Ride On Mowers?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Ride On Mowers?

Unread post by Shann Low » September 2nd, 2015, 4:51 pm

Been thinking about finding the lad a 'ride on mower' - maybe a near new used one or something?.
I know squat about ride on mowers, the last one I had was a Clydesdale. :lol:
Anyone here a ride on mower guru?
Been searching the net for info / opinions etc... and result is :crazy:
Brand, Model, twin cylinder or single cylinder, pressed cutting deck or welded?. Hydro-static drive or pully & belt?, Twin disc or triple or large single. Tractor or zero turn, catcher or not? mulcher plug?
Ground to mow is reasonably heavy soil with some clay and stones also not flat ground.
Diff lock?
Hard to know - some say Cox, John Deer or Husky?
Area is just a full on quarter acre block... with some fruit trees etc.
Lawns nothing flash - bit of buffalo basically, so no need for a reel mower - rotary slasher is fine!.
Open to any / all suggestions.. I said get a sheep and eat it when the grass is down, then get another one when it grows again, but they have 3 husky dogs that would apparently eat the sheep alive so that's not an option. :rolleyes:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Ride On Mowers?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 2nd, 2015, 5:03 pm

We got heaps here on Mowers, lots of it about the Ride-on variety! :sillywink:

search.php?keywords=mower&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » September 2nd, 2015, 7:23 pm

Thats the way Shann, search the net, but not here. :lol:

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » September 2nd, 2015, 8:01 pm

My old Greenfield was a great machine. But just died after years of abuse by the first, second , third and fourth owner.
The next one I bought was a demo Craftsman. I had it for 6 years and I hated it for 5,5....It was a piece of #@&*
I now own a husqvarna. So far so good. Very happy with it.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 2nd, 2015, 9:07 pm

Yeah I went thru those threads - I am still just as confused. :lol: :crazy:

Thank's Pete & Big Dutchy et al!

Husky is def one option high on my short list!.

I've seen a lot of good mentions of the old Greenfield and MTD (Yardmans).

I've seen poor reviews for the John Deers.

Toro zero turns, seem to get a good rap, but they are dear as hell - and the used ones seem to all be high hours, ex shire/local govt councils ones, for way too much money.

Heads still spinning...

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 2nd, 2015, 9:11 pm

Old Greenfields......... can't kill em
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » September 3rd, 2015, 8:33 am

^^

yes you can.....but it took 4 owners and about 25 years to do so..... :lol:

We had a John Deer at work. It always struggled cutting trough thick grass. It was a lawn mower not a
slasher but the way it struggled was not funny

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 3rd, 2015, 11:24 am

^^

:lol: And that, members of the Jury, is the end of the matter - My Dads second hand one was similar when he picked it up,and used it for another 20 years mowing a 4.5 acre home garden and paddock. Its now being used by the Bro In Law and still going strong. :thumb:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » September 3rd, 2015, 11:40 am

When I was growing up we had a Rover Colt with a pull start 5hp motor, 30" deck, 1 fwd/rev gear and a solid rear axle, that thing copped an absolute flogging, mowed 1.5 acres most weekends, the full 3 acres occasionally and kept doing it for over 12 years, all the while being driven by a teenager that fancied himself as a rally driver.

Now I have a Deere D130 with a 2 cylinder 650cc 22hp motor and find it quite good. I use if for mowing the lawn and slashing the 1acre horse paddock which on occasion has been so long that all you can see from the house is my head floating through the grass. Probably a bit of overkill for what you are after though.

My place is reasonably flat (5% slope) and I haven't had any issues, but I have read about them burning out transmissions if used on hilly country and a new transmission is 1/2 the price of the mower :eek: . So my advice there would be to steer away from a Deere hydraulic drive if your place is hilly.
It also has an open diff, so on my place there are a few places around drains and where my yard drops into a gully where you can lift a tyre and have to get off and push. The Husquavana has a diff lock, so might be a good option to consider.

A pressed metal deck will last quite a while, probably as long as most mowers. A fully assembled replacement deck (again for my mower) was around the $850 mark, so how much more is a fabricated deck and the bearings on it will wear out probably as quickly as a pressed metal one.
2 or 3 blades, depends how much grass you have to do. A 3 blade will do it quicker, but if the grass is thick they only have 1 exhaust chute so you are limited by how much grass you can shift out the side or mulch under the deck. 2 disc mower will fit through smaller gaps between trees and bushes and a single disc into smaller gaps again. A 0 turn will do it quicker again as you can get around obstacles quicker and they have a nice wide deck, but I don't think they are as suited to heavy grass, more for maintaining a lawn. 0 turn are quite expensive and for a yard your size, maybe a 4 wheel steer would be worth looking at?
I'm not that concerned with getting the job done too quickly, I have teenagers so I put in my ear buds, put the ear muffs over the top and turn on my iPod and go mowing. It is therapy and i can get lost in my thoughts without the kids driving me mad, a bit like riding my bike, but I don't get as far from home :) .

