Anyone had a trailer inspected by Vicroads?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
10571z
Been here a while

Anyone had a trailer inspected by Vicroads?

Unread post by 10571z » November 21st, 2015, 3:00 pm

I have an appointment Monday for a Dingo Trailer i purchased. Ive made sure all the lights ect work. I am worried about the brakes though. When i pull the handle on the trailer the brakes don't hold the trailer. They work a bit but not full lock. How strict are vic roads when the check? This trailer can carry over 750kg gross so needs to be inspected. Cheers

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Anyone had a trailer inspected by Vicroads?

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 21st, 2015, 3:45 pm

The responsibility for its roadworthy rest solely with you. Not them.

The reason for inspection is to check its ID numbers / Rego numbers, that it has brakes and lights fitted as required and that it is basic condition ( not structurally rusted out or some other obvious fault)

It would be very rare for them to actually take your vehicle / trailer combo for a test drive - they don't need to at all, if they have any doubt they just fail to pass it and force you to get it checked / repaired by a Licenced Tester.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » November 21st, 2015, 5:16 pm

I may have this wrong but are you asking what the chances are of vic roads passing a trailer that you know should not pass?

Being over 750kg doesn't it need a RWC? You should be able to adjust the cable for the parking brake to get it to work properly (you will be glad you did when you use it on a job).Take the wheels off and make sure the brakes are clean and not full of mud, don't have worn out shoes etc.

10571z
Been here a while

Unread post by 10571z » November 23rd, 2015, 3:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. The trailer passed. They simply checked the plate and the lights (indicators and brake). I will get my mechanic to check the brakes next car service!

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”