Anyone got some spare change??

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Anyone got some spare change??

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » October 10th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Cradle of Australian culture on offer as Miles Franklin’s former home Brindabella Station for sale

A farm which was the genesis of Australia’s most prestigious literary prize, the Miles Franklin Award, is entering a new chapter in its rich history.
Brindabella Station, the former home of author Miles Franklin who wrote My Brilliant Career, is for sale.
The property on the ACT and NSW border has been a cradle of national culture, loved and lived in by an assembly of notable Australians including Banjo Paterson, Malcolm Fraser and Richard Carleton.

It was100,000 hectares that Miles Franklin’s family squatted on 100 years ago – about the size of Bahrain or Hong Kong – but now it’s a much smaller parcel of land that current owners Brian and Guillermina Barlin are selling. Brindabella’s homestead, three cottages and 40 hectares are on the market for more than $1.8 million.
“We have lived here for over 30 years and would do anything to stay but family circumstances are forcing us to move closer to Canberra,” says Mr Barlin.
“But we plan to keep a block of Brindabella for our children so we aren’t letting go altogether.”
For their part the Barlins have embraced Brindabella’s history, restoring the rendered rammed earth five-bedroom homestead, built in 1900 after the original house burnt down in the 1800s.

The property, on the Goodradigbee River, also has two two-bedroom cottages and a fishing hut which the Barlins have restored.
“Brindabella Station was a cattle property in the 1840s and sheep substantially from 1900 through to the 1960s,” Mr Barlin says.
“But it was the trout fishing that it became so well known for and that is what attracted people to the property such as Malcolm Fraser, Richard Carleton, WC Wentworth and Banjo Paterson.”
Mr Barlin says Brindabella’s most famous resident Miles Franklin came to the property as a baby in the late 1870s.
Puff

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Anyone got some spare change??

Unread post by Shann Low » October 10th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Is it within a good rifle shot of any current crop of Canberra politicians?
Could be tempting! ;)

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » October 10th, 2015, 5:48 pm

35Km in a straight line.. About 20 from high ground, bit far for even Valdez with his Sharps.... (Now, that's showing my age. :rolleyes: ) But you could do a quick run into town after dinner and be back before breakfast.. ;)
Brindabella 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 10th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Looks like a job for Quigly & his 1874, 45/110 Sharps... the rifle that "shoots today and kills tomorrow". :lol:

The trout bit piqued my interest... but the idea of so many politicians in one place at the same time, I probably couldn't be trusted with a gun. ;) :D

http://www.shilohrifle.com/shop/product ... ductid=115

Some days I seriously contemplate buying one a these.... just "for the hell of it"! :thumb:

http://www.truewestmagazine.com/the-sho ... orrow-gun/

During the June 1874 battle of Adobe Walls in the Texas Panhandle, where an estimated 700 Comanche, Kiowa and Cheyenne warriors attacked nearly 30 hide hunters, young hunter Billy Dixon made a remarkable 1,538-yard shot at a mounted Indian, from his borrowed Model 1874 Sharps, in .50-90 caliber—and he dropped him, thus effectively ending the fight!

Long-distance shots like this one caused the Indians to christen the Sharps with colorful titles such as the “Shoot Today, Kill Tomorrow” or “Shoots Far” gun.

Buffalo hunters favored Sharps rifles above all others, until the end of the hide-hunting years in the mid-1880s. In the hands of these expert shots, Sharps rifles earned immortality in the annals of American West history.
Some of us are old enough to appreciate the history lesson!

The Rifle used was chambered in 50/90 allegedly.

Back in the day I used to own a Marlin saddle carbine lever gun chambered in .45/70 US govt!

About half of Custers troops at the battle of the little big horn had rifles chambered for .45/70 US Govt.

I also worked in the railways where we used a "velocity rail punch" powered by blank .45/70 US Govt cartridges that fired a captive hardened punch thru the web of the rail, to make "holes" to attach fish plates and repair "broken rails".

My Gangers would save up all of the fired brass for me - and I'd reload it for use in the Marlin with modern smokeless (nitrocellulose) propellant!