Mine has a mulching plug that takes less than 30 seconds to install, if the grass is shortish, then the plug goes in and you get a nice finish, if it is longer then the mower starts to choke on the cut grass, so I'll pull the plug and let it spread the grass around. It doesn't look as nice but you can mow over it again in a few days after all the cuttings have dried and they disappear.

4 legged mowers, I have 2 goats.. they are hopeless. They eat the trees, fence posts, chooks, basically anything except all the bloody grass.
Last edited by hoyks on September 3rd, 2015, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » September 3rd, 2015, 11:43 am

A ride on for a 1/4 acre,really? Geez just pay a local kid $30 a fortnight to mow it for you.The kid gets pocket money,your son gets the time to spend doing something else and you don't have the outlay for a ride on.Win Win for everyone.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » September 3rd, 2015, 11:50 am

I was thinking that, but do the huskys play well with others?

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 3rd, 2015, 3:00 pm

Looking at something he can go contracting with outside of doing his own lawn.

Reason for the ride on, is his missus mows the lawn... and she barely has any time with 2 young kids - he's often away driving road trains anything up to 16 hours a day and another 2 hours travel too and from work each day...

When theres no work (bad weather kills contracts in the wheat belt thru winter carting lime and grain) - he's home sometimes up to a week and needs to find something to do that tops up his 'guaranteed week' of 38 hours.

Dropping from over 100 hours a week to just 38 hits em pretty hard fiscally thru winter... being on just the one wage.

When he's on the big wages thru summer and never home he pays $1K a week in tax that he pretty much can't get back.

Trying to come up with some things, that he can do contract work locally in winter when things are quiet....

Basically 'working on a bit of a plan' to accumulate gear that he can do contract work locally when hes short on truck work 7 by buying/depreciating plant and equipment....as part of his contracting business he can claim the interest and depreciation off his tax!

He might as well be accumulating plant - rather than giving it all to Big Joe to hire choppers for Bronwyne!. :D

So coz he worked for DEC / PAW and has a zillion quals for falling trees and driving loaders dozers trucks elevated work platforms etc - he can pretty much turn his hand to many different tasks, he often gets asked to fall trees on farms etc and could take the stems home as logs in a tipping trailer, mill them up, go drill fence post holes with a Dingo K9, slash the fenceline first with the ride on, i.e. anything that pays more than just cutting and selling firewood which is what he does with his spare time now!.

Cutting firewood pays the bills... in winter... but it's not the best paying use of his time and skills doesn't help much with deductions for the tax bill at the end of the year.

So I am just casting around to find out - what items of plant / equipment might best be suited to some part time contracting & where i can buy the right gear at the right price... without getting lumbered with the wrong gear and someone else's problem child machinery.

The ride on sort of solves 2 immediate problems - his lawn and some outside contracting work with the ute and trailer he has already.

Then after that, I keep plugging away as what comes next... the stump grinder would fit in with his falling work - drop trees cut them up and take the logs away, the grind the stump out as part of the service (at a bigger fee of course).

Then take the logs home - tip them off and mill them up into slabs - with maybe an alaskan mill for starters them a lucas saw mill later.

Then move into the Dingo etc etc

That's the 'rough plan' as it is evolving at the moment.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey - everyone has to have a plan. ;)

A Plan B also isn't a bad Idea!. At the moment 'Plan B' is "one power ball & I am outta here!". :lol:

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » September 4th, 2015, 7:19 pm

another vote for the Greenfield mowers got ours second hand, goes well and after coming from a twin cylinder liquid cooled Honda (nice mower, expensive parts though) and a MTD that was well past its last legs this Greenfield seems really solid.
And they're Australian made and who doesn't love a bonnet scoop on their mower

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » September 14th, 2015, 8:13 am

We have a Toro lawn tractor. It gets the oil changed once a year. Broke one drive belt. Apart from the it doesn't fail. Just turn the key, put it in gear, start the cutters and go. Nothing to it.

And the grand kids can also drive it when I disable the cutters.

Phil

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 14th, 2015, 11:42 am

Toro seem to be the leader of the pack from what I can tell - a lot of the zero turn commercial machines that councils and shires use to maintain their parks etc seem to be Toro. They also seem to command good prices even well used.
Still doing my homework at this stage & keeping an eye on the used market as well.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”