Your non 4x4 cars (toys)

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Re: Your non 4x4 cars (toys)

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 3rd, 2015, 4:40 pm

If needed, one keg can be fitted along with the fridge. Two kegs have enough space for all our clothes and bits and pieces for a long trip. The front area holds a tree man tent, fly, and sleeping bags along with spare helmets, which probably answers your other question. (The two helmets in this photo are the ones we were using, just somewhere to place them.)
Pic006_resize.jpg
And before anyone asks,, Yes, a stealth number plate.. :rolleyes:
Trailer tows and sits extremely well.. (passed a police car at 130.. Well, I didn't know it was a police car.. :redface: )
Pic007_resize.jpg
This is pretty much what it looks like loaded on a trip...
Pic008_resize.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 3rd, 2015, 6:45 pm

So if you had to guess, (or do you know?) what would you say the trailer itself cost (parts & labour plus finishing etc)?? While the kegs look pretty swish on the trailer behind your bike, I've got something a little different in mind for the 'pod' on a trailer to tow behind my Pearl White CanAm Spyder RT, but the trailer itself is very much along the lines I was thinking... I want a base that I can drop different 'pods' into to meet various needs - something that's versatile without being too restrictive or heavy; & I've already got the AlKo Torsion suspension set-up. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 3rd, 2015, 10:26 pm

Well, if you already have the axle then it's just a cost of materials. The sheet of mesh was about $100, then to get it flattened and the sheet cut to size was about $50 from memory, but the U shaped channel that holds the mesh was the best part of another $50. The frame was acid dipped, ceramic beaded then powder coated, think that was about $240. The 360 degree hitch was about $60. Full seam welding (and then back grinding for smooth fillets) took forever. There is a hell of a lot of welding when you are doing both sides of everything. Used at least couple boxes of flap discs cause once the edge was worn they were no good. Near a box of fine grit grinding wheels, plus I used a Dremel to get into the corners. Hard to say as I did it over a couple of weeks, but my guess is the best part of three days work once all the steel was cut. As I recall, we worked it out that to build and sell one commercially at a reasonable profit would be about $6000.00, and that's what I insured it for... But, then to get the kegs polished to mirror finish cost $450.00.. LED lights were a new thing then, and those truck lights cost near $200.00..
The tubing gets it's strength by the top and bottom frame being fully welded to form a box beam section.
Incidentally, you may find that the standard Alko suspension may be too hard as I think their lightest unit is 750Kg..
The expanded mesh and the U channel came from the Locker Group. Now a days, they have mesh already flattened, just have to get the right size. Should be a division in Adelaide I would think.. Hope that all helps...
Puff

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 4th, 2015, 9:06 am

Thanks for all that, it fits in with my estimates & leaves me with lotsa good stuff to go on with now! :thumb:

I think my AlKo axle will be OK, they made it up specifically (specially?) for a 'boat' trailer to carry a lightweight boat/SkiDoo; I'm planning on converting the very basic 'boat trailer' into a more versatile 'convertible trailer' so I don't hafta run 3 or 4 different trailers to tow behind the Spyder, & I've already got the 'luggage' pod sorted. ;)

Funny tho, You would be surprised at the similarities between my planning sketches/drawings & your design/result - musta been taught by teachers who went to the same 'engineering design' school!! Or maybe it's something to do with age & experience... :lol:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 4th, 2015, 9:31 am

Hmmmm, maybe you caught sight of it on our Adelaide trip?? Did the round trip down through Talum, then GOR, Melbourne, Sydney, back home.. Guess the radical design stuck in your mind?? (just joking) ....
I think I would still have the CAD drawings on a disc if that would help?? The size would suit a Spyder too...
I take it that the Alko is a two section thingy then, that is separate left and right units??
Puff

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 4th, 2015, 11:19 am

Could well be, I haven't pulled it apart to look! :lol: (probably won't either. ;) )

It's one of their IRS axle assemblies set up to match the Spyders wheel track/width of 1572 mm; looks just like a bolted up box section axle housing with splined stubs sticking out either end that carry the swing arms & hubs etc - I just told them what I wanted in the way of specs, weight capacity, ride height, rim & wheel specs etc & they made me an axle assy to suit - I've been doing that with them since the early '70's, worked well so far! :thumb:

Thanks for the CAD disc offer, but while I'm tempted, I think I'm probably too far down the 'assemble all the necessary bits' and 'kick off all the required work' phases to make too many changes or too much difference now - but looking at your pics, I reckon the only significant differences might be specific materials, dimensions, or finishes. So now all I've got left are the time consuming bits (got plenty of time on hand now that I'm not going anywhere in a hurry...) Still, your pics & description have certainly validated the overall look & concept of the trailer, for me anyway! :D

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » December 4th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Yeh righto you two, back to the cars and bikes or we'll have to kick you out! :D
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 4th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Sorry Rowdy... Your fault Peter... :)
Right,, back to the cars, bikes and trucks...
Mack 14_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » December 4th, 2015, 1:18 pm

You own THAT? Or you want it?
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 4th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Yep.. Owned two of them.. This is the short wheel base.. The other one was 8 foot longer..
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 4th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Wasn't as pretty as this one..
Puff

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » December 4th, 2015, 7:58 pm

I used to drive one of those with a matt green finish Puff.

Back to the trailer, what do you call those fiberglass roof rack thingies, I think it was what Peter was alluding to & can you post a pic of your hitch or is there an actual name I can Google?

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 4th, 2015, 8:36 pm

foogill ... Just quickly.. Similar, but not the same as the kackey green ones you used.. This one has 14 inch double rail chassis as opposed to the others with a 7 inch single rail.. Cab is actually a R model fitted out as a Super Liner sans carpet with the Flintstone front.. Power is a 350 intercooler with 10 speed range change.. Axles were heavier as well, but the front axle was still a Kelsey Hayes.. Tare weight about 14 tonne (with the Palfinger and all)...

On to the coupling.. It is a pressed steel Alko coupling fitted to a rotating shaft. Looked around on the net and couldn't find one similar except a non rotating one. Same on Ebay.. So I don't know if they are still available, but you could get one of the non rotating ones and make the swivel piece if you were so inclined... I'll go out to the shed in the morning and take a couple of photos and post them on here for you..
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » December 5th, 2015, 1:44 pm

foogill... So, here's the photos I promised.. Trailer is a bit dusty, so forgive the quality..

I spend a good time on the net last night trying to find the right coupling.. (knew it was an Alko AK7 coupling, but couldn't find one with a 360 degree swivel).. So went through some old paper work and found that I actually bought the coupling from Classic Industries in Yandina, Sunshine Coast.
Details: Classic Industries P/L phone number 07 5472 7266 Contact Steve.
Part number is 00006

From what I recall now, they use the Alko hitch and manufacture the swivel..
20151205_122919_resize.jpg
20151205_122928_resize.jpg
20151205_122956_resize.jpg
20151205_123010_resize.jpg
Hope that all helps..
Puff

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » December 5th, 2015, 9:01 pm

That's a big help, cheers.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”