Your non 4x4 cars (toys)

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Your non 4x4 cars (toys)

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 14th, 2016, 6:54 pm

That's no good mate. It was a beautiful car. Good that everyone is OK but still....
Cheers

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 14th, 2016, 8:06 pm

:cry:

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » January 14th, 2016, 10:46 pm

I'm absolutely shattered. On top of everything else going on at the moment
having my wrecked pride and joy in the driveway is just,well,.......

I actually get emotional when i have to ring the insurance company or look at it,
as stupid as that sounds. It was dreadfully under insured too. The car
was my baby,i serviced it when it didnt need it and would throw away a sponge
if i knew it had hit the ground when i washed it. :D used to buy 50 dollar
poly alcohol chamois for it too,and genuine parts,top quality oil,blah blah blah.
I'm sure you guys know how it is.

It still smelled new inside.

I've told the insurer the car has a lot of centimental value and that i really want it back,
whether they play or ball or not i don't know.

Fingers crossed.

Hopefully i can put the engine,trans,suspension and brakes etc into something else.

What a shame.

Cheers.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 15th, 2016, 8:00 am

I kinda know what you mean. I had a BMW and same as you noting was to much for my baby......
That car was so clean you could eat your dinner of the bonnet. ( I would have killed you if you did....)
Anyway after a few years I was offered a great deal of money for it at the right time in life for me. I sold it but could not see her go, it was raining too. I never drove it in the rain, never on dirt roads etc
I found out that some rich daddy had bight it for his son. I hope he is looking after her.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 15th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Goldy ,see if you can get it downgraded to a repairable write off from a stat write off. Different states have different standards. Look up your states standards and make sure the damage really is a stat write off (some assessors are lazy and take the easy way out).

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 15th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Might not impact on you Goldy, but for anyone else in other States, for what it's worth, NSW doesn't discriminate with different types of write-offs any more.... If it's a write-off of any type that hails from NSW, it ain't ever going to be registered & roadworthy again in Aust (well, at least not without going thru some fairly extensive & expensive as well as convoluted processes!!) The bad news is that now most other States seem to be looking at the NSW system with a view to adopting it, or something with minor variations - apparently it makes 're-birthing' cars a lot harder & removes a lot of the attraction for the local (within Aust) theft & resale of whole cars; & the 'micro-dot' treatment & identification adds another level of difficulty to that as well, so it's driving the local crims out of the game, leaving the 'whole car', parts, & panels game all to the international gangs. :purplex:

Looks like it won't be long before a parking lot bingle or minor fender bender is gonna mean you hafta buy a whole bloody new car!! :irked:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 15th, 2016, 5:26 pm

This section of the NSW legislation is currently under revue following several court cases where other cars have gained permission for repair.

Exempt categories
Roads and Maritime will only consider applications to repair and re-register written off vehicles if they fit one of the exempt vehicle categories:

Hail damaged, where you were the registered operator for more than 28 days before the vehicle was hail damaged (contact your insurer)
Inherited in a will or letters of administration
Registered in your name for more than 28 days before the damage that caused it to be written off.

Lots of vehicles are written off due to:
The mechanical components (eg the engine block, transmission case, differential housing and/or the axle housing)being damaged.
Cost of repair exceeds value of vehicle........especially older vehicles, but is really no reason the car cannot be repaired for safety reasons.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » January 15th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately the car is bent like a banana.
The assessor seemed hell bent on sending it to the auctions. I guess thats
what they do. Pretty sure it's written off regardless.

It isnt bent enough to have damaged any driveline or suspension gear though and i have a
few dollars spent on both, including the motor and associated parts.

I dont want to be rude to the towie who tries to pick the car up and niether
does mum, but this car was more than just a toy for me and really is one of
the only things i have left that reminds me of dad having a good time. Except
for the fishing rods in the garage which havnt been used since his passing.

I'm hoping the the insurance company come round as ive told them the story
but yeh,dunno.

I just dont want some panel beater to pick it up for stuff all from the auctions,
make a small fortune and the car be lost forever. I'm being hospitalized soon for
about a week and if i come out and find the cars been towed, i wont be overly excited.

Just gotta hope the insurance company help me out. You would think they would,
considering ive been with them for about a decade,with various cars and never claiming
anything.

Any more toys to take my mind off things??? lol.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 15th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Goldy, the other option if it is under insured is to not make a claim.If there is no claim it does not go on the written off register. then take the time and have it slowly repaired over a period of time.
If that is not an option, then selling it privately (not on the register) could yield you more dollars and ensure the car would be repaired and remain intact.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » January 15th, 2016, 11:35 pm

The car hit the middle pillar between the doors on the pass/ side,
crushed the doors inwards,smashed both the windows and the windscreen,
bent the roof and the under sill,(below the doors-Chassis) pretty nicely.

and the rear R/H side rear door wont open. You can see the chassis is tweaked
when you look at it.
She's ruined.

Probably be a few days or weeks until i find out whats happening. Had i known what the
insurance company may or may not do, i might not have claimed. Who knows. If they drag
it out or make a big deal out of this i definitely wont be going back to them.

Enough of this banter, wheres the toys?

The celica/supra mockup type setup on the other page looked mint.always had a thing for them.
I liked how it actually said "CELICA/SUPRA" on the steering wheel. Looked a bit like a batmobile
really. Loved em. Like what you've done with that celica.

And loved the shape of the nissan 240z/260z/280z if anyone was into them?

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » February 14th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Goldy was is the outcome with the insurance company?

rat patrol
Need to get out more

Unread post by rat patrol » February 17th, 2016, 8:05 am

what I do when not wheeling or touring :D :D
Camped at the Birdville Races ;)
Cheers
Rat

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 17th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Mate, you are now just showing hey....but, man do i like it!!

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » February 17th, 2016, 4:50 pm

^ never thought of going camping in a plane.lol. Well done,thats awesome. :lol:

If you dont like cringing,look away now....

The insurance company wouldnt pay me out unless they took the car away. It went up for auction today.
No doubt some wrecker bought it and it will be stripped over the coming weeks. Pretty sad.

On a happier note i bought myself a ute a VU holden SS. Mainly to take my mind off things. Going to be giving it
a facelift with a vz front and a general tidy up all around. It's been lowered already with new bushes,
and has a full exhaust from engine back. It's auto too which is nice and easy for me to drive.
Has a lockable hardcover, alarm and weather shields too.

Been collecting parts for the vz conversion and prepping them for paint,doing the whole lot myself
and aiming for a show finish. Gonna be a lot of work doing it in the driveway. :D Should look a bit
like a vz thunder when it's done.

Cheers.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » February 17th, 2016, 6:14 pm

First thing to change is the mirror, let me know if you have trouble finding any parts you want (easier to find on the east coast)

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”