Hume Highway versus the bush

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
nilla60

Hume Highway versus the bush

Unread post by nilla60 » September 19th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Just got back form towing someone from where their car broke down on the Hume. They were stranded for a better part of the day at a fairly busy rest stop. The weather was wet and miserable. She could count on the fingers of one hand how many (of many) people stopping there asked her if she was OK, and one couple even offered her a hot cuppa because it was pretty cold. But the vast majority were a stark contract to our experience on less traveled roads, most people seemed more intent on avoiding eye contact while they littered the rest stop.

JohnF_LN106
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Hume Highway versus the bush

Unread post by JohnF_LN106 » September 21st, 2015, 2:36 pm

Well that all depends. If she was pulled up in a parking spot, standing next to the car, with the bonnet down, etc. then most people will assume she's just waiting for someone to finish buying snacks or come back from the toilets. I think we tend to fairly blase about people and vehicles when we're around them all the time, whereas a vehicle pulled over on the side of a desert track isn't so common.
Out of interest, do you know if she actually approached anyone for some help?
Cheers,
John
1991 HDJ80 GXL: 3" lift, 33" MT ATZ P3s, all the fruit.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » September 21st, 2015, 4:06 pm

As some people ask of her well being It would appear that there was some signs of distress.

I think more to the point is people in general don't give a toss if it has never happened to them as they don't realise how distressing it can be (especially to a female by themselves). Would you really encourage your partner to approach complete strangers and inform them of her plight in that situation?
My other half can well and truly look after herself but in that situation she (if offering help or receiving help) takes a quick pic of the vehicle (trying to include the number plate and occupants) and texts it just in case it goes wrong.
The world is a different place than it used to be and a quick pic and text even in off road situations could be a reasonable safe guard especially if you mention that you have done it to tell somebody (husband,wife friend) that these good samaritans have stopped to help you.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » September 22nd, 2015, 1:18 pm

Some show on Telly did a survey on this.
The scene was a car on the side of a road with bonnet up.
Hot young girl = Inundated.
Elderly people = quite a good response.
Young male = Zip.

Sounds about normal..... :)

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”