Dingo's? Not dogs tho! What's good? What to avoid?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Dingo's? Not dogs tho! What's good? What to avoid?

Unread post by Shann Low » August 8th, 2015, 1:39 am

Nah not the Fido ones!

Kicking around with the idea of buying a lil Dingo and Lucas mill....

Anyone had anything to do with these lil suckers? (Hired and used them, owned them)?

There's a few different brands these days.. Kanga's and Vermeers and Ramrods as well.

Just curious if anyone knows much about them - whats good whats not - what to avoid etc?.

Not planning to use it myself...

My days of milling logs etc are long behind me.

I've made a few slab tables and chairs etc over the years - but I'm not looking to go back and do it all again....

But the eldest lad is looking for something to do with his spare time, when its too wet to drive road trains etc.
At the moment he goes out and cuts firewood and sells it on his days off to make ends meet on one wage with a young family etc.

He is a qualified faller and does some contract falling as well for private property owners, of 'problem trees' on farms and the like as well - so often there's logs available to him off private property that he could mill up for slabs and / or lumber and make a much better return on his 'time' skills and qualifications - than just cutting and selling 'firewood' which is the lowest form of return on timber.

He just needs the gear basically - and he also needs something he can do a little 'contracting' etc with some 'gear' that he can offset the interest and depreciate it etc, to get more of his substantial tax bill from trucking back each year!.

So I am doing a little homework about the available options is all...
He's a good all rounder - with a zillion quals / tickets to operate pretty much anything that flies floats or has wheels, so could go and do contract fence post holes on local farms, etc!

Anything to get a better return on his down time, when he isn't driving trucks coz the farms are too wet in middle of winter to cart grain or deliver lime sands etc.

Just thinking if he had a lil dingo and forks, portable mill - he could produce a far more valuable end product than firewood with his time and skills.

But I haven't ever used a 'dingo' myself..... so don't know a great deal about them.

Keen to hear from anyone who has used any of the variants and what their thoughts are...

Cheers

GBC
Part of the furniture

Re: Dingo's?

Unread post by GBC » August 8th, 2015, 7:29 am

We had a k94 for a few years. Those photos flatter it. Price wise something like a huski 8 isn't much more and if confined space or tow weight isn't an issue then you'd go that way every time for general contracting. Stand on machines aren't fun to drive, are less stable, get stuck much easier (you could bog it in that pile of sawdust). If you are on soft or uneven ground a positrack will outperform again, but at a cost. Ditch witch do a positrack, hydro drive (our dingo was chain drive), stand on unit (850 model?) which I have seen in action a couple of times and was majorly impressed for something you can tow behind a ute. I have no idea how much they cost. Dingos also struggle to load into something like a Mitsubishi canter 3.5 which we also have.
I'm not saying don't buy a dingo, they punch well enough for what they are, rather do a list of must haves in terms of lift height, type of ground you're working on etc and if you think a dingo is going to do the work or not. It will do a bit around a static mill but it isn't going to be any use collecting timber in the scrub, much less towing that log in the first picture on anything but dead level ground.

nilla60

Re: Dingo's? Not dogs tho! What's good? What to avoid?

Unread post by nilla60 » August 8th, 2015, 9:53 pm

I think Bobcat has a patent or something on the pivot for the arm being above/behind the rear wheels. The further forward the pivot point, the more unstable. Friends have an Avante (sp?) and it topples forward really easily if you do not pay attention. Engine also seemed under specc'ed for more than casual use, especially in an Aussie summer.

How about a proper tractor and road register it so it can tow the mill too? Another friend has an old Inter backhoe that just refuses to die, not bad value if you are willing to keep nursing along an old tractor. Bunch of other work you can do with a backhoe as well that you can't do with a Dingo.

Guy down the corner has a little rubber tracked excavator. That's a pretty handy unit as it's large enough to not be a toy, but still able to sneak into backyards where you can't get a regular backhoe.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 8th, 2015, 11:28 pm

Yep you guys could be onto something, its a question of working out where to start.
There's a LOT of different makes of various machines out there these days.
I am a fan of old gear well maintained restored and looked after...
When I was milling I started with an old WW2 grey Fergy - the TEA20 - which would run on kero even if necessary!.
It was just a small thing with 3 point & PTO. 20 Horses BUT they were all Clydesdales!. :lol:
I had it 20 years and it did tremendous work.. on the farm as well as pushing and pulling logs - scraping sawdust away etc.
Then the 110 Inter with FEL and fork lift forks came along and I wondered how we ever made do with the ol Fergie.
I will keep doing the homework.
Collies a big town with 20,000 approx.. so a lot of farmers around there have big tractors and FEL etc.
Its really smaller stuff for "in town" contract work...
Back in the day everyone had big blocks and you could access the back yard with a bob cat, but these days blocks are smaller and smaller.. access to the rear is tighter and tighter.
Dunno - scratching my head to be honest!

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » August 9th, 2015, 10:00 am

Like buying boats mate, everything is a compromise.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 9th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Managed to get a good look at a Lucas Mill in action down at the local "wood show" today!.
Quite happy with the details on one of those... :thumb:
Now it's all about tipping trailers and plant... that can handle short (2.5m) logs sections and sawn lumbar / slabs.
Yeah, 'boat' is probably a good analogy. (Break Out Another Thousand)! :rolleyes:

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”