I gonna lose some KG's in 2016 and what are you doing?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

I gonna lose some KG's in 2016 and what are you doing?

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 21st, 2015, 7:21 am

I am not one that likes new years resolutions but next year I am going to lose everything north of 100Kg's
My goal is 99 KG.

I was out with my cousins and went to one of these Aqua activity parks. Like Wipe out etc. I just could not keep up with them.
Okay I am nearly 50 but I should be much fitter and less fat.
I don't want to run 275 KM's in 6 hours flat but man, I should be able to keep up with a bunch of 30 year old accountants...

So, in 2016 no Coke or Pepsi's any more. No Hungry Macca's anymore. I am going to be a little bit more active.
However I ride my MTB for about 2 hours twice a week. Swim almost daily and I am always doing something with the kids at school.

I just don't want to drop of my perch because of doing nothing with my lazy fat arse and munching all day like a grazing cow.

So, wadda yous gonna do?

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: I gonna lose some KG's in 2016 and what are you doing?

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 21st, 2015, 8:21 am

Dutchy ,

Are you 5'6" or 6'5" .....makes a difference.

I was in the same boat mid last year, 6 foot, ( 182 cm for you metrificated mob) 115kg+ , 55+ ,ex smoker, (swam occasionally,walked a bit ) and eat way too much.

I don't drink soft drink , never have really and am not a fast foodie, BUT i love food, I cook ( pretty damn well according to a number of people) and I love eating great food. And I love eating great food which i have prepared - its a self feeding process , love food, makes me feel good doing it....then eating it

my problem was/is portion control,that second helping.....and another problem, in particular, that nibble of those tasty leftovers :o

That and cutting out other sugar ............... so no bread or a heap of other processed food with ridiculous amounts of sugar used to replace the fats that have the taste that were so so bad for us 10 -20 years ago ( you can't win.)

"Can't have lollies gotta throw em in the bin " :lol:

Am I the svelte 85 kg of yesteryear .......Nope, im a comfortable 99-100kgs and slowly , slowly dropping ............ now all i gotta do is get a smaller plate ( again) and stop making that extra helping................and eating it . :eek:

Ain't always easy to remember, but I'm slowly getting there. And I'm comfortable that iis taking a bit of time,
Gotta change some long term habits so its Lots of water, fruit , moderate exercise and that smaller plate :)

Best wishes in your goal :thumb:

PS - And wine and beer is still included , in moderation also. Cant not have wine or beer........... weight lose is great, martyrdom for the cause isn't !!!
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » December 21st, 2015, 8:52 am

Good on ya Dutchy, a good move for you and the family !!
I too put on the kg after I left full time physical work when near 30 (2 decades ago !).
Used to be a comfy 80kg or so.
Now 102kg, but fluctuate just a little too.

My frame is quite large (must have big bones too :D) and feel 80 - 85 would be good.

I am pretty fit though, bushwalker, can throw a 15kg pack on and do long treks of many weeks without an issue, usually come home from those and have dropped upwards of 10kg !
Hmm, maybe I should do that more often, like 6 times a year :)
That 15 - 20kg drop in weight would see a virtual trade off of my normal sort of pack weight on bushwalks, which would be nice.

I too have been finding out lots about all the crap we eat in this modern era of fast / convenient.
Love FUIC iced coffee, and Dare is pretty good too.
The Dare 500ml Iced coffee has 45gms of sugar, you know that is over 11 teaspoons of sugar !!!!

I've already started with changing my habits, learning more about the processed foods.
It really appears a sugars are a killer in more ways than one, cancer is attracted to sugars, they thrive on it !

Also red meat = very bad :(
Ah well, in moderation, small portions of lean veal etc, and eat more fish / skinless chicken.

Cancers survive in an acidic body, can't live in alkaline environment, and they are foods you can eat to help make your body alkaline.
My brother uses pool test strips, a bit of spit, most people bring up an acidic result.

The key is you have to WANT it mate, really want it.
Then it's simply mind over matter, eat better, exercise more (just being more active is all most need to do), and it will happen slowly, the best way to do it and keep it going.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » December 21st, 2015, 3:54 pm

I used mind over matter. If I don't mind - it doesn't matter!. :lol:

Bread - well wheat flour more importantly.

