then work out if I want to go to 85 or happy.

Coke.
A std 375ml can contains 9-1/3 teaspoons of sugar.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 9th, 2016, 8:13 pm

yeah, yeah, alright, so maybe I could drop a kg or 2.

At 62 and 135 (guess which is age and which is weight) The biggest problem I face is lack of mobility, exercise is out, even a 10 minute walk sees me reaching for the pain killers. So my question is, will just a reduction of calorific intake be enough?I do like my meat and 3 veg but also eat chicken or fish and salad 3-4 times a week. The size of the serving could easily be reduced with very little effort. should I start at that and go from there or are there other things I could do to help the weight loss?

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 9th, 2016, 9:14 pm

I think 62 KG is not much for a man of your age.....

RODEODAVE
Been here a while

Unread post by RODEODAVE » January 9th, 2016, 10:27 pm

stockhorse can you get a pool?? a couple of years ago i broke my leg quite bad and used to walk in a pool at chest height ,you are at about 40% of you body weight at chest height and it is actually quite hard work but a hell of a lot less pressure on the joints , you could even try swimming laps with a kick board also a good workout again no pressure on the joint....
come to think of it I need to heed my own advice and loose a k or 5

Dave

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 10th, 2016, 11:50 am

To answer straight up stockhorse, yeah, if you still did the same daily routine, but ate less kilojoules / calories, watch sugar and fat in foods, you would lose weight I'm sure.

Rodeodave's on the money with his advice, pools are great for this sort of low impact stuff, resistance training more or less.
I'd try the 5-2 diet as posted in the video link by edz, get a good app to plan calorie intake (if you have an iphone, the one I posted above somewhere is great !), eat healthy and hit the pool . . . hopefully you have one available to use in town or private one.

Roll on next Wednesday, we can make it report in day, post previous weeks weight, and current weight.
Weigh in same time each day, and lose the clothes, just my light PJ pants add 100grams !!
Just be consistent, and don't stop, some weeks you may add a kg or two, especially if excercising, you are probably adding / building muscle, but still burning fat.
Adding the muscle, you will then burn more fat and faster, so win win.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » January 10th, 2016, 12:28 pm

The 5-2 is not the be all and end all.

And it has some potential dangers if you are taking medication, so before you jump into that one clear it with your doctor or pharmacist. - Eating low calories can effect how certain drugs are metabolised and they can then have either lower or greater effect on the body.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

bigtom
Here and there

Unread post by bigtom » January 10th, 2016, 9:15 pm

I'm on holidays for another 2 weeks. (poor me). I'll keep recording the calorie intake with the "my fitness pal" app, but have to wait til I get back to work to use a scale that's able to weigh me.

Keep up the good work guys.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 13th, 2016, 7:19 am

Les - PK Ranger wrote:..

53yrs, 177, 103

Target 35, 187, 90 :D

Ok, realistic target 54, 177, 90
So full first week, managed to get through ok with the app helping with discovering all the hidden cals, bad fats, and sugars in various foods I normally love :/

I planned a max of the recommended 2500 cals a day to lose weight, based on a normal health working males needs of about 3000 cals.
Using a bit of an adaption of the 5:2 diet (I sort of lost that a bit along the week) I just aimed to cut energy intake to a level I felt able to cope ok, so out of 12500 cals for the week, I ended up having ~ 5563 or 44.5% of that max target.

Still 53 and 177 tall, but now 100.2 . . . that was last night on the scales after a shower, this morning it is 98.6, so time you weight up is probably best kept consistent.

bigtom
Here and there

Unread post by bigtom » January 13th, 2016, 7:51 am

Great work Les.

I'm struggling a bit with giving up Pepsi Max (approx 2L per day). I think it's the combination of the chemical and caffeine withdrawl. I'm just hoping that if it makes me feel this bad now, it has to be good in the long run.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 13th, 2016, 8:48 am

Gotta be hard mate if you've been having a couple of lts a day, even though it's 'sugar free' it is probably still very bad for the health.
Those artificial sweeteners and all.
Keep thinking of family and friends, and how much longer you will be around withe them, and how much more you will enjoy life with them at a healthier weight / condition.
Hope things pick up for you and you stay off the worst stuff, keep on eye on progress and post it up to keep on track.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » January 13th, 2016, 9:12 pm

this thread could also be a big help to your weight loss. Make this thread your diary to keep everyone here updated and make it your goal from a year from no you can post a thread saying your 99Kegs

Weight loss is simple but mentally the hardest thing you can do.
There is no fad diet out there that will help you drop weight the best, its simple you are what you eat and drink.
Dont punsish yourself as well, but if you can give your body a break from beer and soda drinks for bit. You will find the weight drop quicker.
Red wine and white spirits and soda water if you want to treat yourself.
Exercise in the morning on empty stomach for about 20 min and get your heart rate going. that along with a good breaky is great start to the day.
Nuts, they will be your best friend. find yourself a good mix nut combo and keep it your car or desk at work.
eating healthy is stupidly expensive, anything good for you is not cheap. $4 a 600ml Coke and the same for a cold bottle of water.Its just so wrong,
Sports drinks,keep away unless your athlete that will burn all the sugar in those drinks.

once you get it down pat you will kill it. good luck, been there and done it a number of times as I fluctuate between on and off seasons of Rugby.
Your biggest challenge will come when you get to your goal weight and then have to keep it off and maintain your weight.

look forward in reading your post in a years time that you hit your goal of breaking the 100kg club.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”