What is this tool?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

What is this tool?

Unread post by V Williamson » September 15th, 2015, 8:39 am

20150915_082430.jpg
I have had this laying around for some time. I think I inherited it.

Can anyone tell me its name and function? :boggle: Not clear in the photo is the cold chisel like end, although there is no cutting edge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: What is this tool?

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 15th, 2015, 9:34 am

Drop these guys an email and pic

http://www.toolexchange.com.au/home

If they dont know then you on ya own :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 15th, 2015, 10:59 am

Wire stripper?

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 15th, 2015, 11:59 am

Shann, I thought that too, until i realized that back in Year 19 Ought Dot they probably didn't have coated electrical cables AND that would have been a real Bi*ch of a tool to work with if the cable went live :lol:

I reckon it could be like a "Go-NoGo" gauge for drills............ then again. :confused:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » September 15th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Political wedge

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » September 15th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Whilst asking here on the forum, I also asked around the tech college given that there are a number of trades taught.

It would seem that the tool is a gauge for measuring wire e.g fencing wire and sheet metal thickness with the "cold chisel" end to help separate sheets. That seems to be the best answer. Most likely a "near miss" answer ( :urgh: argghhh have to fill out a form now for OHS...) was that it was a steel rope splicing tool with the cutouts to hold the rope strands.

By the way it does have the "Starrett" name on it.

Ok, so if I think I have now solved that problem, the next is to throw it in the recycling bin and have the steel reused elsewhere :eek: . Unfortunately, decsions have to be made about what is kept before the whole placed gets buried in "might be needing that one day".

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGREER62 » September 15th, 2015, 1:47 pm

My first guess is a wire gauge also. Probably used for fencing in the good ole days. The chisel point could be used in conjunction with a hammer to actually cut the wire so it served as a dual tool. Just a guess!

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » September 15th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Don't bin it too soon.I would offer a few dollars for it and do the research to find out exactly what it is.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » September 15th, 2015, 3:07 pm

i reckon its something loggers or timberworkers would use to hold something for sharpening.
the pointy end gets hammered onto log to hold it steady. different size holes for different bits to sharpen. the countersink around the hole are worn oldly meaning something was working in the hole.

where is 'starrett' written on it?. looked everywhere but i cant see it.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 15th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Give Starrett a ring - 02 9620 6944 - ask for an email and send them the pic
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » September 15th, 2015, 6:49 pm

G,,day it is a gauge for wire or sheet metal .
i cant remember if the did both .

kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » September 15th, 2015, 8:00 pm

The closest I could find is this plate guage, the tapered end of yours looks like its to line up holes in, say, 2 sheets of metal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » September 15th, 2015, 9:30 pm

jfoldbar wrote:...

where is 'starrett' written on it?. looked everywhere but i cant see it.
ummm... as it turns out, nowhere. I was guessing what was written into a stamping which is barely visible in the photograph. I took a closer look and found "GERMANY", and a few minutes ago I cleaned it up with a wire brush which allowed me to have another look with a magnifying glass.

After turning it a bit to get the right light angle, I finally realized it had "AHREM'S something something something LINE GERMANY" in three lines stamped ( a bit off angle so the first part of the second line was not readily recoverable ). So then, dr google... and apparently Ahrem's Goodline Tools of Germany are the makers and it is in our time a vintage tool. I even found the catalogue from 1938 from the Sydney stockists

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/acti ... ePid2=true

but this tool doesn't seem to be pictured. This company seemed to make a wide variety of tools for metal, wood and even for barbers (in the days before electric clippers).

Well they reckon everything these days can be controlled by your phone, but no matter how I swipe it, tap it, try to expand it, nothing seems to happen... Hey Kerry, you seem to agree with my mate at work about what it is, so whereabouts would I find whether its Bluetooth is turned on or not?? :D

I can see the sweat beads forming on Stock's forehead. Is this thing going to the bin now?? Given the interest, I should be a regular lowlife bar steward and list it on ebay... Ahhh what's the point. Listen S, you've got first dibs if I throw it. How about that?

I will say though that some weeks back I had a micrometer which would have been close to 100 years old with Dad's fathers name on it, but it was so crudded up as to be useless. Only $25 at Total Tools and I had a nice useful new one. Keeping Grandfather's wasn't worth it. It went to the recycling bin.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » September 15th, 2015, 9:33 pm

I reckon it's a vintage wire guage tool. Some I have seen have a timber handle, but with point at the end it has another purpose.

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » September 15th, 2015, 10:14 pm

G,,day . i cant tell you how to replace the battery and enable the bluetooth .

sorry mate :( :(
haha

kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”