2 slices of white toast will raise your blood sugar, to twice the levels of 3 of those small snickers bars!

Then your pancreas spits out a massive dose of insulin... and from years of doing that, you develop insulin resistance - called type 2 diabetes! After that the weights near impossible to shift.

Wheat's not what it used to be!. People say you have a beer gut - but I don't drink beer - the fact is its "wheat belly".

Dr William Davis is a cardiologist who has written the number 1 best seller book Wheat Belly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSDkJEF9aBY "Wheat, the unhealthy whole grain" Pt 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmsxCN7htHM "Wheat, the unhealthy whole grain" Pt 2

You can still eat breads / flour - BUT if you can use non whole grain wheat (i.e. alternate grains, e.g. spelt, millet, etc) to grind your own fresh whole grain flour & use a bread maker to bake your own non wheat breads etc - then the weigh belly should just fade away with a little normal exercise.

Wheat is "genetically modified".

The BIG change came in 1962 with modified genes from cross / line breeding and chemical mutation in Canada to dwarf wheat varieties with short stout stems and seed heads up to 10 times longer.... so less growth into stem / stalk material and more growth into the seed heads, these dwarf variety's yield 10X more than prior variety's.

Original wheat grains in Persia had 14 chromosomes. Somewhere along the line it hybridized with a form of goat weed to have 28 chromosomes & since the 1962 Dwarf Wheat Varietys - it now has 42 Chromosomes!.

Our intestines are very good at deciding what passes thru the gut as fiber and what gets absorbed and passed thru the gut lining and into our blood processed from carbohydrates into blood sugars (Glucose)

The PROBLEM with genetically modified wheat is that some parts of the grain that never used to get past the gut lining now do so (anilines? Can't remember now watch the vids).

What these do apart from crossing the gut / blood barrier - they get carried in the blood and cross into the blood brain barrier. In the brain they combine with / attach to the same receptors n the brain that opiates attach too!.

So they create a state of euphoria, this is why eating bread is so "satiating' - huge elevations ion blood glucose (thus massive insulin spikes which slowly kill your pancreas) and also give your brain a euphoria reaction...

Add fat and sugar to pastry & pasta flours etc and is it any wonder people love to binge on baked goods & over indulge and lay down visceral fat around the stomach!.

Its possible to cut out wheat flour in your diet however just about all processed foods (convenience / pre - -prepared meals from the super market) have white wheat flour in them.

http://allaboutbread.com.au/

It's possible to buy non wheat flours from places like this one above and just bake your own non wheat flour breads etc if your serious about losing the wheat belly.

Or you can buy the seeds etc from health food shops and grind you own non wheat flours.

http://www.wondermill.com.au/

A LOT of the alternate grains do NOT have gluten in them (People are self diagnosing "gluten intolerance" - but really its GMO wheat intolerance!).

It's not EASY to bake non wheat whole grain flour breads without gluten (i.e. spelt millet etc) - because its the glutens in wheat flour that trap the air bubbles from the yeast to make it "rise" while the dough is 'proving'.

It can be done - you just have to do some homework on the recipes to make your bread maker cope with non gluten flour / dough.

There's a lot too it when you start to delve right into it.

But

If you don't mind it don't matter.

Lotta wheat & malting barely etc used in beer so the term beer belly is also apt... but its the same root cause - cutting out beer isn't much use if you eat wheat flour breads pastas etc!

You really need to do both or non if that makes sense.

