Anyone Understand Hi-Fi Systems

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Heisenberg
Been here a while

Anyone Understand Hi-Fi Systems

Unread post by Heisenberg » November 17th, 2015, 12:11 am

I have a home theatre system that had a Yamaha RX-V461 amp. The house was burgled recently and the amp stolen.It's covered by contents insurance, but that particular model is no longer available.

So in terms of replacing it, I need to source the equivalent Yamaha system. Does anyone know enough about Hi-Fi systems to be able to look at the RX-V461 specs and make a recommendation as to the equivalent Yamaha system today?

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone Understand Hi-Fi Systems

Unread post by stockhorse » November 17th, 2015, 3:44 am

West Coast HiFi - Malaga ask them what replaced the RX-V461 and go with that. It would have to be the same as or better than what was stolen.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » November 17th, 2015, 8:21 am

Something along the lines of an rxv-479 would be a model update of what you had.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... ted=573309_

Current is measured differently in the newer amps so it is difficult to do direct comparisons anymore. I was informed I should hang onto my old Yamaha amp for music rather than upgrade to a newer one - not what you want to hear.
You'll never get the same answer twice when looking at amps, like speakers, they are subjective to what the listener likes to hear and how they like to tune them.

The above amp has enough hdmi and wireless stuff to keep current for the time being, and isn't much of a step in either direction from what you had. It is 5.1 which is equivalent to what you had. No reason to go to 7+ channels if you don't have the speakers/space/room layout to do it - better off spending the $ on a decent 5.1.

Any Yamaha dealer should be able to sort you out pretty quickly with equivalent models. I would rate myself as an enthusiastic amateur at best - not a professional so get that info confirmed.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » November 18th, 2015, 8:33 pm

I can contribute squat diddly to the OP's problem, but just wanted to comment about how things have changed over time.

Many here would remember the dedicated hi-fi shop before the days of Harvey-Norman etc. Not many of them left now. Also many would remember the way in which hi-fi would be argued like Toyota vs Nissan vs the rest (that still periodically crops up!). It was always something to get to the top of the pecking order by exclaiming how marvellous one's own system was with plenty of specs thrown in as well as how much money had been put into it (always the best indicator of how "serious" you were). And then the speakers - well if they were Wharfdale (was that the brand or have I got it completely wrong??) you were a somebody... The specs were just so good. But don't forget the speaker enclosures and what they were made of and the details of the crossover networks. I actually remember reading how one enthusiast spent $50k on a pair of speakers with concrete filling the speaker box voids. I heard another story about how one bloke built an audio room on his house from which the better half and the kids were prohibited entry! Oh and don't forget your THD and turntable rumble specs! Need to be able to quote them.

And nowadays, look at the little "mini" systems that are sold with tiny speaker boxes - nahhh they couldn't be any good. Bud earpieces instead of headphones (though these latter survive)??

Times have changed... Not that I have looked hard, but I can't recall seeing any hi-fi mags in the newspaper shop magazine racks either.

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » November 18th, 2015, 10:07 pm

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the yamaha units. I used to have one similar to the OP's.

But now I've got Denon and for similar money I wouldn't go anything else. As a starter to get you in a relatively base model which still has the necessary future proofing, something like this would be on the money http://www.harveynorman.com.au/denon-7- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”