Any Publicity - is Good Publicity! - Right?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Any Publicity - is Good Publicity! - Right?

Unread post by Shann Low » October 14th, 2015, 1:34 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/298 ... -foggerdy/

I know you guys here at 4wd action, will do anything for a little publicity but SURELY this is taking it a bit far? :lol: :lol:

foogill
Need to get out more

Re: Any Publicity - is Good Publicity! - Right?

Unread post by foogill » October 14th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Bet he would've preferred a 4WD to a 4WD T-Shirt.

Very lucky chap.

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » October 14th, 2015, 5:51 pm

foogill wrote:Very lucky chap.
Bloody idiot if you ask me.
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » October 14th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Possibly a member...

He was hunting, got lost... mistakes are easy to make.

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » October 14th, 2015, 8:53 pm

smwhiskey wrote:
foogill wrote:Very lucky chap.
Bloody idiot if you ask me.

a harsh comment , when you do not know all the facts .

kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 14th, 2015, 9:00 pm

I have been following the story. Can't speak for all the facts, but I know that sort of arrangement, a bush block that people get so comfortable with that it seems like part of the backyard. So easy to get casual about it and one day it turns around and bites you in the bum. I can see myself having cut those sorts of corners at times myself (like one time that I took a short cut on a track I thought I knew really well, no gear, no spare fuel)..., familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » October 16th, 2015, 7:13 pm

kerry460 wrote:
smwhiskey wrote: Bloody idiot if you ask me.
a harsh comment , when you do not know all the facts .
kerry
Possibly. But from what I've read about this story...
If I ever go bush as unprepared as this bloke obviously was and making the same mistakes as this bloke made (No Food, No water, No Communication gear, keep wandering when I realise I'm lost and don't signal when its obvious people should be looking for me), I will not be upset if you judge me the same way...because I'd bloody deserve it.

Simon
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 16th, 2015, 7:29 pm

He is a expert bushman id you believe the media!

He was "found" by following his footprints!.

It "never occurred to him, at any stage, to just turn around and follow his own footprints back to camp"? :confused:

Never mind the, no water, no comms, no food, etc - don't wish to be too harsh on the guy!

He was found 10 miles (15kms) from where he started/his camp (he got out of the vehicle only 400 meters from camp to chase the camel/s).

The last 2 days he was laying under the tree in the shade too weak to signal those searching for him..(but he had a rifle - he couldn't fire it 3 times)?

So in effect he only walked 10 miles in a straight line away from his camp for 4 days or 2.5 miles a day!

IF he had stopped at day 1 only 2.5miles from camp and fired his rifle into the air 3 times - id be pretty surprised if his mate couldn't hear it from 2.5 miles away! ts not like he had a 22 rimfire - he had something big enough to down a camel - so high powered and thus pretty damn loud!.

Just about everything WRONG with this story - is from "bad choices" made by this guy at every step of the way.

I know, it happens - people made "dumb choices" sometimes and things compound spiral out of control.

These people however are not usually referred to experts in bush survival.

But - you now today's "sensationalist" media!.

Glad the guys been found alive and if he's a member here - not knocking him - just pointing out the seemingly (to me) 'obvious contradictions'!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » October 16th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It only takes a couple of mistakes to influence decisions which then result in more mistakes. . sometimes without knowing one is making a mistake. and then alarm and panic causes more errors of judgement. Even experts get caught out. He is a lucky dude for sure

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”