pranks on apprentices - here's a good one!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

pranks on apprentices - here's a good one!

Unread post by V Williamson » December 2nd, 2015, 7:19 am

I heard a story the other day which is just too good to not share around. Just bear in mind that I know very little about colliery workings and that a 2nd hand story does lose a bit.

Anyway, apprentices at this NSW South Coast colliery were told and geed up about the ghost of a Scotsman down the bottom of the pit. Oh and they might even get to meet him. As it turned out there was a Scot there who worked nightshifts.

The job involving the apprentice would be down at the pumps, so pretty well the deepest part of the mine. The only illumination in those days was the miners cap lamp, so there it was obvious that there was no one else around. Near the pumps was a drain pipe, say a 100mm dia. poly pipe. Being a drain, it was mostly empty and had an open end.

The Scot who worked nightshift knew the name of the apprentice down at the pump, (say it was Damien) and at the appropriate time, he would get on the other end of the drain pipe.

"ohhh Damien.... watcha doin' down mah mine lad..???"

The voice would carry through the pipe and with all quiet working on the pumps, the apprentice would here this voice apparently from nowhere.

I would have to leave it to your imagination but poor old Damien was off and out of there FAST. And apparently as white as the ghost here thought he heard. Dunno if his bladder was able to maintain continence either!

:lol: :lol:

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Re: pranks on apprentices - here's a good one!

Unread post by Goldylux » December 2nd, 2015, 1:52 pm

This Indian fella started at work, and had to scrape paint off the floor of one of the spray booths,
taking his time, my mate scotty yelled out " you need some elbow grease mate." He took the hook
and asked where to get the grease, he was told to go up to stores and ask for it there, and he did.

We all had a good laugh, and smiles on our face when he got back. Most of the workplace now calls him "elbow."

I call him little donkey because he does stupid things sometimes and he calls me big donkey.

I came out of the toilet one day and he was walking past and he said " big donkey stinks man"
I said "that's why I'm the big donkey and you're the little donkey. :lol:

All good fun.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » December 2nd, 2015, 2:36 pm

I did an apprenticeship through the Army, was a system that worked on long weights, left handed screwdrivers etc.

A Sergeant told some of us one day that a particular bolt smelt like a high tensile bolt. For those not in the know, the head of the bolt has numbers or symbols that tell you whether or not it's a high grade bolt. The good old Sarge was simply looking at the head then sniffing it. 12 of us spent a week sniffing a variety of bolts trying to smell the difference.

We also had an annual event called called games night, an occasion when the second year apprentices would have some light hearted, harmless fun with the first year apprentices, or, as the courts call it nowadays, institutionalised bastardisation.

All good fun, apparently it gave us coping skills.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » December 2nd, 2015, 9:15 pm

^^^This site needs a like button. Sniffing the bolts :lol:

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » December 2nd, 2015, 9:47 pm

Goldylux
You should have told that Indian fella to go online and buy the elbow grease :) http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... t,akfe4420

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » December 2nd, 2015, 11:14 pm

This was a real request, but was interpreted as a prank.

We asked a junior staff member to pop down to the store to buy a gender bender to put on a dongle.

She wasn't having a bar of it.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » December 5th, 2015, 4:16 pm

As a young scientist first starting out in pathology we used to have a smartarse senior scientist who after taking considerable time to explain all the tests needed to properly analyse urine, use to state that the last, but by no means least, was the taste test, where he would quickly dip his first finger in and then lick his middle finger, done quickly no one ever noticed, but it never failed to almost make a couple of students gag!
Oh yes and we used to occasionally send new students up to the laboratory in the mothers hospital for some fallopian tubes. :lol:
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » December 5th, 2015, 9:15 pm

The boss sent me to the parts shop for left hand thread sparkplugs when I was a lad. I got the better of him when the parts guy gave me a dud plug which had not been threaded which he had lying around under the counter. I turned up back at the shop and told the boss (who was trying to hide a smirk) that I couldn't get LH thread ones but how about push- in ones? I pulled it out of the box & gave it to him. . his jaw nearly hit the floor and I had the laugh.

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » December 6th, 2015, 10:05 am

Found this gem the other day..

Position a foot air pump by the tracks of a machine and hide the hose somewhere, then get the young fella to pump like hell thinking he's inflating the tracks, and when nothing happens, say there must be a leak somewhere :lol:

Here's a video for your entertainment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wxuYPn4c8

adamqld
Getting to know the place

Unread post by adamqld » December 27th, 2015, 4:19 pm

when you get an apprentice first starting out and he askes where the toilet is, ask him about the toilet log book, if he doesn't have one, get him to write his name & time that he goes to the toilet each time. at the end of the week hand it in to the supervisor with his time sheet.

another send them off to the store and get a 4 pin protractor

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 28th, 2015, 12:13 am

Ask them to find a new bubble for the spirit level.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » December 28th, 2015, 9:41 am

We had a new engineer not long out of uni come into the workshop chasing a few scraps of aluminium for a job at home.

One of the guys took him to the metal rack and started discussing the project he was making and the different properties of the aluminium alloy sheets we had in order to determine what material he was after that would do the job.

They looked at a few different things and a material was selected and cut to the required size, at which point the new engineer asked "How can you tell the difference between all these materials?"*

The quick thinking tradesman replies "Well, of course you try and bend it and that will give you some idea of the temper, the luster of the surface can give some indication too, but to check the alloy, you stick your tongue on it and it sets up an electrolytic reaction in your mouth and you can sort of taste the difference between the metals. 2024 Aluminium/copper will react differently to 5005 and 7075 aluminium/zinc alloy. It takes a bit of getting used to but after a while you can pick it.'

Legend has it someone walked past his office and saw him sitting there licking metal strips.

*The surface appearance can give you some idea, but the material and temper is printed on the back side in 1.5" letters.

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » December 31st, 2015, 1:15 am

Had a young apprentice in an engineering workshop back years ago (when you were allowed to play pranks).
I was drilling some holes in a drill press and ran out of soluble coolant and as he was standing there watching I sent him off to get me some K9P oil.
The coolant was kept in a 44 gal drum but it was empty so we sent him up to different department of the company to ask the guy up there for some.
We rang ahead and let him know what was going on.
They sent him to another department then another and you get the drift.

Finally he got back and said sorry but everyone has run out.......

By then we had mixed up a new batch and were happily drilling away.....

Then the penny dropped.........

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » December 31st, 2015, 1:17 am

New a young painter that got sent off for some white and red spotted paint.
Rode his push bike all over town that day and never got any.......

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » December 31st, 2015, 1:25 am

In summer we would take in turn to buy a cold coke from a vending machine just next to my workshop.
Caught the apprentice one day shaking my can up so it would explode when I opened it.
As you might know if you just shake a can nothing happens BUT if you give it a sharp bang to the base just hard enough that it doesn't damage the can, this has the desired effect.

Well next day and for the rest of the week I shouted him a coke every day......

He never worked that one out and I didn't have the heart to tell him hahahaha.

Old saying. Age and cunning will out do youth any day......

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”