I killed at both ends... my shoulder would kill the next day alright! :rolleyes:
Last edited by Shann Low on October 11th, 2015, 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 10th, 2015, 6:39 pm

If the weather's not too bad, back when I lived/worked in that part of the world, that trip from Brindabella into Canberra wasn't more than an easy mornings drive.... Besides the abundance of trout fishing in the area, there's lotsa other stuff to do - heading South from there quickly gets you into some interesting 4 wheeling in & around Kosciusko Nat Park or over the border into the Alpine Nat Park & the Hi Country. You could also be down on the coast for lunch; or into the snowfields in even less time; or well out past Wagga on the wide open plains & well on your way to Central Aust!!

There are lots of much worse places to live, & if you really feel that way about our pollies, you could be in & out of Canberra pdq & then be awful hard to find or catch in the back country around there!! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » October 10th, 2015, 7:43 pm

When I was a kid, would have been about 1955 or 56, maybe 57. I remember my grandfather taking us over to the station. There was a gathering on the grass down towards the river, sort of like a country picnic. Memory's a bit hazy, but I think it was some sort of business about the Batlow cannery.. Anyways, I remember us all starting out in a big black Studebaker really early,like before daylight and it took us nearly all day to arrive, (well it seemed that way). From memory, the 'road' was not much more then a logging track. Must have been rugged because he only used the Studebaker in the winter when there was snow and the roads turned into slush. We left late afternoon and arrived in Canberra well into the night. Next day home down the highway via Gundagai. It stuck in my mind because it seemed like it was an epic trip, and the station seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, which at that time was a pretty accurate assumption on my part.
Seeing it's all broken up, I wonder if one can still drive through to Long Plain and come out near the Yarrangobilly turn off??
Puff

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 10th, 2015, 8:04 pm

No, the direct route from Brindabella thru Long Plain to Yarrangobilly was closed due to too many 'idjit' 4WD'ers driving off the track & cutting up the cleared areas around the buildings, as well as the level of vandalism & theft that occurred whenever anything was left unattended.... :(

So these days, the 'public road' ends shortly after the turn off on the road from Canberra to Tumut. There are quite a few signs telling anyone turning down that way that there is no through road & that there is no public access, & there was a gate & turning circle put in not far from the intersection, but last I heard that'd been damaged by someone going thru anyway so they installed a number of motion activated cameras & took pics of everyone turning off the main drag, let alone getting as far as the gates. I believed there's even been a number of fines levied on people proceeding further - not sure exactly what for, but the thru road is closed to the public. The other end is in the National Park & is clearly labelled, plus there's a gate not far north of the Broken Cart track intersection.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 10th, 2015, 10:10 pm

That track has been closed since the area became more generally accessible sue to better roads and vehicles. Various older relatives got around there a lot with Landrovers and such before the road was closed in the late 70s or early 80s or thereabouts. The whole area was very popular with spotlighting for pigs and I am told it was difficult to get sleep some nights on account of the traffic and gunfire!

I have a rather pleasant memory of heading up there in an International C1300 to collect firewood.

There's a very neat service road through the park that's not open to the public that chops quite a chunk of time compared to the default Uriarra route.

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » October 10th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Nilla60... Forgot that you would know the area.. Things change over the years.. Later years, we would leave Batlow and go 'up the hill' through the Bago forest and hit Goat Ridge Road, think it's called Elliot Way now. Then down and along the Tumut river valley, through Sue City SMA camp, up to Cabramurra and out through Three Mile Dam road onto the Snowy Mountains highway, turn left to Yarrangobilly and then right onto the Long Plains road. Was a lot shorter then going out to the Hume highway..Can still remember the Baileys Bridges across the Tumut river on Goat Ridge road. It was a SMA road in those days. Don't know if they were from the second world war or just copies.
There used to be a track that left the Snowy Mountains highway about half way between Yarrangobilly and Talbingo. Used to come along the east side of the Bogongs and down along the Peak River and finally come out at the top of the Goobragandra valley.. Is that still there??
Miss the mountains, haven't been home for eight years..should spend some time back there..
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » October 10th, 2015, 11:00 pm

And Shann.. I used to have a 44/40 when I was a kid and that kicked enough for me...
Puff

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”