Let's whinge about the rain.

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Heisenberg
Been here a while

Let's whinge about the rain.

Unread post by Heisenberg » August 8th, 2015, 10:55 am

You know what I hate about today's politically correct times? Amongst other things, whenever it rains, we now have to say "isn't it wonderful."

Bollocks to that! I've got a million things I need to do outside and for the 4th bloody weekend in a row it's pi55ing down. :mad:

It really sh1t5 me.....

Gary_M
Been here a while

Re: Let's whinge about the rain.

Unread post by Gary_M » August 8th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Been lovely up here, a tad cool at night though.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 8th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Haven't seen rain for a long time. Would love to see some rain. Tanks are almost dry.
I hope it rains on Monday. To busy this weekend for rain.

Cheers

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 8th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Bloody rain. ;)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/292 ... rth-again/

Water Corp Catchment Ranger Kevin Lillee takes a sample from the Canning Dam.
Record low run-off as rain skips Perth again
Run-off into Perth’s dams this year is the lowest on record, exposing WA’s drying climate.

With just three weeks left of winter, when Perth’s dams get most run-off, the Water Corporation said almost no water had flowed into the dams as a trend of low-rainfall years continued.

It said there was just 2.3 billion litres of “inflow”, or barely enough water for two days of summer for Perth.

This is the lowest since records began in 1911 and compares with an average of 185 billion litres a year.

It has left Perth’s dams at less than 28 per cent capacity, though really much lower because about two-thirds of stored water is considered unusable.

Also, about 15 billion litres of the 175 billion litres stored came from Perth’s two desalination plants as part of the policy to “bank” supplies in the dams in winter when demand is lower.

Perth has had lower than average rainfall this year — at 399mm — after relatively dry winter months. The long-term average for January to August 30 is 678mm.

It comes after 15 years during which Perth has had several of its driest recorded years.

Water Corporation spokeswoman Clare Lugar said the figure highlighted the sharp decline in Perth’s rainfall and dam levels over the past 30 years and the need for households to minimise water use.

Mrs Lugar said many Perth people born in the past couple of decades or who moved here had little idea about what an “average” Perth winter was like.

After providing almost all of its drinking water a few decades ago, Perth’s dams last year supplied just 18 per cent, with the rest from groundwater and desalination.

Weather Bureau regional manager Neil Bennett said it had not rained enough to soak Perth’s dam catchments, meaning rain did not run into them. “This winter so far there’s been a distinct lack of cold fronts,” Mr Bennett said.

“That’s the usual mechanism that brings Perth’s winter rainfall.”

Water Minister Mia Davies said there was no risk to supplies despite the lack of run-off into dams, which highlighted the merits of moving to “climate-independent” water sources.

“The community has done an outstanding job in reducing their water consumption over the past decade,” Ms Davies said.

“I would encourage everyone to keep those efforts going. We are currently saving about 105 billion litres of water each year, which is a great record.”
You bugga's in the east can send all our rain back any time ya like! :lol:

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » August 8th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Move to Qld, almost all of it is in drought. My tanks are dry and I'm hauling water, it is most inconvenient.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 8th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Qld?

Didn't you guys have some flood thing a couple years back that was an inland tsunami and washed people away in the main street of some inland town?

Qld in drought?..

Nah - I'd have to see it to believe it!. ;)

I dunno what's wrong with our Govt - with all the water in the Far North (Kimberly's) and in FNQ etc - we should build more huge dams like Lake Argyle - and run 2 ruddy big ring mains, around the entire nation in each direction!

Whenever it's a drought somewhere its invariably flooding somewhere else... just pump the water from wherever we are short if it from wherever we have too much of it. Use wind farms along the way to power the pumps.

Aussie could be the food bowl of the world, if we got our crap together with regard to managing our water properly!

Wouldn't have to turn the reffo boats around - we could welcome them with open arms - give them each 5 acres of desert and enough water to grow punkins, water melons and grapes... :rolleyes:

Just wait till I am benevolent dick tater of this wide brown parched land - there will be free punkin scones for everyone - don't you worry bout that!. :D :thumb:

Image]

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » August 8th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 9th, 2015, 10:26 am

Shann Low wrote:?..... I dunno what's wrong with our Govt - with all the water in the Far North (Kimberly's) and in FNQ etc - we should build more huge dams like Lake Argyle - and run 2 ruddy big ring mains, around the entire nation in each direction!......
Funny you should mention that!?!..... Another of the world's great dictators, Muammar Al Qadhafi had a similar dream!! If you google 'The Great Man-Made River' there's a fair bit of info about it; but basically it was a massive web of pipelines & reservoirs that supplied about 70% of Libya's population with fresh water from vast aquifers under the Sahara Desert found while they were searching for oil in the 50's. The Project had (at great cost to those not in favour of the regime) completed 3 of 5 stages by the time of the 2011 Libyan Civil War, when one of the 2 critical pipeline plants was hit by a NATO air strike in response to rockets being launched at them from some of the numerous rocket launchers 'stored' on the site. :(

I haven't heard much about it since, but then the Western World didn't ever hear much about it during the Qadhafi years anyway!! Still, it could be interesting to see how it's progressing now, it was a visionary (albeit costly to so many who had no choice in the matter :( ) project that could've made the Sahara a very productive food source for Libya if not the world!!

Must be a common dream for prospective 'benevolent Dictators'..... even if 'Banana Joh' & Muammar aren't your idols!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 9th, 2015, 11:19 am

Your so correct Peter.

I was aware of Gaddafi's great river project... some called it the 8th wonder of the world!.

Gaddafi's great mistake was that he used his country's oil revenues to pay for the pipeline project - and he DIDN'T borrow from the IMF to do it!

IF you don't sell your country into indebted servitude to the IMF - (i.e allow the west to own/steal all your natural resources) then your due for "regime change"!

Aussie is no different!

The BRICS bank will probably collapse the $US as world reserve currency status.......

Things are due to change I would say... the house of cards probably won't stand much longer!.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 10th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Geez...Mundaring weir is supplying water to the mines for dust suppression and other wasteful schemes. Hardly any of it is drinking water. It would fill up if they stopped pissing it all over the Kalgoorlie dust pit. Plenty of water over here. Most the major rivers are running...my gripe is with the amount of water. Having trouble getting to my favorite camp spots!!! LOL
Im sure only half of what i have said is true and all of it is just one opinion...but lay off the rain...I need to get in the roof n do some work this weekend.

Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » August 12th, 2015, 9:50 pm

The snow is just as annoying...

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » August 12th, 2015, 11:04 pm

Flathead Fred wrote:The snow is just as annoying...
I would find snow very entertaining.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 12th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Snow?
Wouldn't know, never seen it here in the Wild West.
But damn my backs giving me the gip shoveling all this sunshine off my driveway every morning to get the car out! :lol: :lol:

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » August 16th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Rain, rain go away, down the drain and wasted.

I quite like the rain but it does make it a bit annoying
not being able to work on things outside,or have a channel
on television presenting the weather to get it right.

The amount of water we waste is a joke.

If they would make mandatory rainwater tanks on new houses
or start recycling some more water there wouldn't be anything to whinge about.
As far as restrictions and not having enough water go. The water coming out
of our tap in the house is almost undrinkable from the amount of chlorine in it.

Then you sit and watch all the rain go down the drain.

The government should be ashamed of themselves.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 16th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Had to buy water the other day......

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”