Personally i don't want to get below 100 kilos - I get tired running round in the shower to get wet! ;) :D

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » December 21st, 2015, 6:07 pm

It is worth looking at food alternatives and find something that works for you. I like 100% rye bread, it's good for you and unlike white bread a small piece will fill you up. Tried a bunch of breakfast options but found that cereals usually had me hungry again by the time I got to work, I've found oats with a little honey to be quick, tasty and filling.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » December 21st, 2015, 10:22 pm

Back in Feb of this year I had a workplace injury requiring surgery, the doc wanted me to loose some weight with Optifast supplements, I threw that idear out the door and looked at the calories of the optifast meals / then looked up the calories of the types of food I would normaly eat and set out meal plans that came in at roughly 800 calories per day as per the optifast would have been .. Cut out virtualy all soft drinks etc.. Drank aprox 4ltrs of water a day
Dropped from 132Kg to 119 Kg in just on 3.5 weeks before the surgery .. Allowed myself one alloted treat day for a couple of mid strength beers or soft drink, junk etc .. >>> fast forwards 10 months and Im back on normal meals [ small portions ] a few beers and softies and holding a steady 122Kg Which for my 6'4" and big build I'm comfortable with .
Everthing in moderation and portion size with a bit of exercise and you should strip the weight off at a reasonable rate to a level your comfortable with ...
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » December 25th, 2015, 12:54 pm

If you want a tip don't try and hammer it too hard at the start. Whether
it's exercise or food if you try and get too complicated it can scare you
off pretty quick. Complicated meals, running too hard, lifting too much.

Easy to get hurt and give up or not be bothered cooking a ridiculous diet.

Buy a nutri bullet. easy way to start. Buy stuff,chop it up, throw it in with some water and ice
and drink it. Easy to do, easy to clean.

walking or bike riding (not hardcore) can help get you going, and riding a bike is
pretty fun.

Fried egg (tiny bit olive oil in the pan)
Some flash bread (whatever you want)
Tiny bit of cheese ( I used vintage cheddar with black pepper in it, don't need much at all)
avocado
hot English mustard
spinach leaves

^ I lived off this combination for a while/variations of, and felt great.
You can put some vegemite/marmite in too if you want. Tastes wicked
and isn't half bad for you.

You don't need to eat rabbit food and hammer yourself to feel and get healthy.
Unless you want ripped abs of course.lol.

Ive got some killer nutribullet recipes too.

That one in the pic was banana and cucumber with ice and a bit of spinach.
Just tasted like a banana smoothie. :D

I'm no expert an anything but I have trouble getting motivated, and this was
the way I did it and it worked. No gimmicks or nonsense I just made it up
as I went.

The nutri bullet/magic bullet thing is pretty awesome, can use it for heaps of stuff.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 27th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement guys. I am definitely not the only one doing this I understand.
I will be starting with leaving all Cola's and the likes out. Same as all take away, cookies and others.
Will see how I go with that. I am sure that this will make a big change as I luv my take away/junk food and drinks.

Thanks

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 27th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Im also going to try to loose a few Kgs after the new year.

I sound a little heavier then most of you at 136kgs and 6ft - trying to get down to 95-100kgs.

I think Im going to try eating a solid breakfast and lunch to avoid eating fast food after work.

Also riding 5-6kms twice a day + a few trips to the gym for weights each week.

If people are keen, this would be a good place to keep track of how much people are loosing?
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 28th, 2015, 7:00 am

Good Idea mate. I'll keep you informed how I go.

Cheers

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » December 28th, 2015, 3:19 pm

I lost a bit of weight over the last year, cholesterol is down as well.

No soft drink/fruit juice or iced coffee-they are just calories & go directly on the belly.

Got a smaller plate. After a very short period of time (days) it gets really hard to eat a lot. Cut out the snacks.

Did a moderate amount of exercise, not a lot. Walk the dog a bit, float around in the pool, walk to the shop.

Didn't set huge goals, like my food & beer & I'm not into the gym and stuff. Stayed off the scales & didn't obsess.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » December 28th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Oh, my boss has lost 79kg this year, how cool's that.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » December 29th, 2015, 9:49 pm

This is working for a couple of blokes at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtaLLjJzn4,
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

bigtom
Here and there

Unread post by bigtom » January 5th, 2016, 10:24 am

Hey there Dutchy, yeah mate I'm going to join you. 43yrs, 187cm 165kg. It would be nice to still be around when the kids finish school. I have no grand plan, I just figure eating less and moving more is a good start.

I wish you all the best.
Tom

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 5th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Ok, let's get it out there !!

53yrs, 177, 103

Target 35, 187, 90 :D

Ok, realistic target 54, 177, 90

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”